Still waiting on 777LG 30th - cancel and refund? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Still waiting on 777LG 30th - cancel and refund?

Seeking opinions. I paid for my green 30th in full at the end of February. Neither the salesman nor I knew about the CITES delays. It's a good Canadian store chain and my guy has been trying to do what he can with this, but the distributor, Efkay, refuses to give him any details. He gets the chain's national buyer to inquire as well, and Efkay refuses to tell even HIM anything.

This is a new one for me. I've never sat around for over four months waiting for a guitar I've paid for. A friend has advised me to consider canceling the sale and trying my luck somewhere with a distributor who can actually get these guitars into Canada. I'm not completely confident that I'll be able to secure another all that easily, or at least not without paying some hideous exchange rate (the Canadian dollar... she's not great).

I'm looking for any advice and experience you have. I really want my guitar. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 05:34 PM
Vendor

Re: Still waiting on 777LG 30th - cancel and refund?

Would you rather have a distributor give the dealer a line of BS and just string you along? Or, get no answer, because they can't get or don't know how to get an answer?

They're telling you they will get your guitar, the rest just "is what it is".
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Oh for sure, I'm not wishing they would just placate me with a lie. It's just that they've had a few come in and sent them to other cities, and now both my immediate salesman and his national buyer both find that they're being unusually and frustratingly evasive and uninformative when it comes to getting one to me. If it's going to be another four months, for example, I'd rather know up front so that I can consider my options.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 06:35 PM
Vendor

If your dealer had them come in and went elsewhere then that's where you are [or your dealer is] on the allocation list. Have you asked them to explain that to you?

US imports end with the next container, I have no doubt we've stolen most of the early allocation, we're their largest market.

You're obviously not going to get a reliable ETA. If you can't wait cancel the order, after you find another one already in stock.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvavra View Post

I'm looking for any advice and experience you have. I really want my guitar. Thanks in advance.
Do not cancel. I waited nearly six months for mine. Just a matter of two weeks before it arrived, I did have thoughts about just cancelling and using the money for something else. I'm glad I didn't. The guitar is 100% worth the wait and worth the fun. Seriously. You will regret giving up when all you had to do was just sit tight and wait.

I totally get the frustrations but, as you've been told, the distribution for these has just been a bit of a muddle. The best thing to do is to simply accept that and wait.

The fun hasn't even started yet. Trust me.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 08:28 AM

Wish there was some way I was able to help out, there are so many here in Japan where I live... of all three color options, just waiting in stores. Shipping from Japan also is about half of what it is in the US. I think Ishibashi in Japan ships overseas, and they do have an English website. Not trying to promote anything, but just seems like a shame there are so many still waiting where there are so many available.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 09:29 AM

Reviews: 3

I had no official news about mine since January; only that CITES is THE reason of the delays. Yesterday I received a call that mine will be on the shop tomorrow. Maybe if you cancel yours today the guitar shows up yesterday. The real problem is if you have one allocated to you for sure. As you have paid I asume that it is. The dealer is the only that can gibe you a certain response to that.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 10:55 PM

I feel your pain. I have been waiting for mine since February as well. I also thought about canceling my order but thought better of it. It sucks when you see 5 or more on eBay or Reverb. I guess a few more weeks won't hurt.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 02:59 PM

Hi,

There are four more of those guitars slated for Canada, so just try to relax and you will get one.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 07:36 PM

It took a couple months to get my BFP through Sweetwater and since I was already locked into their payment plan and making payments I stuck it out.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 11:32 PM

Don't Cancel.
I know your pain because I have been there before.(just like many of us have been)
By now this should be the end of the waiting time.
It is frustrating but it is what it is. Patience. I had to learn the same myself.
I got my DY about 2 months ago, but the SK I ordered is expected to come on the next shipment (to Canada) that is expected to be available by the end of this month of July. Is likely that your guitar is coming on this one.

Since I was showing up often to my local store where I ordered about the status of my order, I realized based on the way the representative talked on the phone to the distributor(the only one for Ibanez in Canada), that they were fully aware of "Those guitars". After realizing that, I stopped asking until I got the call to pick up the DY.
My guess (based on similar issue I have witness on other industries) is that the distributor might be giving priority first to their biggest/ or key customers and fulfilling those orders first, then filling up the remaining orders(coming on different shipments). It is possible that this is the reason as to why despite the arrival of a few LG in the past, they ended up going to other stores/customers even when you ordered around the time of announcement.
Also out of the 3 colors the LG is the one most people are going crazy over it, so there is competition to get them too.
Just have a bit more patience and we all really hope it does arrive by the end of this month.
It is worth the wait.
So please don't cancel or give up, now that it's arrival is imminent.
Let us know when it arrives
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 06:01 PM

Get mine today; great guitar but horrible "reissue", nothing matches an '87.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vy100 View Post
Get mine today; great guitar but horrible "reissue", nothing matches an '87.
I don't have an original JEM but do have a 1987 RG550 which is essentially the same guitar minus the fancy stuff. So when I got my 30th I felt let down it was substantially different from the 1987 model.

Now after playing my 30th for a few months it has quickly become my favorite guitar. Love the thinner frets, flatter fretboard and the EVO pickups. The thing is wonderful.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The TPS Report View Post
I don't have an original JEM but do have a 1987 RG550 which is essentially the same guitar minus the fancy stuff. So when I got my 30th I felt let down it was substantially different from the 1987 model.

Now after playing my 30th for a few months it has quickly become my favorite guitar. Love the thinner frets, flatter fretboard and the EVO pickups. The thing is wonderful.
I like the neck on mine pretty much and surprised about how good it sounds, I'm very used to EVO's and didn't expect the big difference I hear compared to a BSB or a 90th ann I have that are also basswood + EVOs. But the pink color of the humbuckers and the switch tip have nothing to do with the pink color of an '87, knobs are awfull, the neck carve is closer to a J Custom than to an '87, the frets are 6150 not 6100 and lacks the MOJO of an 80-90s hand finished neck, feels way more like a "perfect production neck". The only thing they have matched close to an '87 is a hair-line neck joint crack on the bass side. Hey Rich have you seen and or rejected any because of neck joint cracks?
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 02:32 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The TPS Report View Post
Now after playing my 30th for a few months it has quickly become my favorite guitar. Love the thinner frets, flatter fretboard and the EVO pickups.
Flatter fretboard? Yours is not 430mm radius?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode