Stock JEM Dimarzios vs aftermarket Dimarzios - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 11
Stock JEM Dimarzios vs aftermarket Dimarzios

Ok, some of you will call me crazy on this, but here it goes. I recently bought a newer JEM (1999). The pickups are Dimarzio EVO's (or so they say). The pickups themselves say "Dimarzio" on the lower corner. I didn't like the tone of these pickups and wanted to swap them out. I played a buddies guitar that had aftermarket EVO's that didn't say "Dimarzio" on them and the thing screamed! It was an Ibanez 770. It got me thinking...are aftermarket pickups better (or just different) than the pickups Ibanez gets from Dimarzio? I bought a set of EVO's from Guitar Center came home and swapped the old one's with the new ones and all I can say is...WOW! I couldn't stop playing. The guitar sounded amazing. 100% better!

IMO -> Ibanez gets a deal on these pickups probably because they say Dimarzio on them and I think Dimarzio cut's corners or something. They are NOT the same pickups you buy in the store. The pickups I swapped out of my JEM sounded like complete s**t! The new aftermarket pickups (same model) sound amazing! $130 later.

Have any of you experienced this phenomenon?

Thanks,
-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 12:54 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
this is soley due to quality control by dimarzio (and placebo effect)... glen
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

Well, if you say so, Glen...I believe you.

Thanks,
-Chris
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 01:03 AM
Vendor

I had no idea you could buy a Dimarzio that didn't say Dimarzio on it.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 01:17 AM

neither did I. But like this guy said...he bought the same model pickup and they sounded completely different. I agree with Glen..I think it's quality control.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 01:17 AM

You can rich I have a paf pro that doesnt say it. A little odd if you ask me as well, most companys advertise quite blatantly, hell look how big the logo is on most duncans. Quality control is a huge factor. Also hot ups trucks is a big factor as well. Its possible the guitar was left in hot enough an area that the wax potting melted.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 01:23 AM
Vendor

Before 93' [I think that's the year] none of the Dimarzio's have that imprint. I think any since that don't have it are screwups where they didn't match up an imprinted bobin with the regular bobin.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 01:28 AM

So back to the point, why the hell did the Evolutions in the Jem sounded ****house compared to the aftermarket ones that you brought??

If that is the case, then why not just get a cheaper guitar and put PAF pros or Evos in them??
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys.

Grev - Buying aftermarket pickups and putting them in cheaper guitars IS what people do.

The point is, a top of the line model like a JEM should have these quality pickups in them already...which they do. The particular guitar I had, the pickups sounded crappy. Maybe they were wired wrong. Who knows. My line of thought was if the aftermarket pickups sounded so much better than the stock one's, maybe Ibanez got a better deal on a less quality pickup from Dimarzio and called it an "EVO". I couldn't imagine an inferior pickup on a JEM though. I figured if Ibanez can come out with a "333" model, anything is possible!

I looked at all the Dimarzios GC had in stock (paf's, tone zones, breeds) and I don't recall any of them saying "Dimarzio" on them.

-Chris
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 05:41 AM

It would be interesting to measure the output of your "crappy" EVO compared to a good one. Just hook the output wire's to an oscilloscope and see if there is any difference between them that can be measured.
Oh, and compare the numbers to the output voltage listed on http://jemsite.com/axes/htm_features/pickup_specs.htm too.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
I think it's just a case of a duff pickup I've got guitars with aftermarket Evo's and stock Evo's and they sound very similar, guitar construction differences withstanding and all that.

If you bought the same pickup as a replacement, stick the originals in the boxes and offload them to some chump on ebay hush my mouth did *I* say that?!?!?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 11:35 AM
rvj

Are you sure the pick-ups you removed are Evo's? Was your guitar bought new or used? Look at the bottom of the pup and see if there is a DiMarzio part number. I have a couple of older green DiMarzio's laying around and neither says DiMarzio on the bobbin. They do however, have it stamped on the bottom plate.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 11:36 PM

Just for the record I recently bought a ToneZone and an Air Norton and neither have Dimarzio logo on the front. It is stamped on the back with the model number and an "F" for F-spaced.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 12:00 AM

Is it possible that manufacturers put their logo on p/u's that go to guitar makers, simply so that the person buying the guitar will know what's in the axe?
If you go in to buy a replacement, you know what you're asking for, or if not, there will be a big ass logo on the box.
No need for a logo on the p/u itself...
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 07:08 AM

It also could be that pickup manufacturers and guitar makers have realized that more than likely the pickups are going to get changed anyway and are just funneling their "B" stock for standard insalls off the line.

Sure....generally you'd expect better from Ibanez and Dimarzio but you just never know. I have to wonder if anyone else got a bum pickup in their Jem.

Tags
air norton , dimarzio evo , evo pickups , green dimarzio , paf pro , paf pros , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode