Stolen/recoverd Jem777VBK - thinking of new 77V - diff? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Stolen/recoverd Jem777VBK - thinking of new 77V - diff?

First post but I've been to this incredible site many times over the years.

I've had a 777VBK for almost 20 years and have always dearly loved it. Two weeks ago it was stolen and quickly recovered. It was in almost perfect condition before but sadly, no longer. It was apparently thrown from a car. (what is wrong with people?) It seems to play ok but was sitting in the snow and who knows how hard of a hit(s) it took when thrown from the car. The body is very dinged up, along with the headstock.

I'm thinking of buying a new 77V. I'm really torn but I think I'll have a hard time seeing the dings every time I pick it up.

I know the pickups and the neck attachment are different but what else has changed? Is the neck thinner now?

Has anybody played both and can say how different they are feel wise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 11:54 AM

Re: Stolen/recoverd Jem777VBK - thinking of new 77V - diff?

Welcome to Jemsite! Sorry to hear about your guitar. I can't help you too much on your questions, but I just want to say look on the bright side. At least you still have it.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 11:58 AM

Reviews: 6

If it still plays great and nothing is wrong with it's tone. Play the hell out of it man. Look at it this way, the dings and what not are battle scars. You're guitar has some character from what it went through.

Yeah it sucks when a prized possession gets yanked and then returned FUBAR'd. But like I say if it plays well, then go for it. Look at it this way, you'll always have a good story to tell when someone asks you how the guitar got some of the jacked up dings in it.

I'd keep it....
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 08:41 AM

Sure man, now you have a great story behind it. I'd keep it and use it as a player guitar.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob99 View Post
First post but I've been to this incredible site many times over the years.

I've had a 777VBK for almost 20 years and have always dearly loved it. Two weeks ago it was stolen and quickly recovered. It was in almost perfect condition before but sadly, no longer. It was apparently thrown from a car. (what is wrong with people?) It seems to play ok but was sitting in the snow and who knows how hard of a hit(s) it took when thrown from the car. The body is very dinged up, along with the headstock.

I'm thinking of buying a new 77V. I'm really torn but I think I'll have a hard time seeing the dings every time I pick it up.

I know the pickups and the neck attachment are different but what else has changed? Is the neck thinner now?

Has anybody played both and can say how different they are feel wise?
Actually, I would like to know how the thieves would feel with their balls removed with hedge clippers. Rusty ones that don't close all the way. Treating a Jem like that! I agree using it as a player guitar. Guitars are meant to be played anyway! Rick Nielsen regularly drops '57 Les Pauls on the floor and just picks them up, retunes and plays again.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 02:24 PM

Sorry to hear that, really troglodite people!

It's something different, thinner neck, different neck joint and pickup...I own a dy wich is the same as yours...liked the newer one like 7v but when I picked up a 77v was very very pleased with it, loved it! very nice mellow tone from the breeds, to my 777 ears are quite better sounding than the sharper evos. If i had to change my dy for another Jem I woild definitely go for it!
Playability is awesome like every else jem and felt very natural to play to me!

Hope that can help you !
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 02:43 PM

Reviews: 3

If the headstock, neck joint and body wood aren´t broken (only finish cracks, ding and dongs here and there) I would look for a luthier to refinish it. Black is easy to fix. (You can also buy the 77vbk!, they are different beasts).
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 03:47 PM

A refinish isnt a must, play the **** out of it. Its been your companion for years now. Keep it that way.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 03:56 PM

Glad you got it back! If I could get back my stolen guitars with a few dings, I'd take that in a minute.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses and kind words!

Believe me, I'm glad to have it back. I'm just going to have a hard time looking at the dings every time I pick it up. Maybe refinishing is the way to go.

I just can't understand why somebody would steal it and then throw it out a car window. If you want the thing, take it... if not leave it alone.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 05:09 PM

You should put some pics up to show us this lovely guitar.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 10:50 PM

Were the thieves caught?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 01:41 AM

Reviews: 30
Unhappy Re: Stolen/recoverd Jem777VBK - thinking of new 77V - diff?

It's a shame people haven't the respect for ones things sometimes. Who knows what means the world to people they steal from. I understand not being able to look at the dings and what not. I've had somewhat similar experiences and it leaves a violated, tainted perspective of your retrieved items. But, the fact you got it back should be a sign that the guitar was meant for you. Kind of a deep story that a lot of folks outside this community wouldnn't think much of, but I'm sure you have the whole board's sympathy. Take care dude. Hope they are brought to justice.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 05:34 AM

My heart-felt condolences…

I’ve just had to retire my 18 year old Jem77FP. I agree with most that you should continue playing her if the damage is only cosmetic. Being rather fussy about finish myself I would probably buy a 77VBK as well if finances allow it. Then you have two similar but different guitars. One in spotless condition and one with a history…

I am also busy choosing a new replacement guitar. Choosing between a 7VWH and 7VBK myself… (J-Custom was my first choice but new regulations mean no more selling of new J-Customs to International buyers…)

When comparing my 77FP with a 7VWH, the old neck feels thicker while the fretboard feels narrower. The upper fret access is a huge advantage on the new version. If you decide to purchase a new 77VBK just make sure you get the latest one that comes with an Edge trem instead of the Edge Pro that has been discontinued. If purchasing from Ibanez Rules you have the option of upgrading the stock Edge to a low-pro edge at a nominal fee. Then you’ll have the same feel you have gotten used to over the years. All of the best!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
Were the thieves caught?
Nope, not yet.

Tags
jem777vbk vs. jem77v

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode