Stratsound on Ibanez... - What "strat-sound" is impossible t - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-02-2002, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Stratsound on Ibanez... - What "strat-sound" is impossible t

I`m interested in a Ibanez JEM mostly because of options like lo-pro edge tremolo and 24 frets...and killer looks!! (Ok, some have great stock pu's aswell)
Some of my inspiration comes from those Ibanez players like Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai, John Petrucci etc.
But also from Fender players like Yngwie Malmsteen and Chris Impellitteri...(and of course Eric Clapton and Hendrix too)

So how would Malmsteen runs would sound on a JEM??
I doubt many of you have heard Impellitteri but if you have I wonder if you think that sound is only possible in a strat..... I`m pretty much in the choice of either a used Ibanez JEM or MIA Fender Strat...
If the only sound only availible in the Strat is the Clapton and Hendrix sound no problem, but I tend to like the Malmsteen and Impellitteri sound very much! I know the strat has the twangier fat sound.

(I may have twisted thoughts. I`ve been brainwahsed by harmony-central forumites =) )
Please help me out.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-02-2002, 09:32 PM

Stratsound on Ibanez...

Position 4 on a JEM is all you need, in my opinion.....roll back the tone and the volume a bit, and there it is.....

And you doubt many of us have heard or heard of Chris Impelliterri? *aka the fastest player in the world? *Nah, never heard of him....
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-02-2002, 09:41 PM

Stratsound on Ibanez...

regarding the malmsteen sound: as far as pickups go, you wont sound the same without a neck single coil. on the other hand, i think yngwie's sound is based a lot on a wide vibrato, with scalloped frets and high action.
regarding impelliteri: not only we've heard him, we flame him every time his name is mentioned!

unsolicited advice: if you want both, get a RG5XX and a mexican strat.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-02-2002, 10:12 PM

Stratsound on Ibanez...

I own a G&L Legacy which I've custom wired to allow for all seven single coil pup combinations. *I think each combination is pretty unique and useful in its own way and unfortunately, you'll be hard pressed to get many of these tones on a jem. *I specifically like the neck pup alone, the neck middle combo (very Hendrixy of course), the bridge and neck (tele tone), and all three single coils at once. *

This is, of course, why you need multiple guitars to cover most pup configurations (three singles, two humbuckers, HSS - in both 6 and 7 string varieties). *I'm still building such an arsenal...
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-02-2002, 11:29 PM

Stratsound on Ibanez...

Some would agree with me here, and others may not. *But im a firm believer that if you want a "strat" sound. *Buy a Stratocaster *:-) *Nothing else is going to match it.....nothings like the real deal imho.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-02-2002, 11:33 PM

Stratsound on Ibanez...

Woah! I just checked out some Impelliteri.. It's like Yngwie.. but better! Awesome!

As for the strat sound, position 4 will get pretty close, but being a fanatic about both the 7VWH and my 50th Anniversary Strat, I'd have to say that you'll come close but you won't nail the strat sound with a Jem.. but you sure as hell won't get even remotely close to the Jem sound with a Strat. So if you're looking for the best of both worlds, the Jem is your best bet. It'll get A strat sound but not THE strat sound.. know what I mean?
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-03-2002, 12:46 AM

Stratsound on Ibanez...

I would say buy something BUILT like a strat. *Many brands do "strat" as well as or better than Fender these days, and at better prices. *Yamaha, Carvin, etc. *But you do need that construction in mind. *Basswood 24 fretters with hot humbuckers, a locking trem, and no pickguard sure ain't gonna do it.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-03-2002, 02:49 AM

Stratsound on Ibanez...

To be honest, I like the tone of a Yngwie run on the humbuckers in the neck anyway...of course it's just me, but I've never liked the high end of singles...

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-03-2002, 06:13 AM Thread Starter

Stratsound on Ibanez...

Quote:
Kremlin on 11:33 pm on Feb. 2, 2002
Woah! I just checked out some Impelliteri.. It's like Yngwie.. but better! Awesome!

As for the strat sound, position 4 will get pretty close, but being a fanatic about both the 7VWH and my 50th Anniversary Strat, I'd have to say that you'll come close but you won't nail the strat sound with a Jem.. but you sure as hell won't get even remotely close to the Jem sound with a Strat. So if you're looking for the best of both worlds, the Jem is your best bet. It'll get A strat sound but not THE strat sound.. know what I mean?
I know what you mean....
Impellitteri is awesome!! Made me buy the first album in 2 years!! (*cough*Maybe cause I have 600 songs on my computer*cough* but anyways...)

Quote:
caprile on 9:41 pm on Feb. 2, 2002
regarding impelliteri: not only we've heard him, we flame him every time his name is mentioned!
Why would you flame him!?!?....except for his "I am the fastest" attitude....
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-03-2002, 10:24 AM

Stratsound on Ibanez...

I say go with a jem, jem, jem.
Jems can sound pretty close to a strat. *Close enough that a lot of people can't tell. *But a nothing can come close to a jem. *Hands done, best guitar ever made. *Even if your buying a 555. *Great tremelo control, great feel, better looking, and I like it because all of my freinds have a Fender, so it makes me different. *I have an old 777 black with green pickups, and they love it so much. *Honestly, If you could buy both then do it, but if you can only buy 1, the choice is obvious.
I'm sure many will agree,and many will disagree.....
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-03-2002, 11:12 AM

Stratsound on Ibanez...

I totally agree. There is a magic... a "vibe" about a Strat that's hard to reproduce. But c'mon, it's basically a what? 50, 60 year old guitar idea. Talk about innovation! :sarcasm: A JEM is a work of art, and tecnically, probably a much better, well thought-out guitar. (NO disrespect to Strats. I love 'em!) And you'll get.... maybe 90% close to a Strat sound on postion 4 on yer JEM. It's a nice sound (C'mon, 90% is waaaay closer than most other Super-Strat style guitars.)
BTW, check out the DiMarzio specs on the YJM model pickups... hum-cancelling, single-coil sized. Maybe not a 'TRUE' Strat sound, but Yngwie tears 'em up and makes 'em scream!
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-03-2002, 12:14 PM

Stratsound on Ibanez...

Quote:
Wordwolf on 4:12 pm on Feb. 3, 2002
There is a magic... a "vibe" about a Strat that's hard to reproduce. But c'mon, it's basically a what? 50, 60 year old guitar idea.
Of course, it's worth pointing out that the major design features of most instruments have been fixed for a lot longer. Not to mention that the fact that Leo began designing the Strat when electronic music equipment was still pretty much in its infancy, and before any of the major rock and roll guitar heroes were around - and still created something that stands up in almost every kind of music barring ultra-gain detuned metal, almost fifty years later - tells us that the man got just about everything right.

I love my Ibanez guitars, and I love the new developments in guitar technology that keep things interesting. But I still find the pleasure of playing a 21-fret single-coil equipped Strat through a single-channel tube amp can keep me happy for hours at a time, especially on the middle pickup.

Quote:
Talk about innovation! :sarcasm:
Careful, fella, or I'll have to point out that three extra frets, a couple of humbuckers, a locking tremolo and a Monkey Grip doesn't add up to a giant step for guitarplayerkind in my book...
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-03-2002, 01:11 PM

Stratsound on Ibanez...

Passive pickup technology, clunky bolt-on necks, paint jobs from Leave It To Beaver, 60 cycle hum, tuners that look like they were made from a can of tuna, tremelos that do everything BUT stay in tune, passive tone controls (tone? Huh? I thought tone controls were something you find of battery powered AM transistor radios)... did I miss something?

BTW, I STILL love Strats, but that's no claim on it being a modern instrument. Maybe if guitar players weren't so hidebound by tradition, manufacturers/luthiers would wake up to the 21'st century. But, ahh... a Strat thru a cranked tube amp, ooh yeah, no argument there.

Double BTW. Here's how I think
Neck-thru 7-string w/ active/passive mode, 3 band active EQ, peizo on a trem bridge that LOCKS, locking tuners, Sustainer, MIDI saddles in bridge, multi-output, and a light up display on the fretboard! Leo Fender who? :biggrin:
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-03-2002, 03:24 PM

Stratsound on Ibanez...

Quote:
Wordwolf on 1:11 pm on Feb. 3, 2002
Double BTW. Here's how I think
Neck-thru 7-string w/ active/passive mode, 3 band active EQ, peizo on a trem bridge that LOCKS, locking tuners, Sustainer, MIDI saddles in bridge, multi-output, and a light up display on the fretboard! Leo Fender who? :biggrin:
Sign me up for one of those! *Oh wait, you forgot one thing: *Self-tuning. *lol *And, also, won't that be one HEAVY @$$ guitar?
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-03-2002, 04:44 PM

Stratsound on Ibanez...

You want to know what another guitar is that I feel, is good, but not exactly to my liking? *A Les Paul, whatever colour make, etc... *
Okay, maybe I'll be boldly ignorant here, but does anyone else feel like playing one is kinda like picking up a peice of lumber with strings? *It sounds nice, and players that have more talent that me in thier pinky finger play them, but I just don't understand.... :idunno:
I know they serve a good function, for a particularly good type of music, but....*
It just doesn't feel like a guitar to me. *Same with a strat. *Its like there's something missing from the both of 'em. *It's not a refined "axe" so to speak. *I guess some might think a real 'axe' is out of style now.
Now, a jem....now were talking....feels like a CARVED peice of wood....you can actually do some tricks....
Anyway, just my humble opinion.

Tags
bridge pickup , edge trem , eric clapton , fender strat , fret neck , guitar players , guitar tech , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , john petrucci , leo fender , les paul , les pauls , locking tremolo , locking tuners , mexican strat , monkey grip , neck pickup , neck pickup tone , neck pup , paul gilbert , pro edge , pro edge trem , pro edge tremolo , scalloped frets , signature strat , steve vai , strat sound , strat style , strat style guitar , tube amp , yngwie malmsteen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode