Stress crack - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

Stress crack

maybe this has been covered before but i can't find it in any previous posts. one of the first things i look for when i shop a jem is that damn stress crack on the neck joint. why do they do that? it's just the way they are designed i heard. i also heard that Steve's vwh's have such a large stress crack that you can put 2 quarters stacked together into the crack...playability is not affected. well that's good but i would rather have no crack at all! no other brand guitar i have owned does this! the 2000 vwh i have has no sign of any crack whatsoever. i have been told, "you got a jem? you got a stress crack." that's not acceptable especially with the tall $$$ they charge. even if it is only cosmetic, i don't dig fault lines. so what's the story on this? i'm sure someone knows. seems like ibanez has an i don't care attitude. great guitars / poor design architecturally? anyone have one and it got so bad you didn't want to play yer guitar? not me but i'm just curious what your experiences / thoughts have been.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 08:25 AM

I see stress cracks in Fenders now and again, but not nearly as many as I do see on Ibanez'. I have a Telecaster with one that came with it when I bought it 14 years ago. The crack has never moved or gotten any bigger but it is still there.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 10:11 AM

I thought it was a more common occurence with the non-AANJ Jems and UVs. Can you post a picture of what you are talking about...I don't know that I have ever seen one.
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 12:27 PM

shredmaster;
I know exactly what you're talking about. It happens on my first "rg 450 (1992)... "I bought it new but the guy from the guitar shop told me that crack will happen one day... So I wasn't very stressed about it and it did happen!!!
When I bought my first "used jem bfp" 3 years later, I noticed the same crack next to the neck joint ...
...So it doesn't matter for me... i've got a new jem fp and I'm waiting to see that crack happen again (I don't want it but if crack appear, that's life!)
I do agree with gresh... I think there's not a problem anymore in the usa for new models because of the AANJ... You don't have anymore jem fp (the last one with non AANJ) in the USA.

I know what you feel about it... But try to live with because there's nothing we can do about it... I hope that it makes you feel better (you're not the only one and together we're stronger).
See ya
JS
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 01:01 PM

It may be less common with AANJs, but it still happens. The only 2 AANJ guitars I had were 2 SC620s, and they both had them. Maybe the mahogany is more susceptible to this than basswood; I dunno.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 02:55 PM

two quarters stacked together??? sounds a little extreme to me but who knows
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 03:27 PM

shred, can you post a picture of this crack?
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

i don't have a photo to post, since, luckily, my 2 jems i have now don't have it. the couple that did (and they were really really minor) have been sold. hopefully i will NEVER have a photo of this to post.

yeah, that 2 quarter thing sounds crazy to me as well.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 06:34 PM
Vendor

Who started this topic, Ed Roman??
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

why is that?
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 07:06 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
stress cracks are a normal varient and nothing to worry about. this has been discussed many times in the forum... search "stress crack" or "neck crack"... glen
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 08:25 PM
Vendor

Because it read like something I'd read on his site.

Extremely rarely will you see a stress crack on an aanj, which all Jems are today. So maybe I just don't get the point of your post?
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 09:07 PM

My Squire Strat has a crack exactly like the JEMs are known to get. I think it's just a bolt-on neck thing and nothing to worry about.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 10:58 PM

my 11 year old ibanez (non aanj) doesn't have the slightest crack.

it doesn't have the slightest scratch either
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 10:59 PM

two hands:

detention for you! write 100 times:

squiER
squiER
squiER

Tags
custom shop , finger board , guitar shop , ibanez guitars , jem bfp , les paul , les pauls , local luthier , locking nut , neck joint , neck joints , prestige necks , scarf joint , squire strat , steve vai , string tension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode