String choking - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
MJC

String choking

Hey,

Recently I purchased a JS1200CA (2006 model) but as expected it came with a less than desirable set up. I've been trying to set it up myself but without leaving the action really high the strings choke badly on the first string while bending. It's especially bad on frets 12 and 15. I like to play with a low action so this is especially irritating! Does anyone have any tips on how I might overcome this?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 03:49 PM
Dee

Re: String choking

Is there a shim in the neck pocket? I had similar issues with an old guitar, choking in the same place as yours. Mine was partially fixed by removing the shim, then adjusting the bridge to correct the action. Other than that, maybe you need to adjust the truss rod a little.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
MJC

I'm not quite sure to be honest. Would the truss rod nut be turned to the left to bend the neck in a concave direction?

Not meaning to derail this but I have another question. On this guitar I can hear the pick attack really loudly (1mm picks I'm using) especially on the top three strings (increasing in noise as I move up the fret board). Could this be anything to do with the set up at all?

Thanks again.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 05:04 PM
Dee

The pick attack might be the actual pick -- try Jim Dunlop nylon 1mm's, they are much quieter than most other picks I've tried over the last 27 years. It could be the action is too low at the top of the neck, so maybe the strings are rattling against the frets quite a bit. You might also want to try turning down the presence control on your amp. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious. Without seeing the guitar, I'd guess it's the fret rattle. I think you need to unbolt the neck and try removing the shim if there is one. Screw it back together and try again.

For the truss rod, see Rich's guide at the Ibanez Rules site. Click the banner at the top of the page and look in the Tech section.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 06:38 PM

I've never seen a shim plate used on a JS1200CA. I'd check out the truss rod 1st.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisstevenson View Post
I've never seen a shim plate used on a JS1200CA. I'd check out the truss rod 1st.
+1 bro
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 01:24 PM
Dee

How many JS1200 necks have you guys pulled?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 03:49 PM

Just 2 on JS1200's, plenty more on the old Radius series and RG, never once seen a shim, with regard to the JS1200's that was to examine damn neck pocket cracks.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
MJC

Ok, the good news is I solved the string choking (truss rod adjustment - thanks for the suggestion)! The bad news is I can't seem to figure out where this loud pick attack is coming from. Granted there should be some, but I don't feel there should be as much as I'm getting. I've tried using Jim Dunlop picks (1mm) and there is next to no difference in the amount of pick attack I'm hearing. One thing I have noticed is that the clearance on previous frets is a lot less on higher strings than lower strings. Could this affect it? Any other ideas at all? Maybe my technique just sucks .

P.S: I've tried changing pickup settings, tone settings, amp settings, different picks, different angles of attack, playing nearer the bridge or the neck - I could still hear the loud pick attack despite trying all of these.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 07:58 AM

Reviews: 18

There's nothing wrong with the pick attack. That's just how sensitive those Dimarzios are. Try picking a little softer (ever seen Paul Gilbert's videos?) or perhaps lowering the height of the pickups to muffle them a bit (though I really don't recommend that) but, if the pickups weren't that sensitive to pick attacks or touch in general, Joe couldn't do the harmonic pinches and other little techniques he likes to use while playing.

Jimmy
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 10:20 PM
Dee

Why do I always mis-read the title of this thread as "Chin Stroking"?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
MJC

Not meaning to sound too dense or make another thread, how does one go about removing the tremolo on a JS1200CA?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 09:10 AM

Reviews: 18

1. Loosen the nut

2. Loosen the strings

3. unhook the springs from the back of the trem one at a time while pulling up on the trem

4. Pull the trem gently off the posts and its cavity.

I hope this helps.

Jimmy
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 03:00 PM

Have you raised the pickups and that is why you are hearing the pick attack? Are you quite a heavy picker anyway?? is it possible to do a webcam veideo so we can gauge exactly what is going on or if what you are describing is normal.

Tags
amp settings , fret board , higher strings , jim dunlop , lower strings , neck pocket crack , neck pocket cracks , paul gilbert , rod adjustment , truss rod , truss rod adjustment , truss rod nut

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode