String Size - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
String Size Help

Anyone use 10-46 strings on a Jem7VWH. I put some on and I can't get my bridge to set flat. I have three springs in and they are screwed in most all the way. Should I just drop back to 9's?

Last edited by Thrash; 01-10-2007 at 10:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 10:53 PM

Re: String Size

If the springs are all set parallel to one another, you might want to try the arrowhead configuration. That gives a little more tension than the parallel without having to add another spring. If that doesn't work, add a forth, but back your trem claw way out to compensate.

Do a forum search, there's tons of threads on this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 11:29 PM

I got level with an Edge pro w/ 10s on 3 springs (parallel).
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 12:20 AM
Dee

If you do drop back to 9's, try these gauges (make a custom set from singles).

9, 12, 16, 24, 32, 44.

That's close to a "balanced" set. With regular 9's, the B and thick E string are too light, there's less tension on the B than there is even on the high E. Just a thought.

I find I'm most comfortable with 9's, and 10's are a touch too heavy. Making a balanced set evens it out somewhat and tension feels better.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Thep View Post
I got level with an Edge pro w/ 10s on 3 springs (parallel).
as did i
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 02:40 AM

I use 10's on all my guitars. No problem on Edge and LoPro Edge equipped guitars. I have never tried the newer types of trems though.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 12:57 PM

Had a VSBL for a while, I had 9s and 10s on that at different times, all balanced out with no problem, just takes a bit of adjusting.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 07:44 PM

WEll i have no idea what on my jem. since this tread is about strings then ill ask here. My low E string is sorta loose when i play. so when i play it open. it hits the first fret. and sounds like fret buzz but very loose fret buzz. it feels very stretched. like if u detuned a low E on a bass to like an A. that loose. its the right tuning but it loose. should i change that string with a bigger string?? if the strings i got where super slinkies would it be better to switch to regular slinky?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 07:36 AM

Reviews: 18
Smile Re: String Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazinAzian12 View Post
WEll i have no idea what on my jem. since this tread is about strings then ill ask here. My low E string is sorta loose when i play. so when i play it open. it hits the first fret. and sounds like fret buzz but very loose fret buzz. it feels very stretched. like if u detuned a low E on a bass to like an A. that loose. its the right tuning but it loose. should i change that string with a bigger string?? if the strings i got where super slinkies would it be better to switch to regular slinky?
Get a set of Blue Steel Custom Lite strings (9-46).

Jimmy
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazinAzian12;
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
Get a set of Blue Steel Custom Lite strings (9-46).
Jimmy
Have you had the guitar professionally set-up since you bought it? Have the frets been leveled? Don't bother buying heavier strings in an attempt to eliminate fret buzz.

Tags
equipped guitar , fret buzz , pro edge , trem claw

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode