studs in '03 7v - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 02:15 AM Thread Starter

studs in '03 7v

How bad are the studs in a 2003 Jem 7vwh really going to be? I mean whats the problem exactly? I read on Ibanezrules.com that it will be mostly a problem on basswood guitars that people try to lower the action on, so is it something I will have to worry about?

I do have a real good local repairman too who I am sure would have no problem implementing the fix for me, if it is actually necessary!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 12:22 PM

You may want to read the entire page on Rich's site, he goes into great detail on what the problem is, WHY the problem is and how he's fixed it.

I'm guessing that you stopped at the original review, before Rich even got his hands on one, since you quoted the part about it being a problem in basswood bodies . . . the potential for "ovaling" the holes the inserts are set in is the LEAST of your worries with these "new" studs.

Again, read all of Rich's article on it, you'll understand what's up. :-)

Mic
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicJustMic
You may want to read the entire page on Rich's site, he goes into great detail on what the problem is, WHY the problem is and how he's fixed it.

I'm guessing that you stopped at the original review, before Rich even got his hands on one, since you quoted the part about it being a problem in basswood bodies . . . the potential for "ovaling" the holes the inserts are set in is the LEAST of your worries with these "new" studs.

Again, read all of Rich's article on it, you'll understand what's up. :-)

Mic
I know it causes tuning instability too, but how bad is it really? The problem is, I dont have too much money to get it fixed and I wont do any more than a basic setup which I know how to do. If I can do it in 8 months or so, will there be any damage to the wood on the guitar, or will the tuning instability be unbearable?
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 04:29 PM

I don't have one myself, but a friend has an RG 370 with and Edge Pro II and while not the greatest, it stays in tune pretty well.

Pull it up and it has the double-neutral problem, but a quick push down and it's back in tune.

The fix Rich is using costs (I think) about $30 from his site, if you buy the guitar from him. He has a great reputation and I'll be buying an RG 1550 (with the fix) from him very soon. (I know I've been saying that for a year, but things are finally looking up :-) )

It actually depends on the guitar, I've heard of some that stay in tune perfectly with the 'new' studs and others that will go VERY sharp on pull-up.

As to damaging the wood, what Rich says is true, after about 10 years of abuse it could very well oval the holes on a basswood body, from the studs rocking in the anchors, but there are PLENTY of guitars out there that have OFR trems with no locking studs, made from various types of wood that are as old as this style of trem itself that are still playing just fine. So I'd say don't worry about it until it happens, and even if it does it's not very difficult to fix.

Another friend has an old American Standard Strat, from when they first put in the two point trems with the "String Saver" type saddles and his guitar is still just fine.
Granted you can't do "Vai-olent" tremming with that kind of bridge, but he goes "Hendrix" on it just about every day, and Jimi was no kitten with a whammy bar.

But as always when it comes to wood, YMMV.

If you're not buying from Rich, try the guitar you're thinking about buying, bring a tuner, ask the salesman to let you properly tune the guitar (even if it's not set up just right) and do some dives and pulls.

Can you live with it's performance?

Is the performance good? Bad? Ugly?

If the trem won't stay in tune but you're in love with the rest of the guitar, call Rich, he'll fix you up . . . it's cheap . . . easy . . . and it works.

If you're spending this much on the guitar already (you are aware of how much Jems cost right? ) what's another thirty-something dollars for new studs and the "fix"?

Of course there are those that argue that you shouldn't have to spend more, but I'll re-type my car example . . .

I bought a Thunderbird with the crappy Motorolla radio . . . knowing I was going to replace it almost before I got the car into my own driveway . . . did that bother me? Nope, I just went and got a new radio.

Many MANY people buy RG's and change the pickups . . . why? They don't like the stock ones . . . granted the studs are a problem, not a preferance, but since Ibanez doesn't see them as a problem, guess what? It's NOT a problem . . . such is life.

Mic
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 09:13 PM
Vendor

It's probably as much luck as anything, but I've had some 03's that had terrific tuning return, but most are terrible even though the stud groove profile is the best and the knives are factory ground thin. I make one change, the locking mod with good profile studs, tuning return is 1000% better if not near perfect.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

Here's the thing... I would buy from Rich (and maybe I will buy used from Rich still) but I need Guitar Center's 0% financing until 2005, even though Rich's prices ARE cheaper too! But it will be hard to obtain $40...

This one did not seem to have a problem at all, maybe I should give it a little more tremolo abuse then?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 01:31 PM
Vendor

I did alot of testing initially at the beginning of the year and haven't done any since. After evaluation the first thing I do in a setup is pull the guitar apart and while it's apart I do the stud mod. All I can tell you is I constantly get letters like this one I got this morning -

Rich,

Your fix for the 2003 Edge Pro studs worked fantastic! My guitar stays in tune a million times better!

Thanks alot!
Clint Stewart

I'd say test it on a tuner, playing solo your ears won't normally pickup deviations in tuning as well as if you have other in tune instruments with you. Do a straight pull up test, check tuning, check after some good abuse, etc.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

I better use a $300 rack tuner to pick up a bad return then!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2003, 11:05 AM

Rich i want the Stud Mod doing on my '03 7VWH..

but I live in the UK and I cant be arsed shipping my guitar.

can I do this mod myself??
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2003, 11:47 AM
Vendor

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2003, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Hey thanks Rich and everyone else for the input..

First off, the trem return was perfect! I bought the guitar, and no matter how much trem abuse I can give it, it always returns dead on.

Second, (I am 99% sure) the studs are locked! And yes it does have an Edge Pro bridge too, and considering Guitar Center just opened in Albany I would be dead sure it is a 2003! Are you doing work for Ibanez and not telling us now Rich?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2003, 11:28 PM

Can't be locking studs if it's an 03, they just don't have them.

What's the serial number? That will tell you for sure . . . if it starts with F03, then it's a 2003, if it's F02, well . . . do I really have to explain that?

It could be that you just have one of the "good" ones if it's an Edge Pro . . .

Try this, tune it, every time you tune a string drop the pitch with the bar, let it up gently and tune again, until it's just about perfect.

Now, pull up so the g-string is up to c (perfect fourth) and GENTLY lower the pitch, DO NOT push the bar down after this and check the tuning.

A little sharp?

If not, be happy, if it IS a little sharp, or BADLY sharp, call Rich.

Mic
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

What's the serial number? That will tell you for sure . . . if it starts with F03, then it's a 2003, if it's F02, well . . . do I really have to explain that?

Try this, tune it, every time you tune a string drop the pitch with the bar, let it up gently and tune again, until it's just about perfect.

Now, pull up so the g-string is up to c (perfect fourth) and GENTLY lower the pitch, DO NOT push the bar down after this and check the tuning.

A little sharp?

Mic
I have tried that. Not sharp at all!!! And if you look in the studs you can see the hole for the allen wrench, And it is a F03 too.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red5
Quote:

A little sharp?

Mic
I have tried that. Not sharp at all!!! And if you look in the studs you can see the hole for the allen wrench, And it is a F03 too.
no 03 ibanezs have locking studs except for the korn models *right rich*. None at all, zip zero nadda, It definitely doesnt have an edge pro and locking studs stock, and not be a used guitar, i just dont beleive it and I wont till i see the pictures
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2003, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

No nevermind. But there is something in the studs that looks like an allen wrench slot, and the return is perfect, so I thought maybe on the latest 2003s they started using locking studs again or something (and would you know it? Really?)... it's not as no wrench will fit it, but it damn looks like it!

Tags
allen wrench , basswood bodies , basswood body , basswood guitar , basswood guitars , edge pro bridge , locking stud , locking studs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode