Stupid Question - define 1 piece neck - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Stupid Question - define 1 piece neck

I see on the specs page that the Jem7 has a 1 piece neck.

My Jem7 looks to have 2 pieces of maple. The main neck is one piece, then I can see a curved shape seam (big U shape) that starts around the second fret and make a turn at about the 3/4" below the screws that hold the locking nut).

It's clearly 2 pieces of wood...the grain is different.

Serial Number on the back of the headstock starts with F01.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 03:01 PM

Re: Stupid Question - define 1 piece neck

Headstock does not count, neck itself is one piece... right?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 03:14 PM

Yours is one piece alright. The new Jems and most Prestiges are 5 piece, which to my small hands are thinner.

The man himself uses a one piece neck, so he thinks they are ok.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 03:23 PM

It can be somewhat confusing. In the case of Ibanez, their older "1 piece" necks definitely used a separate piece for the headstock. So, in a sense, it kind of seems like they're really two piece necks. Meanwhile, the newer ones are a 5 piece design with three pieces of maple sandwiching two thin strips of walnut, wenge or bubinga. These do NOT use a separate piece for the headstock, so to me, these are almost more of a "1 piece" design than the old one, even though I know that's not technically correct.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafigator View Post
Headstock does not count, neck itself is one piece... right?
CORRECT!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the clarification.

Makes you wonder why some things can't be simple. 2 pieces of wood for the main structure of the neck should be called a 2 piece neck.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 09:29 AM

No, the neck is one piece

The headstock doesn't count.

5p necks use additional slivers of wood for the headstock as well, without calling them 7 or 8 piece; besides that, we don't count the fretboard, do we? or the trussrod(s) ?

The u-shape glue seam is known as a scarf joint
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funbnme View Post
Thanks for the clarification.

Makes you wonder why some things can't be simple. 2 pieces of wood for the main structure of the neck should be called a 2 piece neck.
Agreed. The common naming convention for neck pieces is just plain stupid. A one piece neck should be one piece for neck, headstock, and fretboard like on an old Telecaster. I don't know what Ibanez would call that....

The standard Ibanez '1 piece neck' is three pieces; neck back, headstock, and fretboard.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltwin View Post
No, the neck is one piece

The headstock doesn't count.

5p necks use additional slivers of wood for the headstock as well, without calling them 7 or 8 piece; besides that, we don't count the fretboard, do we? or the trussrod(s) ?

The u-shape glue seam is known as a scarf joint
What would happen if it was snapped in half?? Would it then be a 10 piece neck or count all the parts to make 16??
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenw5094 View Post
What would happen if it was snapped in half?? Would it then be a 10 piece neck or count all the parts to make 16??
I think that would generally be called "kindling".
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
Agreed. The common naming convention for neck pieces is just plain stupid. A one piece neck should be one piece for neck, headstock, and fretboard like on an old Telecaster. I don't know what Ibanez would call that....

The standard Ibanez '1 piece neck' is three pieces; neck back, headstock, and fretboard.
Even the old Telecaster necks (with the skunk stripe) arent true 1 pc necks either.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlephil View Post
Even the old Telecaster necks (with the skunk stripe) arent true 1 pc necks either.
Because of the skunk stripe? That's there because it needs to be there really, its basically a truss rod cover. I personally don't count that as a piece, any more than I count the spacers in the Ibanez "5 piece" necks as pieces either. But the original Tele necks were 1 piece without the skunk. They just didn't last very long
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
Because of the skunk stripe? That's there because it needs to be there really, its basically a truss rod cover. I personally don't count that as a piece, any more than I count the spacers in the Ibanez "5 piece" necks as pieces either. But the original Tele necks were 1 piece without the skunk. They just didn't last very long
Good point. I'd really hate to be the luthier making a true 1pc neck. The 1 piece Ibanez necks could sort of be considered 1 piece if the headstock was cut from the same neck blank, its just been scarfed to create the headstock angle. I dont know if they are done that way, I've heard that separate pieces are used so that quite small pieces of maple can be used for necks, but the grain on my S540's neck (which is really an RG neck) looks like its from the same piece of maple. It looks almost exactly the same (although flipped over)
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 11:25 PM

Nothing wrong with a scarf joint and it is stronger than the rest of the neck.

Anyone here that gigged original wizards in the 80s outdoors knows how bad those one piece necks could be, you could not keep the guitar in tune during a hot day if you tried.

It all depends on the grain pattern and where on the tree the neck came from imo esp when talking wizard thin.

Your better off with the 5 piece.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode