Suggestions for my JS100 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2001, 05:16 AM Thread Starter

Suggestions for my JS100

I know lately I've been complaining and asking for all kinds of help on my and the whole JS100 line! I appreciate everyone being patient with me since I am still new at learning how to maintain my guitar myself and just trying to understand guitars in general! I don't ever plan on letting my JS100 go cause despite it's problems I think mine sounds sweet!!

Now my questions, Is it possible for me to throw a Lo Pro Edge in? *and are there any other mods you all suggest that will make my JS100 a more reliable and better performing axe? Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2001, 08:36 AM

Suggestions for my JS100

You could throw a lo-pro in it, but it would involve some serious routing and the cost would probably outweigh the benefit

Steve
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2001, 01:29 PM

Suggestions for my JS100

The most obvious choice would be pickups. Put the Dimarzio FRED and PAF Pro in there. Outstanding pickups! Use the existing ones as paperweights
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2001, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Suggestions for my JS100

I "personally" think the best mod you could do would be to sell it on eby for $500 or so like everyone else seems to and then save up for a JS1000 - In the long run you'll end up with a better guitar for not much more than the cost of a JS100 + the mods to bring it up to spec!!!
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2001, 07:42 PM

Suggestions for my JS100

I second Jono's idea...
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2001, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

Suggestions for my JS100

Thanks for the help, but I am firm on keeping my JS100. Just out of curiousity why is the Lo TRS 2 such a bad bridge? Does it go out of tune alot even though the strings are locked down?

Also I was thinking if I buy a JS1000 I'm not going to put the same pickups in the JS100. I was thinking an Evolution in the bridge *so I can kick some ass, but I want something sweet and warm in the neck but can't think of a pickup *that would get the job done! Any ideas? Thanks!
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2001, 08:51 AM

Suggestions for my JS100

First let me apologize for saying in the past that a TRS and Po Pro are swappable. *I was wrong. *I forgot about the routing I had to do to my guitar to fit the bridge in and didnt remember until I scrapped the guitar recently.
If someone wants I can include pictures of my RG-450 cavity that I took some chunks out to fit a Lo Pro into.
Another mod suggestion from me (very minor) would be to sand off the clear stuff on the back of the neck.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2001, 09:09 AM

Suggestions for my JS100

Scott,
Peoples issues with the TRS are personal. I don't like the stiff feel of them. I've owned a couple of guitars with them on it and they do stay in tune pretty well...

A PAF Pro would be a nice warm sounding PU for the neck position...
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2001, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Suggestions for my JS100

I'm *going to leave the Lo TRS 2 on my JS100 cause putting a Lo Pro in sounds like it's more work than its worth.

Scott do you have any other suggestions besides the PAF Pro? I'm not to knowledgeable when it comes to pick ups! Thanks
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2001, 01:40 PM

Suggestions for my JS100

I'm don't have a lot of pickup knowledge either. All I can do is comment on the pickups I've owned. Had one with a Tone Zone in the neck and I wouldn't recomend that. Too hot. Same with an Evo in the neck. Did have a Steve Special in one guitar, that one was pretty good. Had nice tone and would clean up really nice...

I don't know much about Semour Duncans. The JB is a pretty good one. I know others here have way more Duncan knowledge than I do...

Having recomended DiMarzio's, one of the best sounding PU I've ever heard in the neck was a Gibson 490. May get flamed for that but I've always liked Gibson PU's. Just don't like the covers!!!
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2001, 04:48 PM

Suggestions for my JS100

Someone had a thread going a few months ago and they were able to swap a TRS for an Edge with no routing. Other people chimed in, and I think the concenus was that due to the poor QC and loose tolerances on the Korean guitars, sometimes this mod requires routing, sometimes it doesn't. I'm somewhat handy with a router, though I can't quite make a guitar body, I could definatly router or dremel a TRS body to fit an Edge. You'd also need new trem posts. The TRS posts are softer than the Edge posts, and the Edge knife edges will wear down the posts.
What makes the Edge better than the TRS? 1) The Edge is made of stronger metal. 2) The knife edges on the Edge are smaller, sharper, and more precise, therefore causing less friction with the posts, and fewer things to move.
Those are the 2 main advantages I see.

As far as pickups go, if you're looking for something smooth, warm, and on the hot side, try the Breeds. Other good neck pickups are the PAF Pro or the Air Norton. I assume you want to change out your bridge pickup as well? The Breed, Evo, Tone Zone, PAF Pro, Super Distortion, or even the Steve's Special would be good choices.

Another fun mod would be to replace the locking nut with a graphite nut and throw on some locking Schaller or Sperzel tuners.

You can also send it to Darren and let him work his magic.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2001, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Suggestions for my JS100

Scott thanks for all your help I appreciate it! I'm going to check out all the pickups you and Doink suggested. I think I am definitley going with a Evolution in the bridge cause I just loved the way it sounds on the JEM 90HAM! I'll let you both know what I finally go with.

Doink that would be awesome if I could get a Edge bridge on my JS! and thanks for those other suggestions. I just worry if I get the body routed to fit the Edge what would happen to the finish? I'm actually having a problem with my locking nut at the moment, but does Ibanez make a graphite nut?

Thanks!!!
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-14-2001, 12:47 PM

Suggestions for my JS100

Quote:
Quote: from Scott Smith on 9:09 am on Jan. 12, 2001

Peoples issues with the TRS are personal. I don't like the stiff feel of them
Personally I've never had a problem with the TRS save for the fact that they don't seem to "flutter" as do the edge/lo-pro, but as you say, that's most definately due to the stiff feel.

Doink,
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always though the edge/lo-pro were made of a softer metal than the TRS?

Scott74,
I did whack a Breed in the neck of my JS (replacing the Paf Pro) and I loved it.
I found the ah's slightly superior, and the higher output does make for a more commanding sound (although sometimes slightly "boomy", but that can be cured with the eq)
Personally, I prefer the Breed to the Paf Pro, and not just because I have a DBK either

gl

Steve
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-14-2001, 03:26 PM

Suggestions for my JS100

I forgot about the Breed. Very nice neck pickup. Check one of those out too...
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-15-2001, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Suggestions for my JS100

Thanks I appreciate all the *advice!!!

Tags
air norton , bridge pickup , edge bridge , floyd rose , graphite nut , guitar body , korean guitar , locking nut , locking tuners , neck pickup , neck pickups , neck position , paf pro , pro edge , sperzel tuners , super distortion , tone zone , tuning pegs , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode