Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Summer Namm 2K+1 - Getting excited for any Jem/UV News

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  mojo 
#1 ·
Still wondering if we'll ever see a 10th anniversary Universe or a new Jem debuted at the Summer NAMM. I realize it's pretty early to post this thread, but maybe somebody's heard something?

#8 ·
Summer Namm 2K+1

You know....if Ibanez would consider a new UV model, I wouldn't be considering Ernie Ball for my 7-string purchase.....What year did the UV777BK debut? 97'?

Rich-how are sales with the UV777BK? I wonder if Ibanez is dishing out enough higher-end 7-strings to consider a multi-UV line. (93' was the UV hey-day, correct? 3 models or something close to that...)

Can't please em' all...

#9 ·
Summer Namm 2K+1

We often view the Ibanez 7-strings in three markets: high-end (UVs, CTs, CSTs, 2027, etc), mid-range (7620s, etc.) and low-end (7420s, AXs, etc.). We often postulate that the high-end ones go to 'serious' players, the low-end to the 'Nu-crowd' and the mid-range to a mixture of these.

How well do sales reflect this? Perhaps you have some insight Rich? For example, if true, one might expect UV sales to stay steadier than the low-end 7s as the 'Nu-crowd' evaporates and/or moves away from 7s.

Unfortunately, there are a few flies in the soup to consider. For example, the current UV777BK has been around for a while and is very readily available at much more friendly prices on the used market. A UV sales decline could be completely spurious in relationship to that of the low-end 7s, but wrongfully interpreted by Ibanez if they are not careful, as a general market-wide loss of interest in 7s.

Further confusing things is the introduction of a very pricey guitar (K-7) for the 'Nu-crowd'. I feel (with no creds or market research to back me up) that this is an idea bound to fail. Throw in the RG1077XL, while undoubtedly a superb axe, is a bit weird for your average consumer (come on, a Baritone 7?) and Ibanez might feel that there is no longer a market for high-end 7s after failing to move many this season. However, the reality could be that they are missing the market with the current lineup.

A new UV or a more widely available CT-like guitar (basically a 7-string 3120) might be enough to jump-start sales. Then again, perhaps the market truly is falling out (see: 2027), and people like myself who want high-quality Ibanez 7s will be left out in the cold. I hope they at least make more limited-run Prestige and J-Custom 7s in the future.

#10 ·
Summer Namm 2K+1

98', new 7 sales have been dismal, there's still quite a bit of interest though which would lead me to believe Chris hit it and many are opting to buy used instead. But the high end used market is also depressed, things are selling, but for far less than they would have 2 years ago on average.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.