Suppose the unthinkable happened....... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Suppose the unthinkable happened.......

Suppose Vai (gulp) was no longer affiliated with Ibanez. What would happen to the Jem line? I was thinking it might diversify for a couple of years and then things will be done or undone to it to make it cheaper, and then maybe it'll be discontinued. AARRGGHH! I would hope they would try to make attempts at making it another high-end RG alternative and experiment more with it. I was curious about what your thoughts would be on this.

I really that it never actually happens.

Mike 777 Haug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 08:55 PM

Reviews: 30
Evil thoughts man ...you need to talk to a priest or something. I would think that they would discontinue the lesser-selling version possibly and milk the money maker until nothing else can be done. But there may be a clause in the contract or something limiting their production only to when he is part of it. I have no idea about the legalities part though. Just my guess.

David
post #3 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 09:33 PM

my guess is they'd kill the line
post #4 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 09:36 PM

If he went to a new company, they'd discontinue the line (a la JPM), and probably start bringing out more high-end RGs outside of Japan.
post #5 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 10:08 PM

Musicman still makes the axis. Without the jem line ibanez would be in the hole. Joe despagni owns the only copyrighted part of the jem? Is this true? Ive heard some discussion about it. This is probably the only place in the world where I would read a contract this boring. lol
post #6 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 10:18 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
despagni owns nothing. ibanez owns the RG/JEM feature-set and would do what they did after any other endorser, such as JP left. But there would be no guitar sold that is called "JEM" from ibanez.

If ibanez could make up for the LOST REVENUE of losing an endorser like Vai, i think their actual guitar lineup would be improved in the USA. I don't think they'll ever chance it though... and Vai is going nowhere.

This may rub people the wrong way, but if Vai isn't going to play a JEM anymore that customers can buy, i would not regret his leaving ibanez. This would give ibanez more "freedom" for their lineup, reducing their shackles to "endorser models" and likewise perhaps allow Vai to mass-produce the *actual* axes he's playing again... like he did for the first decade w/ ibanez. I don't see the drawbacks, other than no new JEMs as we knew it ...glen
post #7 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 10:32 PM

Im not arguing with you glenn. Good points and well described. But doesnt joe despagni still get a royalty, from the monkey grip and lions claw? Im almost positive he receives some form of payment for these. Its been made clear that ibanez isnt really doing what vai wants anymore. Vai has been using the sustainer so much, and we ALL want one. How about a dbk with a sustainer, and a chrome vine? Sound nummy ). yes it does
post #8 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 10:38 PM
site founder 0% owner

i was under the impression despagni was bought out (lump sum $$$) and gets no royalties. Ibanez would be STUPID to do it any other way. Vai gets the royalties, as it's *his* signature axe. If Vai pays despagni a royalty, i'd bet against it
post #9 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 11:17 PM

So, you're not allowed to customize your JEM? I think there are a few law-breakers here, including myself. Is EVO the guitar for everyone? Hellno. I don't want one. I think the JEM line is a great place to start...then mod it to what you want; what best suits your playing. Now it's illegal (or inappropriate) for SSV to mod his own guitar? WTF?

No one is stopping you from doing exactly the same thing that SSV did- get a VWH and drop in a Sustainer. I'll bet ya it'd be cheaper to do it yourself than to buy a JEM-VWHS(ustainer) if Ibanez ever came out with one. Besides, there's not bigger loather of the 555 than Glen. Would you REALLY want a 555 neck on your uber-priced guitar?

All anyone does is scream about JEM prices going up and up. If Ibanez added a JEM model with a Sustainer, do you really (honestly) think they'd sell it for LESS than what the VWH is going for?
I know logic and facts aren't allowed here, so I apologize for posting such things.

From everything I've heard, Despagni has been paid. He's done his business with SSV and Ibanez and has moved on (with all his cash. LOL).

Steve leave Ibanez? Not gonna happen.
(Why is it that this topic comes up every few months? Odd...)
post #10 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan
Steve leave Ibanez? Not gonna happen.
Yeah... that's like Jordan Rudess endorsing Casio or the Yamaha PSR Series... Can you imagine?!?!?

Oh... wait, wrong forum (LOL)

K
post #11 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 11:45 PM
site founder 0% owner

There is a point where a "signature model" can deviate too far from what the artist really plays. The JEM is at that threshold, if not beyond.

Quote:
So, you're not allowed to customize your JEM? I think there are a few law-breakers here, including myself. Is EVO the guitar for everyone?
huh? evo is a VWH. we're talking about FLO, the other sustainer JEMs and the PIEZO axe he played at the Grammys. Jeez.

Quote:
I know logic and facts aren't allowed here, so I apologize for posting such things.
can someone highlight the "logic". ... glen
post #12 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 11:45 PM

The Ernie Ball strings is just the first step. He'll be with EBMM before you know it.
They'll just discontinue the JEM line. And Korn will be the big names with Ibanez.
I think I have a couple pics of Glen with a 555 neck in his hands, now that you mention it.
post #13 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 11:50 PM
site founder 0% owner

LOL. problem w/ Korn is their axes DONT sell well ... glen
post #14 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Hey pot, this is the kettle...

Someone please find the latest edition of the Geier Book of Logic. LOL
post #15 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 12:09 AM

I'm not seeing the part where I said "EVO has a Sustainer in it" or where I even mentioned the name "FLO". Anyone else see that? I see the part where I say "VWH with a Sustainer in it"....but that's all I see.

At what point does customization become deviation? From the moment the first screw is removed to replace the strap buttons with clip locks? One drop of solder? New pickups? New tuners? New trem? New neck? Christ, JP has a new blue EB/MM-JPM double-neck and no one is yelling that it's not a sig. model or how he's "deviating" from the original/in-store models.

What's the problem with artists trying new things out? Why not try a Sustainer? Why not try a Double Edge system? If you like it, then try to incorporate it into your sig. line.

I play(ed) a JEM because it's a very comfortable guitar, and offered me more options than the "usual" models out there, that haven't seen advancement since the headstock was re-shaped smaller.

Do you want to forge ahead, with the artist at the forefront, or do you want the same old thing we've been getting for years? If the artists don't do it, then who will?
You?
Me?
I didn't think so.

Tags
aanj neck , access neck joint , alder body , bridge pickup , buzz feiten , buzz feiten system , chrome jem , chrome vine , custom shop , dimarzio cliplock , ebony neck , edge trem , ernie ball , evolution pickups , feiten system , fernandes sustainer , fire garden , fixed bridge , floyd rose , fret board , guitar mag , guitar shop , hoshino usa , ibanez backstop , ibanez dealer , ibanez jem , jem pmc , jim donahue , jordan rudess , les paul , les paul standard , monkey grip , neck joint , neck pickup , paf pro , paf pros , paul gilbert , paul gilberts , pickup cavity , piezo system , production model , seymour duncan , signature guitar , steve vai , strap button , strap buttons , vwh jem , whammy pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode