Ibanez JEM Forum banner

sustain

Tags
steve vai
2K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Two hands31 
#1 ·
So I've got a jem7vwh and it sounds great and all. But the sustain doesn't come close to what Vai gets. Is this a guitar-specific thing, or does his sustain come from his insane rig? Or maybe it's from his hands?

#4 ·
Vai uses circular vibrato. It causes the string to vibrate longer than noe vibrato. It is about the most difficault thing to do. He has combind the vibrato style of violin players with the classic vibrato of guitar players to create a very unique and almost impossible technique.

#5 ·
Jimm VeuCasovic said:
Vai uses circular vibrato. It causes the string to vibrate longer than noe vibrato. It is about the most difficault thing to do. He has combind the vibrato style of violin players with the classic vibrato of guitar players to create a very unique and almost impossible technique.
that and
fingers
gain
compression
volume
godlike talent

~K

#9 ·
cwen said:
so...basically i have no chance of getting the sustain he gets
Without saying you have talent or not, there are other things on that list that will get you lots of sustain. Vai plays and records really really loud. and, as Gresh subtly suggested :roll: , uses lots of compression.

Us mere mortals do have a chance of getting long sustain. Keep in mind also that the more string there is to vibrate, the more sustain you'll get, i.e. you'll get better sustain on the 5th fret than you sill on the 17th.

if not, there's always compression.
~Kenny

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.