Is this swap worth it? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 7
Is this swap worth it?

I have a Jem7v and a JS1000 (which is 18 years old). The Jem was made and bought in 2008. The thing is, I prefer the way my JS1000 plays to the Jem and I'm really starting to think that I don't need the Jem. I love the way the Jem looks, but it's just that it's Steve Vai's guitar and not mine... The JS isn't too bad as Satch doesn't use the JS1000 much if at all.

Anyway, my local guitar shop has a Gibson Les Paul Custom (pre-owned, made 2003) in perfect condition listed for £1795. Since the Jem has gone up to £2,200 (I bought it for £1400 lol...) I was thinking maybe I could do a sneaky swap as I could do with a guitar for the cleaner sounds as my shredding/metal stuff is covered by the JS.

http://www.giggear.co.uk/p/Gibson-Le...stom-Wine-Red/

That isn't the same site, but that is the guitar.

I will obviously see if I am a fan of the Gibson and make sure it's in tip-top condition. But overall, would a Jem for Les Paul Custom be a good swap?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 07:56 PM

Re: Is this swap worth it?

It's your call, dude. Just bear in mind that they are very different beasts in terms of playing; scale length, neck, weight, balance, tone (but you're obviously aware of that). Just see what suits you. You can do plenty of cleans on a JEM, it's just what you prefer.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

I just wanted to get other people's first opinions really

I guess I feel like a bit of a twat for buying a new signature guitar really lol. The JS i bought half price (£500) about 5 years ago which is again, pretty good but even though I got a great deal for the Jem, I still feel like I payed way over the odds for a guitar that probably isn't worth all that money. Jem7vs aren't like other Jems - Other Jems are rare and very special. The Jem7v is a bit of a guitaring cliché I guess.

I think I've pretty much summed it up lol... Now for the haggling!

Any tips?
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 08:41 PM

In my opinion the deals not worth it- not for a red wine LP. I probably would for a nice cherry sunburst standard, but the red wines just not for me. Rather have a 7vwh. Just my personal taste, but in the end its all about what you want.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 09:34 PM

I can't say, because I do like a JEM better than a JS, and already have a Les Paul.

But in your case, I'd do it. If you don't miss a middle single coil pickup with a floating bridge, and total classic looks, go for it.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 10:00 PM

A Les Paul Custom is a nice guitar, no doubt. Just play it first to make sure it's what you want. If you're covered for the trem with the JS, them you may as well get something a little different
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 06:36 AM

I'm kind of in the same boat, theyoungguitarist. I've got a '91 FP that I want to get rid of and get a LP Standard. I want one made in the '90's though as the standards made in the '00s have chambered bodies. I'm looking for a honey or lemonburst but would settle with a nice flametop sunburst.

Ask the shop if they could do a 24hr cooling off offer. Some shops will do it.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Dutchie is online  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYoungGuitarist View Post
I just wanted to get other people's first opinions really

I guess I feel like a bit of a twat for buying a new signature guitar really lol. The JS i bought half price (£500) about 5 years ago which is again, pretty good but even though I got a great deal for the Jem, I still feel like I payed way over the odds for a guitar that probably isn't worth all that money. Jem7vs aren't like other Jems - Other Jems are rare and very special. The Jem7v is a bit of a guitaring cliché I guess.

I think I've pretty much summed it up lol... Now for the haggling!

Any tips?
Because the Les Paul isn't a cliché?

I'd say you need to spend a fair bit of time with the LP before you do this. Financially you're about evens, but I think the wine red custom has to be the popular of the finishes for that guitar so you'll have a harder time offloading it again than if you had a white or black one...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Because the Les Paul isn't a cliché?
That is a fair point lol...

I just think that too many people buy a Jem7v because it is Steve Vai's guitar. I think I might have done to be honest. It is beautiful though. But it's not worth however much you pay for it.
If you want to spend that much money on an Ibanez, get a J-Custom or even just another Jem with a rarer finish.

I'll try it this week. I've never played a Gibson before - Should be interesting.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 01:18 PM
Banned

ill be amazed if the guitar shop swaps you a £1700 les paul for your jem.my guess is they would offer you £800 at the most for your 7vwh.you will have to throw in some cash and a fair bit too.guitar shops are greedy also remember they need to sell it on as a profit.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 08:14 PM

It would be a very good swap - in your favor. I am also doubtful the guitar shop would go for it. Just in shear resale value and resellability, swapping a Les Paul for Jem would be a very bad idea.

A Jem7vwh lists for £2,200, but it wouldn't even sell for that much new. That figure you gave for the used LP Custom is about right for the market value, the equivalent of $3,000. IF they wanted to buy it, they'd probably give you a little more than half of that for your Jem.

It never hurts to try. If you don't mind giving up the Jem, you'd come out on top in that deal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode