swirl bodys not clear coated - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
VCR

swirl bodys not clear coated

Been looking around for a swirl body (the bay mainly). Just want to hit the BIN and not wait for a body ordered from whomever.

Anybody know why I am seeing most if not all at the moment that are not clear coated? Makes my hesitate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 03:59 PM

Re: swirl bodys not clear coated

The clear coat process is quite lengthy and fairly exspensive. Best to get one and have an autobody place clear coat it for you. If your not picky, you can attempt it at home, but lots of wet sanding, etc... to get it right.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 04:22 PM

It takes alot of work to get a nice clear finish with swirls, i bought one of the bay of evil as well and ended up not 100% happy with the end result. You have to really PILE the clear on there to be able to sand it anywhere near flat...even after about 6 coats of clear from an autobody place they still sanded through to the primer in one spot. My suggestion would be to ask the seller if he can add a clear coat to a body that has the swirl you find most appealing. Even if it is an extra $200 it would be worth it in my opinion (especially with the swirls on the bay being relatively cheap already)

anyways, thats my 0.02....having just finished one i would have gone that route instead of having the clear done seperately if i had the chance to do it over again
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 04:32 PM

I agree, $200 is likely the average going rate.
I have a friend who does killer auto work, I bought the paint (flake) and he still charged me $200 for shooting the flake and clear coat...tons of layers. Normal person off the street, $400-$500 including $30 worth of flake.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 04:44 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Those bodies on the Bay are Nate's. He'll also clearcoat them for an extra fee--I think it's $150-200 extra. You can also get them directly from his website, where all of his services and products are listed.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
VCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Those bodies on the Bay are Nate's. He'll also clearcoat them for an extra fee--I think it's $150-200 extra. You can also get them directly from his website, where all of his services and products are listed.
Tell me, who is Nate?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 11:11 PM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCR View Post
Tell me, who is Nate?
Nate Perle
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 11:53 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Here you go:
http://www.perleguitars.com/

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 09:24 AM

Reviews: 3

I charge $175.00 for a Clear Coat on a Swirl. I've done them for Herc, and a lot of Nate's.
It's time consuming and very easy to go through to the wood if you don't have a lot of experience.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
VCR

Thanks guys.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 10:57 AM

Reviews: 2

I will probably have a swirled and cleared body for sale in the next few weeks but to be honest I usually only do U.K. postage but I may make an exception and offer worldwide shipping on my next one. Im not sure what colour swirl it will be either, possibly a GMC or maybe a PAW like this one that I started to clear today
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
VCR

Looking for a black and white swirl. This combo seems to be a minority with brighter colors being the common. If I was to place an order it would be B&W, no monkey grip, w/lion claw, two hums, no middle single, normal 5 way and pots, AANJ and Edge of coarse.

That's a nice body there jonnyboy mills!

I read a couple horror stories of bodies taking FOREVER to get after order is placed. Not from members here mind you! Or at least the ones I know of. There is a site that got some bad reviews on delivery times. I'm talking over half a year and waiting stories. Too bad, the site I saw has some relly nice examples (no I'm not mentioning site as I have not dealt first hand with them). I understand that if it's a small op, maybe one guy running the whole bis that you will get backed up. I'm realistic, not in any hurry. If I had to wait over 6 months I would not be a satisfied customer.

I will keep my eyes peeled as you guys seem to be straight shooters. I'm sure I can find the body I want here.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 01:53 PM

Reviews: 2

B&W I did this one for Jaden Rose. I didnt see the atraction with B&W until It emerged from beneath the water looking like this, and then I was like ......WOW!
When I sent him the neck and body back I harassed him with loads of emails asking to see the guitar built back up. here it is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode