swirl tutorial ? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 335 (permalink) Old 01-04-2003, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

swirl tutorial ?

I was looking at the guitar gallery and all those swirl paints ...
is there a tutorial to do a swirl paint somewhere on the web ? I searched the forum, projectguitar.com and all but i can't find one... (right now I can't figure at all how they do it)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 335 (permalink) Old 01-04-2003, 09:38 PM
EKG

I've done a search on Google and there really isn't much...also try doing a search here on the JEMSITE. I'm sure there are other threads discussing it ;-)
post #3 of 335 (permalink) Old 01-04-2003, 09:46 PM

ive never done it, and am most likely skipping out on some things, but after stripping the body of hardware, and old paint, you fill a tub with water, and on the surface, put the paints you want to use ,and spin the body around(but im not sure if water is what the bottom liquid is.)
post #4 of 335 (permalink) Old 01-04-2003, 11:13 PM

Don't forget sealing the body.
post #5 of 335 (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 12:57 AM
HDS

I'm getting set to do a swirl on my JS. The trick is the paint .
Strip down guitar of paint, I keep the factory sealint as much I can. Get a tub at Wal-Fart or what ever. You will need enamel paint, it has oil and wont sink. If you didnt keep factory sealant seal the guitar with a wood sealler. Paint a base coat of white, this helps bring out the color of your swirl and also severs as your over all base. Fill your tub with water and add your paint, try to pour your colors with out first mixing them ( Dont put them ontop of each other). Then get a stick or the like and start weaving your swirl. Depending on how big your tub is you may have to thin the paint to keep it from being thick. Also, if you dont want to dubble coat the swirl paint submerg the guitar body before poring paint, so you will be pulling it out and not dipping and then pulling.

Right now I have my JS body set to primer and then swirl time. I will post updates after I am done.

HDS
post #6 of 335 (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

thanks HDS (and wheresthebeef of course), you've joined right on time
if you have a digital camera, could you do pictures of your JS getting swirl step by step (ouuuuuuh baaaaaaby.... (ok that was the lamest thing i've ever written on the net)) please ?
post #7 of 335 (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDS
The trick is the paint .
HDS
Now that's shocker!

I think this is on the FAQ? The swirling process is a trade secret. The consensus is you will spend a lot of money and ruin a lot of finishes before you can get a half decent swirl.

Spend 4xx with ATD, and get it done great, the first try.
post #8 of 335 (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 11:34 AM

Here's something from a jemster, tubaraodesigns.

http://www.myswirls.hpg.ig.com.br/index.htm

He also does swirls, but his services are only limited to Brazil and Latin America only.

http://www.tubaraodesigns.hpg.ig.com.br/
post #9 of 335 (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 12:47 PM
HDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by caprile
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDS
The trick is the paint .
HDS
Now that's shocker!

I think this is on the FAQ? The swirling process is a trade secret. The consensus is you will spend a lot of money and ruin a lot of finishes before you can get a half decent swirl.

I didn't read the FAQ, I never do.
I offered the info as a point of offering; I am doing it because I have 2 guitars and want to try something new called a hobby. Also, this isnít a trade secret, as stated before on this board. Artfoke have been doing it for many years and your mother may also know this trick because craft people do it to ornaments postcards etc... Heak I remember back in 1983 when I use to swirl eggs for Easter.

I did a test swirl on a small scale with model paint (enamel) in a mason jar, and dipped a small car. Guess what? It worked.

If you have the money (always the key to having someone elseís do it) go to the pros. If youíre feeling crafty do it yourself.
post #10 of 335 (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDS
I did a test swirl on a small scale with model paint (enamel) in a mason jar, and dipped a small car. Guess what? It worked.

do you think you can post pictures of the model car? I think a lot of us would be interested in checking it out.
post #11 of 335 (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

I started that thread just because I was interested in HOW it was technically done...
I don't think I'll ever swirl one of my guitar myself (or even get it done by someone else...)
post #12 of 335 (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 01:24 PM

I've always known how to swirl, since I was really young, saw it done on TV on a piece of posterboard. All my art student friends know how too. But, it really is an artform, and very difficult to do it right to get a really nice result. Look at some of Darren (ATD)'s recent stuff, he's got it perfected. I haven't bothered trying yet, cuz I don't have the money to possibly waste a lot of paint, and a guitar body that I'll need to get refinished if I screw it up. Or the time for that matter. Why do it yourself when you can have ATD or someone do it for you? Same reason you prefer to write your own songs rather than have a professional writer write them for you. It's the thrill of creating something that is your own in every way. Will an ATD swirl look better? Probably if it's your first time trying it on your own. But, you'll appreciate a home made swirl a bit more I think.
post #13 of 335 (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 01:26 PM
deleted username

Quote:
I think this is on the FAQ?
Indeed it is.
There are at least a dozen threads on this subject. Make that a Baker's Dozen.
Quote:
The swirling process is a trade secret. The consensus is you will spend a lot of money and ruin a lot of finishes before you can get a half decent swirl.

Wise advice.
Darren's been doing it longer than many Forum members have been alive. There's a reason people go to him: he's the best. Not too many people have the balls to say, "I want to swirl that submarine on E-bay!", but he did....and he could have done it too. :-)

Save yourself the headaches, massive mess, excessive cash spent on materials, hassles from roomies/sig. other about the 'experiment' in the kitchen.
www.abouttimedesigns.com
Get in touch with Darren. His kitchen is already jacked. :-)
post #14 of 335 (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two hands31
But, you'll appreciate a home made swirl a bit more I think.
it's a lot more satisfaction seeing your own work even if it's not perfect. sure beats paying someone to do it and then showing off someone else's work. showing off one's own work is so much more fun than showing off one's deep pockets.
post #15 of 335 (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 01:42 PM
EKG

I've been considering trying to do a swirl myself. Of course, I doubt it will come close to Herc's or Darren's. They have years under their belts doing this. But, I think it would be fun. Maybe, I can do a smale scale version of different color combos, then when I find the ideal combo, have it done professionally

Tags
angled jack , atd swirl , body shape , clear coat , custom swirl , electric guitar , guitar body , herc swirl , leo fender , monkey grip , neck joint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode