SWIRLING A GUITAR - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
SWIRLING A GUITAR

I have had some good results from using acrylic car paints and a bucket of water but have read in many forums that I can use Humbrol enamel paint (modeling paints). Is this true?
I have tried enamel paint and all it seems to do is clump together. Will Borax help this situation or should I stay with the car paints.
Also does temperature affect the swirl process as I have noticed that water straight from the tap seems to stop the paint from swirling.
Please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 07:22 AM

Re: SWIRLING A GUITAR

Succesfull swirlers don't give their secrets away (it's their business, just like the coca cola ingredients). The only way to find out which paint to use or which paint works the best, is trial and error.

Good luck.

Sam.
post #3 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 10:53 AM

... and, if you've had success with auto paints, I would stick with those and perfect them.

But, yes, I understand that Borax will prevent the clumping.
post #4 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 10:57 AM

My suggestion would be to prepare some sanded, white-painted boards and experiment with a bunch of different methods until you get the result you want. I would suggest speaking to a paint distributor or a hot rod shop. I don't know anything about swirling, but my feeling would be that some type of automotive paint would work best. The reason I say that is that many automotive paints self-level very well and therefore could give you a better end result. I'd probably avoid most hobby paints because the build would be very high and they probably wouldn't level very well. These paints are intended to be used with a brush, which is why you're having a problem. Some type of thinner would be your best bet if you wanted to keep using those.
post #5 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

All of your help is appreciated. Thank you.
post #6 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 01:56 PM

Check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XUEbXAm-hY

Scott
post #7 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 02:02 PM

Reviews: 2

Everyone asks that youtube guy "do you use this?" "do you use that?", and he never posts a single reply.
Im doing a bit of research on swirling, i got some info off project guitar (google it). The paints seem pretty easy to obtain, It helps if you have some knowledge about painting, I used to work in a car body shop many years ago, but i have allways keept my hand in so to speak.
with regards to people not wanting to tell you how its done, i just think thats a very foolish attitude to have.
some one could give me the music to Rachmaninov's 3rd piano cocerto, all the notes there in black and white, but it does not mean i would be able to play it!
post #8 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 03:06 PM

Anyone know where i can buy borax from?
post #9 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 03:12 PM

for my swirls i just use SAYERLACK auto paints, a brazilian brand.
Someone able to come to Brazil-São Paulo to buy those paints? Don't think so.
"Takin' a Ride" gave you everything you should and would know about swirling.

AND that swiling video isn't a good example of how to swirl IMVHO.
He swirled a green body to some shades of gray and everybody knows you need to start from white base coat to get bright colors.
Anyway, the result on that GMC was cool, 9 out of 10.

My $0,02
post #10 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangingmonkey View Post
Anyone know where i can buy borax from?
what is the clear liquid in the bucket he was pouring the paint into?
post #11 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 07:42 PM

Reviews: 7

It is a rare substance and completely unnecessary for human life, I think it's called "water".

Lol
post #12 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 08:06 PM

Reviews: 4

Use automotive paint, and water. There is no real need for borax, but if you insist you can get it at Walmart or the grocery store. Use a white basecoat or primer.
post #13 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbaline View Post
It is a rare substance and completely unnecessary for human life, I think it's called "water".

Lol
I pissed my pants laughing when i saw that.
post #14 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 10:59 PM

Reviews: 2

Google Marbling. Seriously.

Try drawing inks. Stuff like Speedball and whatnot.

If it doesn't float right out of the jar add a single drop of Kodak Photo-flo 200(per 5ml of ink) to the ink. Mix the hell out of it and put another drop of the (now mixed) ink on your size. If it still doesn't float then that colour won't float. Make a note and move on.

You will have to alum the surface of anything you want to marble with this method other than absorbent papers.
post #15 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 05:28 PM

Reviews: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccomputersa View Post
Use automotive paint, and water. There is no real need for borax, but if you insist you can get it at Walmart or the grocery store. Use a white basecoat or primer.

I swirl as well. I don't know where the Borax came into being one of the ingredients for swirling, but I never found it to help. I've used it, if not used it, I can't tell a difference. It does give the water a slicker feel, but the paint is suspended on top of the water because it's lighter than water (because it's an oil based paint). The paint never mixes with it.

If you want to try it out on the cheap, try hobby paint. I've used Testor brand which is what you commonly find in the model car and planes section of the hobby store. I've used automotive paint too. The automotive paint gives you the biggest range of colors though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode