Swirling a UV777PBK...but leaving the good bits - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Swirling a UV777PBK...but leaving the good bits

Just curious to the swirlers out there...

I really like the binding and the abalone eye on the body...would there be anyway to swirl the body while keeping those parts intact?

~K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2003, 08:09 AM

hmm

I could be wrong, but i figure if you stripped the clear off a UV777P the abalone eye would come out easy (since its more likely just miricalone...)
but im not so sure about the binding, the other option would be to take the pyramid body inlay out, with the clear still on it, and then inlay it back after the body had been swirled and painted... as long as u got it level and had some glossy filler...it could work...

I guess im just thinking outloud here, i dont really know, since ive never taken mine apart and stripped the finish...

Also, its not much work to put new binding on UV body. U just need lots of clamps... although getting hold of that pearlescant abalone material in malliable strips, could be difficult...

I might take a closer look later, see if neone at work could give any pointers.

Id say... have a new UV body made, swirl it, bind it, stick the pearl pyramid in there, then clear it over...

You could proably sell the old UV body neways...people buy these things around here (jemsite) lol

Rob
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2003, 08:47 AM

Re: Swirling a UV777PBK...but leaving the good bits

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydoe
Just curious to the swirlers out there...

I really like the binding and the abalone eye on the body...would there be anyway to swirl the body while keeping those parts intact?

~K
I would imagine having seen some of jeremy and eds inlay work that they would quite easily be capable of doing the inlay. But leaving the original intact would be damned near impossible to make it look right. What color were you thinking about doing the swirl? Ive always thought a black and white swirl would look great on a uv maybe with a little touch of blue added. (or as a nod to glenn and abalone UV)!!!!
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2003, 08:53 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
the swirl would pretty much clash with the binding... the clean lines it gives the UV777BK would be lost. you could probably mask the inlay and swirl/clear over it, as the swirl coat is verrrrry thin. I think the inlay will be washed out by the busy-ness of the swirl though... glen
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2003, 01:30 PM

Hmmm...

Perhaps a swirl top? Keep the black below the binding on the sides, and back. Someone with Photochop skills could do a preview. Also, adding a bit of black around the inlay on the body would help it stand out.

Just a thought.

G

Here is a bad photochop thingy:

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2003, 01:57 PM

Hello Kenny
the other choices are to well lets get technical here lol ! tape it all off very cleanly and swirl it then peal the tape and clear it . Or we could also go with the front only swirl also that would look quite classy that also would be a tape thing . but both are easily possible for you .
Darren (good Idea ) I did a front of a lespaul a long time ago and it had binding and A black back on it it looked real sweet and very classy I have just spent about 15 minute looking for the pic and im thinking it is gone. damn !
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2003, 03:02 PM

Instead of masking, you could probably also scrape the binding after it's been swirled. If done carefully, it might give a better result than masking.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2003, 12:54 PM

scratching binding no good . peeling tape good . clean swirl edge good . scraping swirl edge by mistake not good. happy customer very good .
bummed customer no good .
another killer job someone is totally freaking about good.
customer and atd happy very good
lol !
But ! Not a bad thought Darren it just leaves chances for error and you may end up having to sand the binding down to remove any scratches and to sand that down with out hitting the edge of the swirl would be interesting. Im sure possible but very tedious im sure . With the tape you could get a real clean edge and not have to chance damaging the binding or the swirl and clearing should go alittle easier also . Now you got me thinking about my Lespaul Damn !!!!!
Darren
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2003, 01:11 PM
EKG

Quote:
Originally Posted by abouttimedesigns
Now you got me thinking about my Lespaul Damn !!!!!
Would you do it already? I'm dying to see it!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2003, 06:09 PM

I now have seven Strats , 2 RG's ,another Ibanez an original custon jem model,a Jackson kelly,and a old Krammer thats on its way and oh yeah a Les Paul to get to for my self not to mention every one elses gutars that keep coming in (they are always first in line ). It's like the mechanic with the car that doesnt run right . lets just say I will get to it ,I know I will !
lol
Darren
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 02:06 AM

kinda like how the 911 neck won't be done before the body is LOL!!!!!!< you'll probably have your damn neck before mine is done LOL!!!!

Tags
jackson kelly , les paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode