Taking my JS1000 for a set-up - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Taking my JS1000 for a set-up

Hey guys, well i've been away with work for a long time and my JS1000 needs a set up. I left it with a friend who broke a string, he then tried to replace it but had no idea how a floating bridge works. So the guitar has been stringless for about 6months and the bridge has sunk into the body. If i take it in for a basic set up will it all be easily fixed or am i looking at long term damage?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 12:55 PM

Reviews: 59
Re: Taking my JS1000 for a set-up

Well, I assume you mean the springs in the back of the guitar have pulled the bridge down into the body...so there shouldn't be any damage although the springs might need to stretch back into play a little. They tend to develop a memory of what tension they have after a while.
Other than that, unless there's something else wrong with your guitar, it shouldn't be a problem and a basic set up should do the trick. You might have some neck or fret issues depending on the care you've given, but without seeing the guitar, we've no way to know.
My advise would be to get the set-up done and see if it's possible for you to be present during the process so that you can learn how things work, what adjustments to make, and how to do your own set-ups. This'll save you cash down the road.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywylde View Post
If i take it in for a basic set up will it all be easily fixed or am i looking at long term damage?

Thanks!
6 months? Probably not.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 05:51 PM

i knew a techie who would always get pissed when a floating bridge would come into his workshop and the bridge had sunk. It wont damage the guitar but after a while the springs will act strangely and if you leave it too long without adjusting those springs then it would become a nightmare later.

Your bridge will never sit flush across the body and using the whammy makes tuning a constant chore.

If that happens just get new springs and hopefully it should all be fine
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 09:50 PM

Reviews: 6

You might need minor work on the frets since the neck probably back-bowed and fret slots opened up slightly, frets are pressed into a slot no glue or else on these models... but nothing to worry unless the instrument had neck issues to start with.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 09:53 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luthier View Post
You might need minor work on the frets since the neck probably back-bowed and fret slots opened up slightly, frets are pressed into a slot no glue or else on these models... but nothing to worry unless the instrument had neck issues to start with.
If you're going to use that ID then you should be well aware that Ibanez spec calls for all frets to be glued.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 04:36 PM

Reviews: 6

Thanks Rich for the correction

But still, an instrument without string tension for an extended period of time such as 6 months, glued frets or not, if the tension of the truss rod is adjusted as if string tension was still on, should be checked by a pro... but hey it's just my opinion!

Last edited by Luthier; 05-21-2010 at 04:54 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 05:42 PM

Reviews: 37

my rg770dx sat in a unloving guitar owner's closet with no strings for 5 years.
it was to say the least unloved, but i put some strings on it and freshened it up and i swear its my best playing guitar ever.
it has no skunk stripe and is the thinnest ibanez neck ever.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 07:00 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luthier View Post
Thanks Rich for the correction

But still, an instrument without string tension for an extended period of time such as 6 months, glued frets or not, if the tension of the truss rod is adjusted as if string tension was still on, should be checked by a pro... but hey it's just my opinion!
IMO it's much better to sit in backbow than in relief. I'd put strings on it and dial it in, and seriously doubt there's any issue with it [that wasn't an issue when the strings came off]
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 06:04 PM

Just have Rich fix it

Every guitar I ever got from him and had him setup, played like butter right out of the case - even after multiple string changes and seasons in New England.

Well worth the shipping and setup fee - IMHO

Steve C - RI
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 04:09 AM

Dont worry... The JS neck is quite a thick bat so it should be fine..
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 10:46 AM

Not to start into anything with "Luthier" but if it was backbowed THAT severely that frets were coming unglued, then yes, I'd suspect damage. It would have to be quite a backbow. lol

I do neck resets on vintage Martins all day long in my shop. Rarely have I encountered anything bowed that much. Usually when fret ends pop up it's a case of more than just the backbow. Humidity, poor storage, temp changes...all that stuff.

Your guitar should be fine man. In fact now may be the time to consult Rich's setup page and have a go at it yourself for some learning. Save yourself some bucks man and see if you can learn to set up your own guitar. If it gets really outta hand, then maybe see a tech for it. But learning about the mechanics of your guitar will save you money and help you take better care of it man...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode