Talk Me Out Of Selling My 7VWH - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Talk Me Out Of Selling My 7VWH

I got into Vai late, but then I had to have one of those guitars.
I bought one off of the 'bay years ago without ever having played one.
I'm 52, and grew up and prefer round, "baseball bat" necks.
I can play it, and after a while don't really notice the neck.
But, the old girl sits in her case most times.
I do take it out to admire it, it is stone beautiful, I just wish her neck was bigger/rounder.
I get attached to my guitars, and even though I don't play her much, it's a little hard letting go.
I did a photo shoot this morning, but can't seem to get myself to list it anywhere.
She is spotless, not one ding or scratch, seriously, and that ebony board with the Vine Of Life inlay, oh my....

I mainly play vintage BCR's, primarily an '84 Stealth. BCR introduced my to flat fingerboards and big frets, something the 7VWH shares, but the BCR's have bigger, rounder necks.

The only things I don't care for on the JEM are the neck profile, and the pickup wiring, I don't understand the middle pickup, why would you put a set of pickups in a guitar with such a wide difference in volume? But that doesn't really matter I guess, because my playing out days are prolly all behind me..

Any advice, besides therapy...?

Arnie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 12:04 PM

Re: Talk Me Out Of Selling My 7VWH

Hi Arnie, sell it and get something you do want. There's no point having it in the case, it's not going to become a collectors item. Life's too short
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg5150 View Post
...There's no point having it in the case, it's not going to become a collectors item. Life's too short
That does make a lot of sense...darn it.
Oh well, I've got some nice pix to remember her by.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 03:16 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie Guitar View Post
I'm 52, and grew up and prefer round, "baseball bat" necks.
I can play it, and after a while don't really notice the neck.
The neck profiles on my guitars run the gamut from the uber-thin Ibanezes to shallow C, full C, thin D, rounded V and a U. I don't prefer any of them per say. I can play pretty much the same on all of them and they're all comfortable. Do you find the Jem uncomfortable to play? I don't get that impression from your post.

Last edited by toneboy; 06-01-2009 at 03:32 PM.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 04:46 PM
Banned

hey mate if you like baseball bat style necks you might want to try a musicman axis,belting guitars i love them.theres a kid on youtube called kentcarlevi he plays 1 listen to the tone of it man its mind altering.if you dont play your 7vwh just sell it buy something you like playing,its never going to be a collectors item,that said it is a ebony board 7vwh so you should get a few bob for it.good luck
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 05:15 PM

Well if you sell it and miss it, then when you go to buy another one they will be $3500 so make sure you don't want it anymore!
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 07:31 PM

Sell it if you don't play it, or see a reason to keep it. A guitar is a tool that should inspire you, and if the Jem is not working for you, get something that does.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 07:36 PM

Sell her. Nothing wrong with that if she just isn't doing it for you. As others have said, grab something that will inspire you.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 08:47 PM

Sell it, and buy a nice old 59' burst LP, then drop Floyd Rose into it, and then, cut a monkey grip in it!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the input guys.

I've been thinking about it some more, and I'm going to wait, I'm just not ready to let her go just yet. I thought back to all the times I've played along (to the best of my ability, I don't have 1/10th of SV's talent) to...songs like "Little Alligator", "Crying Machine" and one of my faves, "Hand On Heart" while playing this guitar, and I've got to say there is something magical that happens, knowing your playing a guitar SV plays.

Again, while I don't love the neck profile, I forget about it after a while...

You know, a big reason why I don't play it much is the gold plating. For years, a Les Paul Custom was my number one stage guitar, and even though I wiped it off, sometimes between sets, that darn gold plating just doesn't stand up. It's all faded. This guitar has the plating starting to fade a little on the bridge saddles where your palm rests, and every time I play this guitar, I'm thinking I'm making it worse...I wipe it off constantly when I play it.

Thanks again, even though some of you think I should sell it, I'm going to hold on to it for a little while, I just can't sell her yet...I guess now I've got to start working on "Building The Church".
'Love that tune.

Last edited by Arnie Guitar; 06-02-2009 at 01:08 AM.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 12:49 AM

Reviews: 7

How about instead of selling it, you give it to me for FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ("eeee" starts to slowly wain)!!!!!!!!

Lol, I wish anyways.

Honestly though, you should keep it. (Unless you really want to get rid of it you can give it to me for free
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 01:08 AM

Reviews: 7

its a great guitar, give it a chance man, i'm sure as soon as you get useto it ,you will not go back, in cace you won't like it sell it, let's someone alse play it.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 06:28 AM

Reviews: 13

You disgust me. Would you get rid of your wife so quickly if she was getting a little thin around the ankles? No you wouldn't would you. Larger yes, thinner no. If your wife had a nice long smooth ebony neck would you get rid of her NO (well it may depend on the length of that neck). It just seems logical to me that you should move with the times, drink beer and put on some weight (especially in your fingers, don't let them do anything for two whole weeks and watch the weight pile on!).

Actually...........if she is like my other half.......E8AY away

Oh gosh, I hope my wife never sees this. In all seriousness it may be time to move her on...

-Wolfram
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 06:42 AM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez777vbk View Post
hey mate if you like baseball bat style necks you might want to try a musicman axis,belting guitars i love them.theres a kid on youtube called kentcarlevi he plays 1 listen to the tone of it man its mind altering.if you dont play your 7vwh just sell it buy something you like playing,its never going to be a collectors item,that said it is a ebony board 7vwh so you should get a few bob for it.good luck
I think it was you who mentioned kentcarlevi on the tone thread(?) and now I'm hooked on that tone, the guitar looks awesome at the angle of the camera aswell!!!
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nato101010 View Post
Sell it, and buy a nice old 59' burst LP, then drop Floyd Rose into it, and then, cut a monkey grip in it!
Wow

I would love, but at the same time hate, to see that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode