Tapping with JS1000 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Tapping with JS1000

Anyone find it kinda difficult to tap in the higher regions of the JS1000? Maybe its just my skill(read: lack thereof) at tapping, but for some reason I can tap better on my FAT strat than on the JS1000. By difficult to tap I mean getting the notes to sound. For example, like eruption type stuff(TAP 12, pull off to 5, hammer onto I can get the 5 and 8 notes to sound just find, but the 12, 13,15, or whatever i can hardly hear at all. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 12:18 AM

Get some stronger fingers. That's all I can say...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Right on

that's what i figured...seems like they sound better when i use a pick to tap, so i guess the strong finger argument is a valid one. Mainly I waited to know if anyone had any trouble when they first got the JS1000 adjusting to it in ways similiar. ya know, thing you can do on one guitar don't always seem to work the same way on another.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 03:10 AM

Some guitars you need to have a little pull in your right hand when your tapping as well. You can get away with silly things on a strat sometimes cause of the weird tension. I often use a little reverb just to put accents on things when Im doing leads. You may want to check your intonation as well
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 07:55 PM

is the action even, between the two guitars? if it's a lot higher on the JS than the strat, that'd explain your problem nicely, and would be nothing a better setup couldn't fix.

As for me, it's aproximately equal between the strat, 7620, and 2027- i mean, the two 7's seem a little harder because, given the two extra frets, the last frettable position is a little smaller than it is on the strat, but that's probably just illusion- from #22 down, they're probably about the same.

Anyone else have trouble tapping on the 24th fret cleanly? if i don't hit it perfectly, i get a dead note, and it's so narrow, unless i'me paying careful attention, it's easy to screw up. Not as bad as the (shorter scale)0 24-fret prs i screwed around on once (man, the last few frets were nearly unusable), but still...

-Drew

PS- for the record, i do have fairly big hands, so maybe i'm jsut being over anal...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 10:26 PM

well for one thing those frets are at the neck joint, a little bit of a difference in sustain, If im tapping in the second octave I try to use my pic or the edge of my fingernail to make things a little sharper and cleaner. What gauge strings do you use drew???
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 03:36 PM

thanks for saying that. I'm a tapping fan and I was thinking of buying a js1000. Well I think I'll not get it.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 05:27 PM

Honesty, joe has no trouble doing eight finger tapping on a js, I dont think most players will either . Technique is often to blame not the gear . Gear doesnt make anyone a better player but it can make you more comfortable with your creativity
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 10:19 PM

I 2nd that sniper. Every guitar can play nice. If you can't tap....get some stronger fingers or set up the guitar a little better. Cause I've never had problems tapping on guitars....even with high gauge strings and action. Just devlop some muscles....and practice...that's all you can do
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 01:17 AM

yeah, just keep practising and practising and practising. It's frustrating sometimes not being able to play a lick properly even a lot of practising, but just keep doing it and you'll eventually get it. oh yeah, and it's almost never the gear that's the problem.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 05:40 AM

I dont have a problem tapping... Guess just gotta get used to it huh..
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 09:22 AM

erm...i have a feeling that it's either your guitar is set-up poorly...with the string height REALLY high....or it's your amp set-up poorly with poor gain....
IMHO a JS-1000 has incredible playability and whenever i teach my students.....even newbies can make the guitar sound......don't worry bout your technique....if you have to actually tap HARD to make your guitar sound.....it must have really weak pickups...
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 01:41 AM

9-42, plus a 56 b.

Yeah, th epick thing isn't a bad idea... and anyway, i'm just being anal, up through about 22 or so i have no problems, and even hit 23 and 24 pretty consistantly.

One thing that you might wanna try, matt, is to practice tapping onto a muted string in the upper register, and sustaining/vibratoing the note...like this:

e|-----t22~~~---|

this really helps you even out your tapping, and focus on getting a clean tap.

-Drew

Tags
fat strat , gauge strings , neck joint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode