Tell me a little more about JEM's - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Tell me a little more about JEM's

I have been playing 20 years - mostly blues/hard rock. I mainly play a strat but I was looking for a change from the standard Les Paul / Strat guitars. Which is a good JEM model for me to check out? Is there a $1500 model or are they all over $2K. Also - which non-Jem ibanez model compares most favorably to the JEM?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 11:34 AM

Reviews: 6
Re: Tell me a little more about JEM's

none compare favorably, unless of course you have a skillful luthier design you one, but since there are many customs out there, it's hard to conjure up a definite status quo as they range from awful to godlike. So it's really all up to you. There are some jems that are just cosmetically bared down. The jem 7dbk, one of my favorites, can be found for a little over 1000$ in great condition, and ranging lower prices as the condition of the instrument also descends. They have the flatest neck of the Jems and feature dimarzio breeds instead of the evo's . That would be the first one i'd recommend. But since you're into blues and hard rock, you'd benefit more from those produced before 93 or 94, which featured the paf pro. Technically you can change pick ups, but for most of us jem owners, we like to keep them stock with the exception of certain things, buzz feiten tuning, tremol-no, etc.

there is a large range of new and used jems out there, the one that will suit you most will come down to what pick ups you want, neck heel, neck size and finally appearance. If you want cheap, look into the Jem 7dbk, or maybe the 7vwh. The white is usually more expensive, but since there are a large number of them, some sellers may see it fit to lower the price to advantage a quick sale. Just be at the right place and at the right time, and you may have yourself a new baby

good luck!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 11:55 AM

If it doesn't have to be a jem, you might want to check out a JS. The neck is closer to a strat.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 11:58 AM

I have yet to see a 7vwh go cheap unless its a chibanez knock off.
Trying to tell someone which Jem to check out is like trying to tell someone which car to drive, or what movie to see.................
Everyone has their own nitch. Ive played some older RG's that would rival some newer Jems. Just go to a local Ibanez dealer & start fondeling em all.
Personaly, I think since youre use to Les Paul & Strat necks...........Ibanez necks will definatley be different for you. But in a good way. Only way I can think of saying it is, your hand will be in a more relaxed state for "easier" soloing & chording.............
Of course..................this only "my" opinion
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 12:23 PM

Reviews: 6

I've seen some REAL ones go for 1200 - 1500 CAD. Considering they are worth an easy 3000$ CAD new here, i think we can call that relatively cheap. When you're buying a jem, you're buying into some exclusive, and there's a price that goes with it. I am happy with my 550 just as much as my jems, but i was willing to the pay the price for my 777, and i don't regret it. But price apart, the 550 is a close clone to the jem, and a relatively cheaper alternative.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 12:36 PM
JKD

Personally I think a JEM is all about the look....they're really not that much different to an RG550.

I own an original RG550 plus owned another original RG550 and have owned two newer AANJ RG550s...one of which I put the Breeds in to ... it sounded and played almost exactly the same as the JEM77VBK I just bought...the difference between the two used.... $1000 and a UV1000C case.

I've owned two JEM77FP and two UV777BK...plus 4 different RG550s.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 12:38 PM

Reviews: 1

You can score a DBK - the least expensive Jem- under 1200.
Also, for comparitively little money I would also look at an early 90's RG550.
GREAT guitars for peanuts- they are actually a stripped-down Jem model.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Any suggestions where on the web I can find a JEM or a 550 used in the US?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 02:25 PM

e b a y
Ibanez Rules (Rich Harris)
Cottam Guitars
just to name a few..................not to mention, Im sure theres always a handfull of members here willing to wheel & deal
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 02:28 PM

If you absolutely have to have a guitar with a handle in it, Jem is the best you can do.

Be careful if you go the e bay route.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 04:17 PM

Check the jemsite classifieds
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 05:00 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Tell me a little more about JEM's

I usually don't buy on e-b-a-y unless I am with 150 miles of driving to pick it up. I have to inspect a guitar I'm buying in person...
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
If you absolutely have to have a guitar with a handle in it, Jem is the best you can do.

Speaking of handles..................how many have actually used em? And in what context?
I mean..........Ive used mine to carry it, Ive used it a "few" times with just single handed runs.....................
Just curious
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 07:41 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Tell me a little more about JEM's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranz 777 View Post
Speaking of handles..................how many have actually used em? And in what context?
I mean..........Ive used mine to carry it, Ive used it a "few" times with just single handed runs.....................
Just curious
I've gotten my weiner stuck in there a few times...It's like a glory hole for Metal Heads and their Chicks!!
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 07:45 PM

It is there for folks that like to get their hands around a big chunk of wood.

Tags
buzz feiten , cottam guitars , dimarzio breed , dimarzio breeds , dimarzio ibz , ibanez dealer , ibanez neck , ibanez necks , les paul , paf pro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode