A terrible, terrible story of a lost Jem... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

A terrible, terrible story of a lost Jem...

I have a really awesome guitar teacher, he is really talented and has great gear. He also used to own a Jem FP. And after I told him about my favourite guitar of all time(Jem 777 LNG) and showed him a picture of it, he said: "Ah that green Jem, a friend of mine had one. After a flight in a plane though he decided to be a pilot and gave it to a co-worker, who doesnt even play the guitar and just has it on his wall."
Sadly, he doesn't know the name of that guy and so, can't reach him. Just the thought of someone just having that guitar on his wall and doesn't even know what it is, is tearing me apart. I have to push my teacher a bit to contact that ex-guitarist. I just had to share this story with you guys, since it is so bizarre....and because it hurts my soul.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 12:44 PM

Re: A terrible, terrible story of a lost Jem...

check ebay!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 02:37 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: A terrible, terrible story of a lost Jem...

On the last day of a 3 week almost perfect outing with Britny Fox... We got done with our set, broke down, packed up...shot the bull with the promoter, (who we used quite often) and the bartenders, and sound guys, who we all knew fairly well, and then went home. Later the next day I realized I didn't have my Jem 77FP, 777VBK, or a customized 7RB. I figured one of the other guys had it with their stuff, and didn't give it a second thought. The day after that I called the other guitarist and he said he didn't have my guitars. I then proceeded to get the same story from each of the other band members and our small crew. I was devastated, and truly felt like crying. The next day I drove all the way back to the club to see if there was possibly a chance they were still there...No such luck. I contacted the club owners, sound company, the bouncers, and all the bartenders, and came up empty. In my final stage of despair I contacted the promoter, knowing full well he wasn't a musician, and that I'd get the same answer anyway. We had to go back out on the road in 2 days, and all the other guitars I owned were like crap to me. I felt broken inside...

But wait...

The promoter picked up his phone, and replied..."You mean these [email protected] looking flowery pink guitars here in my living room? I knew they were yours, who the hell else would play something so fruity looking?"

My jaw hit the floor! I was so freaking relieved that I just about started bawling...

Apparently we'd used my guitars to prop the back door open when unloading our gear from the club, and the bouncer had pulled them back in when he closed the door. So that when we checked to make sure we had everything, there was nothing to be seen. I never misplaced a guitar again!!

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 02:41 PM

"Hey,, those are some niiiiice doorstops"!!!

glad you got them back!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
check ebay!
well, I am a 15 year old guitarist, who gets like 60 bucks a month(-30 for lessons and 15 for strings, etc...)... yeah sure I can spend that much on a guitar.

Wow, I would go nuts and eat my own underpants if my guitars would get stolen...

It just bugs me that a guy, who never played a guitar has a 3000$ guitar on his living room wall, just as decoration...AAAARGHH *brain collapses* ogm#aepibc...
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 05:18 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADTUNES666 View Post
On the last day of a 3 week almost perfect outing with Britny Fox... We got done with our set, broke down, packed up...shot the bull with the promoter, (who we used quite often) and the bartenders, and sound guys, who we all knew fairly well, and then went home. Later the next day I realized I didn't have my Jem 77FP, 777VBK, or a customized 7RB. I figured one of the other guys had it with their stuff, and didn't give it a second thought. The day after that I called the other guitarist and he said he didn't have my guitars. I then proceeded to get the same story from each of the other band members and our small crew. I was devastated, and truly felt like crying. The next day I drove all the way back to the club to see if there was possibly a chance they were still there...No such luck. I contacted the club owners, sound company, the bouncers, and all the bartenders, and came up empty. In my final stage of despair I contacted the promoter, knowing full well he wasn't a musician, and that I'd get the same answer anyway. We had to go back out on the road in 2 days, and all the other guitars I owned were like crap to me. I felt broken inside...

But wait...

The promoter picked up his phone, and replied..."You mean these [email protected] looking flowery pink guitars here in my living room? I knew they were yours, who the hell else would play something so fruity looking?"

My jaw hit the floor! I was so freaking relieved that I just about started bawling...

Apparently we'd used my guitars to prop the back door open when unloading our gear from the club, and the bouncer had pulled them back in when he closed the door. So that when we checked to make sure we had everything, there was nothing to be seen. I never misplaced a guitar again!!

NOW....I've heard it all!!! When original FP's,VBK's and RB's get used as doorstops, it's time for me to find a new gig....LOL

You sir are a very lucky man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFreak777 View Post
well, I am a 15 year old guitarist, who gets like 60 bucks a month(-30 for lessons and 15 for strings, etc...)... yeah sure I can spend that much on a guitar.

Wow, I would go nuts and eat my own underpants if my guitars would get stolen...

It just bugs me that a guy, who never played a guitar has a 3000$ guitar on his living room wall, just as decoration...AAAARGHH *brain collapses* ogm#aepibc...
Don't worry man.........in the coming years you'll get plenty of opportunities to acquire rare,cool or otherwise awesome guitars of your own (maybe even an LNG!!) until the just savor the GAS!!!!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFreak777 View Post

Or you can get one of these..

It's a cheaper route to go than getting the real thing. Plus, there's not the worry that comes with owning a real LNG.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 07:01 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: A terrible, terrible story of a lost Jem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
NOW....I've heard it all!!! When original FP's,VBK's and RB's get used as doorstops, it's time for me to find a new gig....LOL

You sir are a very lucky man!!
Trust me I know how lucky I was...I was indebted to the promoter for years. It was a running gag after a while...He'd be like "Can you take a little less for this gig?" Then he'd look at the guitar...That only worked for a few gigs thank goodness... I literally was sick to my stomach until I got them back...When I went to the club looking for them, my wife had to drive, because I was just a wreck!

I've since sold the VBK and the RB, but the FP will be in the family forever...
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMatt142 View Post

It's a cheaper route to go than getting the real thing. Plus, there's not the worry that comes with owning a real LNG.
Who are those made by?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 04:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.

UUUH that is one nice Geetar. Seriously, who made that, how much did it cost and where can I get one? ;D
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 05:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
check ebay!
Did you mean that green painted 550?
Yeah it looks good, but I still don't have the money.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 06:01 AM

http://www.simscustomshop.com/

I actually got this one off the bay from a guy. It was built just this year and I got a heck of a deal considering what they cost straight from Sims. He does great work and this thing plays just as good as a real Jem. Besides, you won't see this type of flame on an authentic Jem neck....
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

Isn't Sims banned from this site? There are a lots of horror stories about him on the net. There is even a site about him that tells about his fraud.
His quality seems to be top notch nonetheless, but his reliability seems very off.
I often look at his site, just because what he shows looks awsome.
But because of all the bad rep this guy has I wouldn't buy anything from him. I am glad that you got this beautiful guitar and if someone on the bay who has no connection to him would sell work of his, I would consider it.

I asked Ernie Taylor for a quote once, and his work seems really good. I am looking forward to buy a LNG copy from him in a few years.(only body and neck though. Hardware most likely from rich and a handrest from username: steve)

I don't reallly like flamed maple on a neck. "Some" birdseye on the fingerboard is enough.

Glad you are happy with it! How much did it cost you?
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 04:25 PM

I've spoke with Sims.

What you may not know is he had a car accident some years back and when they gave him an exam at the hospital it turned out he had a brain tumor that had to be removed, leaving him out of work for over six months. His vision was messed up and he was extremely light sensitive. Using a computer was out of the question due to the bright monitor, so he was not checking E-mails. He had told customers before his surgery, that they had a choice, get your guitar back in the condition it is in now, or wait for me to recover and then I will finish your guitar. The people that waited became impatient and angry with him in the end. Then it blew up in to a frenzy and he got pissed too, I would have too if I was him. He started arguing with people on a few different forums and got a bad rep in some circles. He paints guitars for several different companies. If he was that bad he wouldn't have their business. He must do enough good business, or he would be out of business by now.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 08:09 PM

Yeah, you have to be patient with those guys (Sims, ET, etc...). The best thing to do is contact them and get a dialog going before diving in with no direction with what you want. Right now I'm waiting on a neck from Ernie @ ET and it's already a month and a half over the initial due date. I'm not sweating it though, things happen, I'm not his only customer, and he has a life besides making my neck. It'll get done regardless and I'll have my custom swirl....
As far as sharing prices about what I pay for guitars,...I don't really like doing that. I will say though that it was far cheaper than the price shown on Sims website...

Tags
ibanez jem 777 lng , not used

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode