Is there some love for the Edge Pro? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 65
Is there some love for the Edge Pro?

My new 7vwh is my first EP guitar.

Ok granted I have it from Rich, so it has the locking stud mod.

But I see so many people always flaming the Edge Pro etc. and I have to say I really like it. Ok it was very well setup of course, but I like the low cast and how I can easily palm mute etc. Feels very natural for my playstyle.
I get very cool flutter and heavy trem effects work extremely well.

All in all I have to say I like it much more the the original Edge in my RG. (Or ex RG as I just sold it...)

Ok granted not having an intonation tool s*cks a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 08:14 AM

Re: Is there some love for the Edge Pro?

? The Edge III gets slated all the time - soft metal rather than design - but I don't think the Edge Pro takes too much flak (except for the fact it's no longer 'an original Edge' from the traditionalists). I like mine, but I should spend more time working it.... but that's another story.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 10:24 AM

The first JEM I ever played had a Lo Pro...... I liked it (the whole guitar) so decided to get one. Yep, EP equipped! So I went and compared the two..... not that I'm any kinda great judge of whammies. But the EP felt more comfortable and seemed to be less intrusive in that my hand wasn't hitting it quite as much.

As far as setup.... who knows, I've never set up a Lo Pro, but I don't see any real difference in design or operating principals that would make one superior to the other. Guess only someone like Rich could give a professional opinion on that.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think some perceive the EP as not being cast or machined as well as the Lo Pro. I surely didn't notice it. Then again I set up both of my Ibanezs' (both EP equipped) and haven't had any issues. It's not like I have setup tens or hundreds of these. And added experence at anything surely helps shape your opinion.

Maybe Rich will chime in here..... That should give us all some insight on whether there is real differences or just a perception problem.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I think that there'll be a lot of love for the edge pro when the Edge Zero arrives - what we had is usually so much better than what we'll be getting
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 03:22 PM

I have an Edge, Lo Pro, Edge pro and a Edge Pro 7 and I have to say I have no issues with any of them.

The saddles are a vast improvment on the Edge Pro over the old ones on the Edge and Lo Pro.

Only thing I can complain about is they all break strings on the bridge when exessive whammy abuse is employed (witch is like all the time). But on the up side strings last like for ages because you can remove the broken bit and wind the string down into position again. Great. Do this to all six strings befour a gig and they wont break. Oh yes I do use 3mm Jim Dunlop Stubbys witch are like bricks and Im sure that dont help, but I have played with them for years and can not move off them.

If anything is changed on anything iconic people are going to complain, its only natural.

Thumbs up to both old and new.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I think that there'll be a lot of love for the edge pro when the Edge Zero arrives - what we had is usually so much better than what we'll be getting
Beautifully put.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 01:05 AM

I like it better than the Lo Pro Edge, and pretty much equal to the Edge.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyH View Post
Beautifully put.

davy, you crack me up

So, I guess ther is love for the EP after all....! No complaints from me
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 10:34 AM

I like the Edge Pro a lot. Everything on it is very precisely made, all motion on the moving parts is very precise.

Tags
edge zero , intonation tool , jim dunlop , locking stud , locking stud mod , palm mute , pro edge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode