Is there someone out there who does custom necks profiles? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Is there someone out there who does custom necks profiles?

Custom necks for a JEM with the new All access heel?

I really want a Wolfgang profile neck with stainless steel frets.

Warmoth isnt an option because I talked to Ken Warmoth persoanlly and he told me it wouldnt work.

Anybody know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 11:11 PM

My friend C.B. may be into making you one. He makes his own necks I think for all of his guitars that he builds. I'll talk to him tomorrow, and see what he thinks. If he's into it, I'll give him your info, and you two can figure it out. He will also re-radius necks and stuff like that too...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 12:36 PM

I saw this thread a day or two ago and am wondering why no one else has posted. *shrugs*

There's going to be two major hurdles before you'll get your neck the way you want it.

1) The Wolfgang is a 22 Fret neck and the Jem is 24 - not so much a hurdle but it won't feel the same.
2) The Jem necks are wider then the Wolfgang so you're still not going to get the same feel because the LoPro (and TRS) are spaced for a wider neck. I don't know if you're not going to have problems with the spacing at the higher frets because of this. It could be that the strings will end up farther apart, in relation to the edge of the neck, at the 24th then at the 1st if you want the same dimensions.

I'm no expert but this is also something I've been thinking about for a few weeks now - exactly the same question - and came to this conclusion on my own. I could just as easily be wrong - but me personally, I'm gonna try to get one of the new Wolfgang QT Specials for a back-up/beater guitar and be done with it. They're WAAAAAY cheap and for the money, not a bad axe.

LJ
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 01:26 PM

The Wolfgang is also a shorter scale length than a Jem, that will be the biggest difference.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

actually. I wanted to have a CUSTOM 24 fret neck done with a Wolfgang profile. It would still adhere to the traditional Ibanez specs, but with that fat smooth egg shaprd bottom, and possibly jumbo stainless steel frets!

Not wanting an EXACT wolfgang neck, like I said, I wanted it's profile
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini8026
Not wanting an EXACT wolfgang neck, like I said, I wanted it's profile
It can be done but I don't believe the AANJ would be the same as on an Ibanez. The neck is much thicker on the Wolfgang, so some engineering would need to happen. This would probably require a new body to accomplish this, otherwise the neck would sit too high. You can possibly have a luthier make a new Jem or Ibanez body style with a CLOSE resemblance to the AANJ. My guess would less wood would be removed during countouring the back of the neck joint for strength, yet the neck pocket would be deeper.

This makes one think...

Gabe
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 04:16 PM

Quote:
I wanted to have a CUSTOM 24 fret neck done with a Wolfgang profile.
You could get that thickness but what makes a Wolfgang's neck so comfy, in my hand anyway, is that although it's a thick profile - much thicker then I usually like - it's also not as wide on the face. I think if you try to make a Jem neck with the same profile then you're gonna end up with a baseball bat. If ya want a Les Paul then no problem

LJ
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

well, I guess it is not worth it then....

I had just was hoping for an easy solution but it isnt worth all of the hassle.

IS there a place that sells Wizard necks individually?

Instead of going thick like the Wolfgang, I may as well buy a ultra thin Wizard neck instead

Im picking up a RG421 and I would like to have a Wizard neck on it. Can anybody help me locate someone who sells Wizard necks and would be willing to put on a regular nut (non Floyd/locking style)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Can anybody help me locate someone who sells Wizard necks and would be willing to put on a regular nut (non Floyd/locking style)
You might as well get a custom neck made. It will be cheaper (depending on your inlay options) and finding an Ibanez neck is like Anna Nicole Smith trying to find someone who loves her for who she is... very rare occurence.

There are many good builders here on the forum, Eddie and LGM...

Gabe
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 04:34 PM
EKG

I am still gearing up for the necks...I want perfection before I offer ;-)
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 04:35 PM

Gemini, check your pm,
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2002, 03:22 AM

My friend is only doing necks for his own guitars...the other thing he said is that stainless steel frets are something he doesn't wanna deal with...lol
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2002, 01:44 PM

If you want a neck made to fiot your guitar,it is a custom jjob.A few places can do it.BE prepared to spend atleast $350.00 for one though since it will be a total custom neck.

you can try out these guys here.Chris does all my guitar work adn can make anything if you are willing to pay for it.www.eastcoastmusic.com

Just navigate to the custom shop or call them in COnnecticut.You can also try out USA Customs here.they can make anything you want too if you are willing ot pay.www.usacustomguitars.com

Tags
custom necks , custom shop , fret neck , ibanez neck , jem neck , les paul , neck joint , stainless steel frets , steel frets , thin wizard neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode