Thingie to help my tapping - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Thingie to help my tapping

I once saw an interview with Jennifer Batten where she said she used a "thingie" whose name i canīt remeber to silence (dampen) the open strings while tapping.. i'm trying to play Midnight on my JS but can't stop the open strings from sounding a bit too much...

Anybody knows what it is? it stayed on the nut, and she could lower it at will (it had a knob/spring or something..)

Anybody?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 01:04 AM

I know what you're talking about, I remember seeing the ad in guitar magazines years ago, but I dunno if that thing still exists. As an alternative, you can take a rag, wrap it around the neck and tuck it like a towel so it stays. I've seen vid of Satch doing this. Works well, and you can use the rag to clean the strings when you're done.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 01:09 AM

Or if you're like me, you can use an old pair of sweatsocks to dampen the strings.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 04:23 AM

I met Jennifer Batten about ten years ago and I asked her about this. Apparently (IIRC) they were made by Washburn, but they were discontinued a long time ago. Shame really as I really wanted one!

I might make one though, it's just a spring loaded bar with a neoprene pad on it attached to the headstock. You can flip it up and down to enable/disable the damping effect.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 06:47 AM

Ah, now I know what you mean. It's the same thing that Michael Angelo uses in that video (can't put my finger on what the name of the video is though). Some sort of instructional video, I'm sure I've seen it around Jemsite somewhere.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 06:53 AM

Just found this on Batten.com:

http://www.batten.com/damper.htm
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.. i've also been using a rag (actually now i've moved on to a neatly folded piece of soft cloth, and some rubber bands), but it would be neat to have one of those things.. i'm thinking of adapting a capo for that effect... loosen it a bit and see if it works..

Thanks!!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 12:59 PM

Hair scrunchies work well, and family members don't seem to notice when you nick them.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 01:31 PM

Reviews: 4
That's because if you use them, you lose them all the time anyway. I was going to post the Scuncy thing too. Victor Wooten (my favorite bass player if you don't know who he is) uses them for just this purpose. My bass-playing friend does too sometimes. They seem to work really well. Plus you can move it easily and quickly, and "store" it by sliding it up past the nut for when you're not needing it. Easy access!!

All that said, shouldn't you work on your muting as part of tapping? I'm not trying to be a smart ass, because I've not even gotten that far in my playing yet (I suck).
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Well i certainly agree with the muting comment... is anyone capable of muting the strings playing Midnight?? I use my left index a lot so it's almost impossible to stop strings.. does Joe mute while playng this? Or just gets the old sock out??

Anybody?
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 04:24 PM

Just learn to mute the open strings you are not tapping on, with the fingers you are not using(for me, it's usually the ring/pinky finger, and learning to dampen strings with the index of my fretting hand). If you look at EVH's tapping technique, you will see how well he does this. It just takes practice, and be sure to start out playing slow and work your speed up..

With tapping, it takes practice to actually hit/tap the string cleanly/accurately without hitting adjacent ones that you're not supposed to hit........it took me a while to improve my tapping.....but i can now manage to play "midnight" and "new day at the beach" a lot cleaner than when i started tapping period

Like anything else, after alot of practice, you will "clean up" a lot of string noise....
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 04:06 AM

Quote:
is anyone capable of muting the strings playing Midnight
Yes - I actually find it more musical to play without any sort of mechanical muting on Midnight.

I use a combination of both hands to mute, it's difficult to visualise sitting here though!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 06:51 PM
Fry

Micheal Angelo has a cool string dampener that he sells on his website. check it out.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 07:00 AM

<Imagines Joe in the studio Recording SWTA>

"Ermmm..... Too much string noise on Midnight... Need something to dampen the strings..."

<Looks around, then starts to take off his boots>

Apparently Sweaty socks have a higher damping coefficient... See? Learn something new everyday. Try explaining the odd smell on the headstock and the paintwork damage when you try and sell your axe tho.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 09:18 AM

Dimebag had one on his guitars for awile, too.

Tags
guitar mag , jennifer batten , victor wooten

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode