Think this is a real Jem? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Think this is a real Jem?

Someones selling a DY on another forum and its a pretty good deal. Only problem is, the Ibanez logo looks to be off. I have been into Jems for 20 years and havent seen a logo that is positioned lower like this. Maybe this is a common thing? Heres the pics: http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/i..._jon/Jem777DY/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 09:39 PM

Reviews: 11
Re: Think this is a real Jem?

For some reason, I just cant figure photobucket out. All I see are little rinky dink images that I cant tell anything about lol.

Anyway heres some signs to look for for dy chibanez

Inlays are AFU. If the inlays starts at 1, its fake. If the inlay starts at 3 and the first pyramid is chopped, its fake. If the last inlay isnt all pink, its fake.

if the trem arm is screw in, its fake, unless the ABSOLUTE out side its got a replacement, not common at all...

But, judging from the small little pictures I can see, the pickguard looks ok, and the handle looks ok, usually the two biggest give aways. Ask for a serial number, thats a sure fire way.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 10:04 PM

Yeah that logo is questionable. The checkmark starts after the second machine head on the Jems I have seen. This one starts before the second machine head. Might not mean it's a fake though. Also, in one pic the cutaway on the treble side seems a little large. It could just be the camera angle. That's my 2 cents.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 10:08 PM

Reviews: 7

I think it's the camera angle
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

I bet Rich could sniff this one out quick. In all the Jems I have ever seen, never has the logo been in that position. If you do an image search for the lng, sk, and dy, they all have the logo in the exact same spot. Even at different angles it looks to be higher from images I have searched.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 10:45 PM

Reviews: 2

The handle looks wrong, the knobs are the wrong color (too much of a blue tint in them) and the trem arm is the OFR screw-on type. I think this one was a refinish/restoration gone bad.... I'd pass on it if the price is more than $800

Edit: Your obviously right about the logo...... It would never have left the factory like that.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 10:49 PM

Reviews: 37
Smile Re: Think this is a real Jem?

Its not a chibanez. It has real jem or rg parts. the edge trem is real the neck looks very real.
The thing is either a refinshed jem or a frankeinstein jem .
Best way is serial number and body stamp.
Also ask him why the headstock logo is off , which it definetly is.
I would say for sure the neck and trem are real ibanez . rest , who knows?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 11:56 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

It's a real Ibanez, but not sure a real Jem. Looks like a converted RG-550 or a refinished Jem. The end of the logo is not aligned prperly and ends higher on the tip of the headstock than it should. The last inlay looks a bit too big.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
It's a real Ibanez, but not sure a real Jem. Looks like a converted RG-550 or a refinished Jem. The end of the logo is not aligned prperly and ends higher on the tip of the headstock than it should. The last inlay looks a bit too big.
Good eye Batman!! I missed the inlay.....
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 12:09 AM

Are the tuners correct for a 777??? I thought the 777's had the stamped Gotoh logo like on my UV tuners..... can anybody confirm??

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 04:54 AM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemuniverse777 View Post
Someones selling a DY on another forum and its a pretty good deal. Only problem is, the Ibanez logo looks to be off. I have been into Jems for 20 years and havent seen a logo that is positioned lower like this. Maybe this is a common thing? Heres the pics: http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/i..._jon/Jem777DY/
Those last few inlays DO look a bit big, but it could just be the poor quality pictures. I think the dead give away is this part in the description though:

Quote:
neckplate replaced with rg550 neckplate by previous owner
But perhaps the previous owner did actually do that for whatever reason. Have him take off the neck to see what's stamped in there.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 06:05 AM

Based on all your ramblings. THIS is a fake jem as well :
"weird headstock logo"
"miscolored knobs"

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f15/th...ng-112017.html

This thing is real. Its just not taken care of. The ONLY thing kinda weird IS the decal, but its not outlandish for the guy to have replaced it. Those inlays are TOO perfect. The trem is right, the handle is right, the pickguard is right.

Batman -> huh ?
vs

ryc -> No. those are the right tuners...

http://www.rockhardguitars.com/guita...EM777DY_04.jpg

Last edited by linuxpenguin; 05-26-2011 at 08:49 AM.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 07:01 AM
Banned

Reviews: 4

theres no picture of serial plate,looks like a rg550dy custom to me.before you buy id ask to see serial plate,also if you take the neck off inside the cavity should read 777dy.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUCK YOU SUCKERS View Post
theres no picture of serial plate,looks like a rg550dy custom to me.before you buy id ask to see serial plate,also if you take the neck off inside the cavity should read 777dy.

thats a darn good color match for the handle then dude... Simple enough id as you say though.

Last edited by linuxpenguin; 05-26-2011 at 09:03 AM.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 09:08 AM

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f31/fs...ed-104494.html

And let all ye questions be answered lol

Tags
jem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode