Thinking about things left and right - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Thinking about things left and right

I've been fooling around with the idea of learning the guitar left handed.

I am ambidextrous with everything else I do anyway.
I started out left handed and I hated the way I would get my hand dirty in art class.
So I forced myself to learn to draw right handed and now I use both for anything and everything except guitar.

I found a left handed RG550 for sale and I'm tempted to buy it.

Has anyone learned to play both left and right handed?

I think this would bring my right hand playing to a new level.
I could learn new thing for both of my hands.

Sebastian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 12:26 PM

go for it!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 02:35 PM

I'm left handed. I've tried learning right after getting tired of not being able to find quality left-handed guitars, but my right hand has no rythym and after trying for a long time I just couldn't adjust to it. Now I just play any ol' right handed guitar! But if you're ambidextrous it shouldn't be as hard for you to learn lefty as opposed to a lefty learning right and vice versa.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 03:32 PM

I have a friend of mine thats left handed, Golfs/ writes/ throws, but can't play guitar lefty. Only right handed........
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 05:15 PM
HDS

I have a friend that plays a righthanded upside down and he rips!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2004, 01:54 PM

I really don't see any point in learning to play the same instrument in a different way. Why would you want to go through all the trouble of re-learning things you can already do in another way?

Learn another instrument, that way you can expand your musical knowledge and have another voice to express yourself.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2004, 03:23 PM
dex

zEr0's right.
Unles you are as good as Rusty Cooley just stick with getting better the way you play now rather than waiste time learning something you know how to do anyway.

Being a leftie is not an issue in the musical world appart for guitarists.

ilia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Reed Smith
No such thing as a left handed grand piano
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 12:54 PM

I used to tell people essentially the same thing as that PRS quote. There really aren't many instruments available in a lefty-version or that can be reconfigured for lefties except for a few. I truly believe that you will get accustomed to the instrument which ever way you are taught how to play it. How many drunken party-goers have you seen play "air guitar" the wrong way?

I worked in a high-volume music store for a number of years and there really isn't a whole lot of lefty guitarists out there. Not only that, I'd be willing to be that at least about half of those lefties learned and continue to play righty. I always encouraged beginners to start righty. IF they didn't ask if there was a L/R difference-I didn't mention it. Usually works out fine. Most people struggle in the beginning anyway.

To start righty and attempt to learn lefty all over again will more than likely be a major inconvenience.

Mike 777 Haug
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

I don't plan to switch over to lefty.
I want to try to push my hands to do more.
I can't really play any faster or cleaner right handed.
I'm just looking for a new guitar challenge I guess.
I've been playing for 16 years now.
I think it will be fun for me to have to struggle again.

I love learning new things.
I find most achievements anticlimactic.
I don't really know anyone that hasn't given up on music and sold all of their gear off.
I don't have anyone to play with anymore.
It is hard to keep going sometimes.
I love playing guitar.
It gets depressing when I think about the fact that I am musically alone.

Sebastian
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 12:43 AM

I think you should do whatever it takes to stir up creativity...there isn't enough out there these days.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 03:52 AM

I don't understand why you would want to spend time & money relearning stuff to be played left-handed - why bother? I mean unless you're going to be another "MichaelAngelo" and have a left&right double necked guitar what's to be gained? Unless you ended up being able to play way better L than R...
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 10:02 AM

Maybe this is a bit off-topic but I saw Eric Clapton live last Sunday (w00t!) and his fellow guitarplayer Doyle Bramhall plays a left-handed guitar with the strings up-side-down. From the floor to his head: EADGBE, I mean just turn around the strings; if you have multiple guitars; you don't have to buy a new one...or is this a bad idea 'cause of the tension/body-shape etc.?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian
I don't really know anyone that hasn't given up on music and sold all of their gear off.
I don't have anyone to play with anymore.
It is hard to keep going sometimes.
I love playing guitar.
It gets depressing when I think about the fact that I am musically alone.

Sebastian
I know exactly what you're saying, and where you're coming from. I'm in pretty much the same boat (and, I'm moving soon). I wouldn't go lefty, though. Personally, I'm looking to get a Yamaha DGX500 grand piano, and a Motif 6. I plan to get better on the keyboards, and just do all of my own backing tracks (pianos, strings, drums, everything) on the two keyboads with a laptop and some cheap software, like Cakewalk or something. The more I think about it, the more I look forward to it. Why not at least look into doing something similar yourself? Lots of used synths available with sequencers built in, so you needn't get a whole studio setup to start off.

jim

Tags
air guitar , backing track , double neck , eric clapton , music store , paul reed , paul reed smith , playing guitar , reed smith , rusty cooley

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode