Thinning Humbrol Enamel - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Question Thinning Humbrol Enamel

Hello, what do i use to thin Humbrol oil enamel? Or any oil enamel for that fact. Just in case you havent figured out already, im going to do a swirl and i beleive the paint needs to be thinned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 09:52 AM

Re: Thinning Humbrol Enamel

Mineral spirits , or airbrush thinner , both should be available at your local hobby shop . Should be about the consistency of water when it's thinned enough . Hope this helps.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 12:39 PM

Reviews: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jski7 View Post
Mineral spirits , or airbrush thinner , both should be available at your local hobby shop . Should be about the consistency of water when it's thinned enough . Hope this helps.
Hi there.. just want to ask.. can i premix the thinner in my humbrol paint so that i dont have to put it everytime i have to use it??

thank you for this wonderful info
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarudesu View Post
. . .can i premix the thinner in my humbrol paint so that i dont have to put it everytime i have to use it??

Sure you can, but most painters wouldn't do this because it's much harder to thicken paint than it is to thin. Like adding salt to soup, you can always add more . . . but it's tough to take it out once it's in.

Peace

Mike
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 10:29 AM

Also remember to add Borax to the water it releives the surface tension which helps the paint float on top.

The best paints I have used (I have tried alot of them from model paint to house paint to hobby paint) are automotive paint. House of Color make a great product but I think Kirker is the best for swirling.

Kirker has some incredible colors.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 07:37 AM

this should be moved to the mod section...
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarudesu View Post
Hi there.. just want to ask.. can i premix the thinner in my humbrol paint so that i dont have to put it everytime i have to use it??

If you want to use it after months you should't, thinner will damage the paint over time.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 11:51 PM

I realize this is an old thread but was hoping someone might have a specific paint reccomendation for swirling. Kirker has some different products and I don't have any idea which I should be using. Urethane, acrylic enamel, something else? My 15 year old is nuts to try this. He's been warned that it could go very bad but he's determined. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 01:19 AM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameyeam View Post
I realize this is an old thread but was hoping someone might have a specific paint reccomendation for swirling. Kirker has some different products and I don't have any idea which I should be using. Urethane, acrylic enamel, something else? My 15 year old is nuts to try this. He's been warned that it could go very bad but he's determined. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
I've been hearing oil paints lately and it makes sense. Floats on water, dries REALLY hard, and has vibrant colors.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 11:37 AM

I'm guessing that Urethane and or acrylic enamel might be oil based. Kirker auto paints were highly reccomended for swirling on this thread so I'm just hoping to narrow it down to a specific type. Thanks!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 12:08 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

I'd go with acrylic. Yes--you want oil based paint.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 01:10 PM

Thanks for the advice. We'll do some experimenting and see how it goes.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 02:06 AM

Reviews: 11

It's harder than you think. Coming from someone who's tried and failed..... but will try again in the near future.

It would be a good art to perfect.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 02:28 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macka View Post
It's harder than you think. Coming from someone who's tried and failed..... but will try again in the near future.

It would be a good art to perfect.
(In Yoda voice) Hmmmmmmmm, yes--to Macka you listen! Seriously though, just getting the right paints to work along with the mixture, the actual swirl process is something that takes a good bit of practice and spare wood to perfect. It is not as easy as it may seem. All of the guides and tuts are great for describing the process, but it is art to perfect. So many have tried a few times, then give up. If you're persistent--keep at it. Once you get your technique down, and that first good swirl--you'll be very gratified and future swirls will be easier from the lessons learned.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 02:31 AM

We had attempted some samples a few months ago and the results were all over the place. Mostly not good. Like a lot of things it will just take a lot of mistakes to learn how to do it right. I don't think it's a dark art or anything. If we find success I will share what I found that worked.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode