Are those really one piece necks ?? - Do the JEM and UV guit - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 04:30 AM Thread Starter

Are those really one piece necks ?? - Do the JEM and UV guit

Hi, Iīve got an old UV7 BK with an Edge tremolo.

Anyway when I look at the necks of UV and JEM guitars itīs hard to believe that they are one piece !!!
Just look at the lowest picture at "guitars-->Neck Joint"
on this page.
At the upper neck you can see a cut directly under the two saddle screws. It looks like the neck is assembled out of two pieces !!!
Are we being fooled or is there something I should know about one pice necks ???

Another thing is my UV has no serial number. Can someone explain this ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Are those really one piece necks ??

I think it may be that the "neck" is one piece and that the "headstock" is another piece, so even though the bit bolted to the body is 2 bits of maple, there's only one bit making up the actual neck area?!?!?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 08:29 AM

That'll be a spliced headstock joint you're thinking of.
The neck and headstock are outlined onto one piece of wood (or as many laminates as you wish) then the neck is cut out and the headstock is cut off at the angle, it's then reversed and glued back on.
It can also consist of a completely different piece of wood, but you don't find this too often.

This save's wood and believe it or not, also creates a stronger joint.
But there is an argument that you loose some sustain as opposed to having the headstock and neck cut completely to shape from 1 piece of wood.

Cheers
Steve
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 02:57 PM

Hi Igorrr!
I'm pleased! You are the third german member. I also
live in Rheinland Pfalz. Welcome
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 03:45 PM
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
Anyway when I look at the necks of UV and JEM guitars itīs hard to believe that they are one piece !!!
Just look at the lowest picture at "guitars-->Neck Joint"
on this page. At the upper neck you can see a cut directly under the two saddle screws. It looks like the neck is assembled out of two pieces !!!
As others said, the JEM/UVs have the one piece neck with glued on headstock. Two pieces of wood, not counting the third for the fretboard
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 10:12 AM

I think the "cut" you're seeing before the joint screws is actually discoloration. *The neck appears to be a bit dirty/faded compared to the section that's usually covered by the body. *Just a guess though.

On the topic of the headstock thing, I saw a clear red B.C. Rich guitar (don't know the material used for the body) that had a standard maple neck, and a tilt back clear headstock made from the same stuff as the body. *It showed VERY clearly what these guys are talking about with the tilt back joint.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies :-)

Does that mean that there are guitars where the neck is assembled out of much more pieces (like plywood ;-) ???
I always thought that one piece necks were built out of one solid piece of wood (in case you have a rosewood fretboard the rest of the neck is one piece ;-)

I know many guitars where it is that way ( some even under 500$).
Why did Ibanez do this? For which purpose ?

I just wanted to know.
I love playing the neck though. Itīs slim and it isnīt much broader than 6 string neck. :-)
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 08:11 PM

hmmm plywood now theres somthing I havent tried!!

no its unusual to find the main neck shaft made out of more than three pieces, five is more rare.

laminated necks are stonger than one piece generally, but on the VWH and on the Universe Ibanez use quatersawn wood (or very close) which means that the grain is perpendicular to the fingerboard, this adds huge stablity strength and consistancy.

the 7Dbk has a three piece neck, two maple one bubinga giving it that "skunk stripe"

hope that helped

Steve
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 08:57 PM

Reviews: 30

Are you all referring to a scarf joint on the neck?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 04:20 AM Thread Starter

To be honest, I donīt know what a "scarf joint" is.
Is it the area where to pieces of wood are glued together ???

But still, even if it is a great neck, isnīt it still sort of lying. No doubt the JEM and Universe are great guitars, but when reading the specs in advance, buying the guitar and noticing then that the descriptions arenīt true. I just donīt think itīs fair, even if itīs a feature.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 07:56 AM

but the neck and headstock are often considered different pieces, in electric guitar circles
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 09:59 AM

You'll mainly find laminates of 3 or more pieces of wood used with necks that are quite thin, like on the dbk.

The middle laminate is usually a very dense hard wood such as Bubinga (or as in my case Wenge ) to add that bit of extra strength.

I find 3 peices plenty enough, with 5 being a bit of unnessecary overkill.

Steve
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 05:51 PM

five can look sweet though,

imagine
15mm maple/ 5 mm ebony / 14mm bubinga / 5 mm ebony / 15 mm maple

looks very sweet, but has no structural or tonal advantage, just looks cool
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 10:24 PM

I asked this question about a month ago with no replies. My two UVs and my 7dbk all have scarf joints. So did the FP I used to own. The specs on the Ibanez website over the last few years say 1pc. maple. Obviously not so. No big deal though, the neck is actually stronger with the joint.

John
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 10:39 PM
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
Quote: from johnBKNY on 9:24 pm on July 8, 2001
I asked this question about a month ago with no replies. My two UVs and my 7dbk all have scarf joints. So did the FP I used to own. The specs on the Ibanez website over the last few years say 1pc. maple. Obviously not so. No big deal though, the neck is actually stronger with the joint.
If you look at GUITARS "Ibanez Necks" you can now see comparisons of 1-piece, 3-pc and headstick splices... glen

Tags
edge trem , electric guitar , ibanez neck , ibanez necks , maple neck , neck joint , rosewood fretboard , scarf joint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode