Thoughts on the PIA (The new JEM)? - Page 11 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

524Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 627 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 01:50 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: Thoughts on the PIA (The new JEM)?

I’m not warming to it so far...At the moment, I’m leaning towards getting an old fashioned JEM style custom built. Mrs Jono is leaning towards that new kitchen!

I think the issue is that the JEM guys were hoping for an amazing new JEM, whereas Vai is saying, “I’m not about those any more”. It’s like a personal affront to their taste in guitars.

Whilst Vai is saying that he’s moved on from the JEM, a lot of JEM fans haven’t.

As such it’s like the end of a relationship where one person is saying it’s over and they’ve found someone else and they’re leaving, but that revelation comes as a shock to the other partner who’s not ready for the split.

Basically JEM guys have just been dumped by Steve Vai, and the Premium models are the “we can still be friends”...
jim777, Hoseki and califj like this.
jono is online  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 627 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 01:58 AM
Vendor

Boil it all down, and the only thing that changed is the grip. I see this as more of a facelift before the wrinkles show too much. The guitar itself has changed very little, it's just a subtle change that has everybody fixated. It's not like he jumped on the AZ bandwagon or anything
post #153 of 627 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post

How is PIA pronounced?
Just like the end of the word utoPIA or princiPIA, but not quite so fast.
post #154 of 627 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 02:16 AM
Vendor

I will happily say I think the pedals, although a shock when I first saw them, but when you open your mind you might see them as attractive, they fit the space, they're unique, I want to see it in person. I could care less if I can hold by a pedal as long as it looks good in hand.

You guys have been begging for something fresh for years, and this is as fresh as it gets. I'm another that is not partial to the covered pickups, it's coming back in alot of models, with the fishmans and covered Dimarzios.

I would expect as excited as Steve is with PIA, that you will see another model next year replacing the colors that will hopefully fall into a rotation that's been missing in Japan production. I'd bet you will see a Premium PIA sometime, and I don't doubt you might see a Japanese JEM. All options are open. But Steve loves PIA, and I can guarantee you, if the JEM never existed and Steve held a pink PIA up at Summer NAMM 87', most that loved the JEM would have found PIA just as exciting and interesting.
post #155 of 627 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I will happily say I think the pedals, although a shock when I first saw them, but when you open your mind you might see them as attractive, they fit the space, they're unique, I want to see it in person. I could care less if I can hold by a pedal as long as it looks good in hand.

You guys have been begging for something fresh for years, and this is as fresh as it gets. I'm another that is not partial to the covered pickups, it's coming back in alot of models, with the fishmans and covered Dimarzios.

I would expect as excited as Steve is with PIA, that you will see another model next year replacing the colors that will hopefully fall into a rotation that's been missing in Japan production. I'd bet you will see a Premium PIA sometime, and I don't doubt you might see a Japanese JEM. All options are open. But Steve loves PIA, and I can guarantee you, if the JEM never existed and Steve held a pink PIA up at Summer NAMM 87', most that loved the JEM would have found PIA just as exciting and interesting.
That's pretty much spot on, couldn't agree more.

Sometimes this reminds me of Porsche 911 enthusiasts; all they want is a new 911, which must be like the old one, but still somehow new
And I get that as well. I understand if people see this to be too much of a design change. To me, these changes are more like "fresh and interesting".
Hoseki likes this.

Last edited by marviner; 01-09-2020 at 02:29 AM.
post #156 of 627 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 02:35 AM
Super Moderator

The trouble is, Steve didn't stand up at NAMM 87 with a PIA and, whilst the petals are "unique", the monkey grip is "COOL" and backed by 30 years of more cool. Rightly or wrongly, the JEM will always be linked with Steve at his very best, Eat em and Smile, (Charvel) Skyscraper (JEM or Anderson maybe?) Slip of the Tongue (Universe) and Passion and Warfare (JEM maybe? Who knows) and Alien Love Secrets (JEM (and a Strat), Fire Garden (JEM). It's linked with swirl finishes, it's linked with groundbreaking playing, everything that made Vai, Vai when Vai was most popular.

The PIA is associated with Steve Vai as he turns 60, arguably 30 years since his seminal work.

I think Vai needs to prove this guitar, or the PIA is basically just a derivative copy of an Ibanez JEM...
Hoseki likes this.
jono is online  
post #157 of 627 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 02:46 AM
Vendor

I can disagree with nothing but I would still say if he held up a PIA in 1987 it would have been just as popular as the JEM.

Steve doesn't have anything to prove. It need to sells tons to assure himself that this is what he likes now and the direction he taking, with HUGE BALLS? This is what he likes, he has nothing he needs to prove. This is his taste now. If you like it you can have one too. If you don't you can do whatever else you want. I'm sure he'd like to know others like them, but I'm sure he also knows that die hards are going to be opinionated.
jono, jim777, OCDemon and 1 others like this.
post #158 of 627 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 03:25 AM

Quote:
I can disagree with nothing but I would still say if he held up a PIA in 1987 it would have been just as popular as the JEM.

I dont agree with that at all. The Jem was always a cool looking guitar. The PIA isnt. Simple as that. There were plenty of weird looking guitars released in the 80's that didnt make it and the PIA would of been one of them...

The PIA is so bad that Vai might just be playing a BC Rich next year...
post #159 of 627 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post
The Jem was always a cool looking guitar. The PIA isnt.
That might be true for Vai/Jem fans but is unlikely to be everyone's view. Back in the late '80's not everyone wanted Flouro colours or Flowers on their guitars. Jems (along with a whole swathe of other Rock guitars..) became exceptionally uncool when grunge arrived. 33 years later, they're classics.

I wasn't a Vai fan and wasn't interested in his guitar as a result. I always thought the 7VWH was too bling. When the Seafoam Green 70V appeared in 2012, I just had to have one. Not everybody's cup of Tea but it sure was mine.

Having experienced the Jem first hand, I was hooked. I'm now fortunate to own 8 of these great guitars...

I'm not interested in the Pia. It's too much of a derivative of the Jem. It doesn't seem to offer much benefit to the player and I'm not a fan of the design.

The main differences with the release of the Jem in '87 was that Steve was 'on fire' back then, guitar music was mainstream and the Jem was 'revolutionary'. None of those things apply today.

If the Pia IS genuine, it will have a much harder battle for acceptance & sales success. I doubt there'll be a 30th Anniversary model in 2050..

Last edited by ThePedroDB; 01-09-2020 at 04:20 AM.
post #160 of 627 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 05:09 AM

Quote:
The PIA is so bad that Vai might just be playing a BC Rich next year...
LMAO !!!

But what do you really think is he going to do: Play PIA from now on or really tell everybody that the new guitar is awesome and the newest sh** we must buy and then go back on stage and keep playing EVO and FLO, just like he did when all the other real Jems came out?
Yes I know, he can do whatever he wants, but now that you no longer can buy a 7V or a MIJ Jem this is even less convincing than before.
post #161 of 627 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemerator View Post
LMAO !!!

But what do you really think is he going to do: Play PIA from now on or really tell everybody that the new guitar is awesome and the newest sh** we must buy and then go back on stage and keep playing EVO and FLO, just like he did when all the other real Jems came out?
Yes I know, he can do whatever he wants, but now that you no longer can buy a 7V or a MIJ Jem this is even less convincing than before.
I think he's gonna play EVO and FLO and occasionally PIA.
post #162 of 627 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePedroDB View Post
That might be true for Vai/Jem fans but is unlikely to be everyone's view. Back in the late '80's not everyone wanted Flouro colours or Flowers on their guitars.

Umm, yes they did...
jim777 likes this.
post #163 of 627 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Umm, yes they did...

Nope. Please re-read my earlier post. Back then, (at least) I didn't. I do now though...
post #164 of 627 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 06:27 AM

Quote:
I would expect as excited as Steve is with PIA, that you will see another model next year replacing the colors that will hopefully fall into a rotation that's been missing in Japan production. I'd bet you will see a Premium PIA sometime, and I don't doubt you might see a Japanese JEM. All options are open.
Perhaps things would be better if we patiently waited for NAMM to find out what guitars Ibanez is offering for that particular year. Setting PIA aside, the choices Ibanez makes seem to involve frequent and unpredictable changes to their guitar offerings, making the brand hard to follow, which is frustrating. A little more stability would go a long way in curbing overreaction. Perhaps all options should not be open because that essentially means we can’t count on anything concrete from Ibanez which seems to evoke a negative reaction. PIA might turn out wonderfully well, or PIA may have been the straw that broke the camels back.

This has less to do with guitars and more to do with how Ibanez interacts with their supportive customer base. Something seems off...
pteropid likes this.
post #165 of 627 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Steve doesn't have anything to prove. It need to sells tons to assure himself that this is what he likes now and the direction he taking, with HUGE BALLS? This is what he likes, he has nothing he needs to prove. This is his taste now. If you like it you can have one too. If you don't you can do whatever else you want. I'm sure he'd like to know others like them, but I'm sure he also knows that die hards are going to be opinionated.

I agree with you when you say he has nothing to prove! Steve himself has literally nothing to prove as a guitarist. NOTHING. He's Steve... Vai...

However when I say he has to "prove the guitar" I mean that in order to validate his choice as anything more than an aesthetic whim, as other have said he, needs to play this guitar. Evo needs to go sit out on a lawn chair next to the Green Meanie and we need to see Vai on tour with a PIA, in press shoots with one, in clinics with one. Otherwise the whole thing, after 30 years of the JEM, seems like an empty promise.
jono is online  

Tags
ibanez jem , mij , pia , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode