Thoughts on the PIA (The new JEM)? - Page 13 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

302Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #181 of 380 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 03:13 AM

Re: Thoughts on the PIA (The new JEM)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marviner View Post
The original 777 LNG was quite controversial at the time of it's release. Some people hated it and some loved it - but nobody was indifferent - and in the end it turned out to be one of the most iconic guitars ever.

Most of the times, it takes a bit of controversy and row for something to become a true classic.

PIA has already achieved that, and the damn thing ain't even been announced yet
When the PRS Silver Sky (John Mayer's signature model) was announced, people noticed it resembled a Stratocaster. Drama ensued, as did sales. Apparently, guitarists like drama and will pay $2200 to be right in the middle of it!
Hoseki likes this.
Formerly Given To Fly is online  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 380 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 03:29 AM

Not everybody hates new design. To me, only observable difference is cut out.
So far I prefer previous style too, but I like this new style and I suspect that with more pictures from different angles and videos of PIA, it will look much better.
And everybody is claiming that guitar is named after wife, but wasn't PIA Jem named after piezo bridge that it has? This guitar could be named after PIA Jem.
post #183 of 380 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 09:05 AM

Reviews: 1
Am I right in thinking that the Jem models are still in production? So this means if the PIA models are to be released then they will run along side the Jem models. So what’s all the fuss about? Even if the Jem production is halted there is still 30 years of models available to collectors and players out there somewhere. I personally don’t like the PIA designs but it’s not up to me. I personally feel that a new Jem will be released at NAMM. Fingers crossed!
DEADTUNES666 and Hoseki like this.
ANT5150 is online  
post #184 of 380 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANT5150 View Post
Am I right in thinking that the Jem models are still in production? So this means if the PIA models are to be released then they will run along side the Jem models. So whatís all the fuss about? Even if the Jem production is halted there is still 30 years of models available to collectors and players out there somewhere. I personally donít like the PIA designs but itís not up to me. I personally feel that a new Jem will be released at NAMM. Fingers crossed!
The Indonesian Jems are being made (so the Jem Jr's and the Premium models) but not the Prestige (Made in Japan) Jems. So the high end market Jem is a thing of the past, replaced by the PIA. I think among the purist Jem fans like myself the Prestige (Made In Japan) guitars are what it's all about. At least the Jem 7VP is a good deal and has a proper trem, the other Jems come with the same Edge Zero II trem you find on low end RG's, I mean value for money wise the RG550 Genesis line completely craps on the Jem77P, because the RG550 is made in Japan, costs £400 less and comes with an Original Edge.

So the Jem still exists, but the "real" Japanese high end Jem is gone.
jono and The TPS Report like this.
post #185 of 380 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peromucho7 View Post
Not everybody hates new design. To me, only observable difference is cut out.
So far I prefer previous style too, but I like this new style and I suspect that with more pictures from different angles and videos of PIA, it will look much better.
And everybody is claiming that guitar is named after wife, but wasn't PIA Jem named after piezo bridge that it has? This guitar could be named after PIA Jem.
The PIA Jem w/ the piezo was named after his wife .. LOL.
post #186 of 380 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 04:18 PM

Reviews: 21

I remember a lot of people not liking the Jem when it came out, but mostly that seemed to come from Fender and Gibson people who looked down on Japanese guitars and superstrats in general.
I remember wanting an LNG pretty bad but my tastes have changed since. Yeah, I love my RG20th RF now, but that's kind of a different animal. I was never really a fan of the 7VWH. It looked too much like Elvis in Vegas to me. Crazy enough, my favorite looking Jem is the 70SFG. The original FP is nice too.
The PIA I think is different. I don't see myself ever warming up to that. But to each their own. And I'm betting the will sell.
Hoseki likes this.
post #187 of 380 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 04:24 PM

The whole thing looks really weird, with those covered pickups, the non-functional handle and the coloured tree of life.

Anyways I won't probably buy another Jem since the 30th was a huge disappointment and a total waste of money to me, that thing had absolutely nothing to do with the good old ones. Also I'm still trying to understand the reason for the 43-58mm neck width...
post #188 of 380 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 05:27 PM

Wow,,,Mike Soldano retires last year, and now Ibanez are retiring the MIJ Jems. I've played only my Soldano amps and my MIJ Jem guitars for as long as I remember now.....nothing else works as well for me. Jem neck and sweet Soldano overdrive. Oh well, I guess I'm getting old, but I'm not changing my gear regardless of what happens with these companies. I've been out of the new guitar and amp market forever now,just content with what I'm using, so I guess I wouldn't be buying anything new anyway. I really do hate to see these things come to an end, though.
jono and Hoseki like this.
post #189 of 380 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 05:37 PM

Reviews: 12
Cool Re: Thoughts on the PIA (The new JEM)?

I know in my heart, this is a goof to throw us off...I was going to wait to buy a new JEM, until I heard the NAMM news, but PIA killed it for me...I just bought the JEM 77P. That ups my JEM total to 4. As soon as I get it set up, I'll post the pics.

I am really going to be pissed though when they announce the new JEM, and I have to wait a few months to buy it.
post #190 of 380 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 01:43 AM

Would like to see what these look like without the pickup covers. Those seem to be most objectionable item for me.

With the SS frets, these might actually be some awesome players.
post #191 of 380 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 04:36 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Are the edges of the body more rounded, kind of like a Strat? Rather than the very small radius on the JEM? The leaked pictures make it kind of hard to tell.
post #192 of 380 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Are the edges of the body more rounded, kind of like a Strat? Rather than the very small radius on the JEM? The leaked pictures make it kind of hard to tell.
Certainly looks that way.
I have a pgm100 with what looks like a similar body shape. Previous owner stripped the paint and rounded the body off. Less angular than a JEM/RG but not quite as rounded as a strat. It's very comfortable to play.

Would like to see a PIA in real life.
Everything at this point seems like it will be an absolute monster playability wise.

It's just a pity some of the design choices look cheap/tacky (in my opinion)
marviner likes this.
ibaraki_gaijin is online  
post #193 of 380 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 05:43 AM

I wonder if the neck specs are identical to the JEM. My least favorite thing about the Japanese JEMs (or most RGs) is the 430mm board.
post #194 of 380 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibaraki_gaijin View Post
Certainly looks that way.
I have a pgm100 with what looks like a similar body shape. Previous owner stripped the paint and rounded the body off. Less angular than a JEM/RG but not quite as rounded as a strat. It's very comfortable to play.

Would like to see a PIA in real life.
Everything at this point seems like it will be an absolute monster playability wise.

It's just a pity some of the design choices look cheap/tacky (in my opinion)
I'm absolutely sure, it will be heavenly to play.

Design wise, I think Steve Vai models needs to be over the top, flamboyant, shocking, controversial, and so on. They need to divide opinions, otherwise they would be just plain old guitars, without any character. Nobody would even lift an eyebrow, if they were like that.

So, I think it's good when some people hate this new model, and some people (like me) simply love it.

It means that, whatever it is - at least, it's not boring
post #195 of 380 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 08:10 AM

Talking Re: Thoughts on the PIA (The new JEM)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marviner View Post
I'm absolutely sure, it will be heavenly to play.

Design wise, I think Steve Vai models needs to be over the top, flamboyant, shocking, controversial, and so on. They need to divide opinions, otherwise they would be just plain old guitars, without any character. Nobody would even lift an eyebrow, if they were like that.

So, I think it's good when some people hate this new model, and some people (like me) simply love it.

It means that, whatever it is - at least, it's not boring
Couldn't agree more.

Tags
ibanez jem , mij , pia , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode