Thoughts on the PIA (The new JEM)? - Page 16 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

444Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #226 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 01:37 AM

Re: Thoughts on the PIA (The new JEM)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBazz View Post
You got me curious for a moment there, but it seems to be a MIM guitar with a Floyd Rose Special and a list price of 956?
Here is the MIA, Floyd Rose Original, slightly more expensive version. It is part of a run of 6:
https://www.rainbowguitars.com/guita.../9231010262/fe

Just in case you are curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #227 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 02:48 AM

Please say this is not so!!!
I really do not like the look of these guitars at all.
If it is true, its sweet that he named it after his wife and I like that aspect of it. But other than that, I really can't see any point in changing the Jem to this train wreck. Why couldn't they go with a sustainer and a fully scalloped fretboard like we have seen him use. Changes like that would at least make sense. Ugghh my head is spinning over these pictures.
jono likes this.
post #228 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
Here is the MIA, Floyd Rose Original, slightly more expensive version. It is part of a run of 6:
https://www.rainbowguitars.com/guita.../9231010262/fe

Just in case you are curious.
What's up with the pre-cracked nitro finish though? It's shown but they don't really talk about it in the description, and the guitar doesn't really seem advertised as a relic. And that "Clifford the Big Red Dog" aesthetic? Not my cuppa tea, but i'm sure they're very nice.

Funny how Ed's OG frankenstein is like a $150 POS on paper, lol.
post #229 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathus View Post
What's up with the pre-cracked nitro finish though? It's shown but they don't really talk about it in the description, and the guitar doesn't really seem advertised as a relic. And that "Clifford the Big Red Dog" aesthetic? Not my cuppa tea, but i'm sure they're very nice.

It's a red guitar. You've seen them before.
As for the cracked finish, Fender calls it: Lush Closet Classic Aging
If the word "Relic" appears in the title of a guitar, the price of that guitar is higher than if the word "Relic" does not appear in the title. Whether or not the guitar shows any evidence of being a "Relic" is less important than the label.
I'm just sharing options people may not know about.
Leviathus likes this.
post #230 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
It's easy enough to ask.

@ Rich - Are these for sale already, or are places being taken on the line or something similar?
Dealers that already have their allocations from their reps can sell them as soon as they know they will have them.
So these are actually real guitars Rich?
Not some photoshop job??
post #231 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:

A relic is when they make the guitar look like someone dragged it through a parking lot with a pickup truck. The cracked nitro is just known as ageing or antiquing, Suhr does that too on their "Classic" models, I guess they might call it a light relic?. I don't think I could spend 3000 on a plain Strat with a Floyd Rose though, problem with Fender selling Super Strats is that Fender already make and sell them through Charvel, who have generally more attractive specs and pricing, along with the bright contrasting 80s looks.

Many years back I was in a guitar shop playing Van Halen riffs through the newly (at the time) released Mesa Stilletto, the shop guys pulled out an EVH replica guitar from the back closet and handed it to me to play, then the guy told me the guitar cost something like 8000 and wasn't for sale.... It looked like a piece of ****, it played like a piece of **** and it was copying a $150 guitar, but 8000.... 8000!
BigBazz is online  
post #232 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibag View Post
So these are actually real guitars Rich?
Not some photoshop job??
Don’t need Rich (and Rich has essentially said this is all legit in earlier responses) I was offered these for sale by a reputable store last week.

And they used the same catalog page/photos to offer them.
post #233 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 02:02 PM

Not sure why people are thinking these are doctored. You have any idea how expensive it would be to doctor some guitars then print several thousand catalogs just to throw people off? No way Ibanez would waste their time and money doing that.
Ethn Hayabusa and Hoseki like this.
post #234 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 03:11 PM

Steve seems to be in that position many from his generation have been and are finding themselves in: do I release something new or is it about servicing nostalgia at this point? Steve seems like he's firmly in the first camp.

Meanwhile, at least in relation to his signature guitar, I think Steve is like BTO and everyone else is like Homer.

There will of course be people who like this guitar and others who buy it simply because they're collectors and/or die hard Steve Vai fans, but at it's price point I can only see it diminishing the overall Steve Vai/Jem brand. Whether he likes it or not, a large percentage of the people ready to buy a guitar at this price are more interested in nostalgia.
ThePedroDB likes this.
post #235 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBazz View Post
Quote:

A relic is when they make the guitar look like someone dragged it through a parking lot with a pickup truck. The cracked nitro is just known as ageing or antiquing, Suhr does that too on their "Classic" models, I guess they might call it a light relic?. I don't think I could spend 3000 on a plain Strat with a Floyd Rose though, problem with Fender selling Super Strats is that Fender already make and sell them through Charvel, who have generally more attractive specs and pricing, along with the bright contrasting 80s looks.

Many years back I was in a guitar shop playing Van Halen riffs through the newly (at the time) released Mesa Stilletto, the shop guys pulled out an EVH replica guitar from the back closet and handed it to me to play, then the guy told me the guitar cost something like 8000 and wasn't for sale.... It looked like a piece of ****, it played like a piece of **** and it was copying a $150 guitar, but 8000.... 8000!
I saw the pink Fender Shredder that a dealer accidentally leaked on to the internet...it’s a little different than I thought. It is certainly pink though.

I have heard some weird stories regarding the price of one of EVH’s reissues. The price was really high to begin with and then after some confusion/misunderstanding the price doubled. Imagine being the salesman that has to tell the customer the price we quoted you changed. “The guitar costs twice as much.”
“No problem man,” and the customer proceeds to pay for it all in cash. It was like $25,000.

If that sounds shady it’s because it was shady. Not illegal, just shady. All for an EVH copy.
post #236 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 04:30 PM

I See You
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vaieye_.jpg (40.6 KB, 119 views)
EKG, MM, ArcherXJ220 and 4 others like this.
post #237 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 04:40 PM

hmmm.....
post #238 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by all_seeing_vai View Post
I See You
We see you, too.

Looking forward to seeing these new machines
Viper Pilot is online  
post #239 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 05:44 PM

If only Panther Pink was actually Sparkle Pink. The ultimate Tart's Handbag. Gotta love it..
post #240 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePedroDB View Post
If only Panther Pink was actually Sparkle Pink. The ultimate Tart's Handbag. Gotta love it..
The panther pink one is pretty sick that's all i know... i've been converted.
ThePedroDB likes this.

Tags
ibanez jem , mij , pia , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode