Thoughts on the PIA (The new JEM)? - Page 18 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

460Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #256 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 12:49 PM

Re: Thoughts on the PIA (The new JEM)?

for a really great look:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #257 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 01:04 PM

That's excellent
Really nice guitar!

Looks like the whole neck is slightly scalloped - at least the last four frets are.
Inlay looks absolutely great!
post #258 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 02:41 PM

Reviews: 21

That looks a LOT better in that video.
FireEagle and froctavio like this.
post #259 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 04:43 PM

Oh yes, that looks way better. Still not a fan of the holes and not interested, but that Dimarzio strap looks like something I might really need.
post #260 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 05:17 PM

Nice Universe
BigBazz and froctavio like this.
post #261 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 05:45 PM

I do believe he plugged into one of the many Soldanos in that room. Kept waiting for him to play....wanted to hear Vai with a Soldano again. I'm a Jem/Soldano player....I have two 7VWH's, two 77VBK's, two 77BRMR's, and one 7VSBL. (* had to stick with the 7 theme ) all with evolutions in the bridge (pulled the breeds on the 77's) and wow,,,,,those evolutions just weep through a Soldano! Soldano is supposed to have new offerings at NAMM, too, now made by B A D. Well, for me, all of my Soldanos (SLO, Hot Rod 25, Astroverb 16) were made in Seattle and my Jems in Japan...and that's where I'll remain.

Last edited by JemSLO; 01-15-2020 at 05:53 PM.
post #262 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 06:31 PM

The leaf/tear drop cut out looks better in person but the gold pickup covers are still a no-go for me. If the PIA's came stock with the slightly scalloped fingerboard and Sustainer I'd be much more interested in buying one, without those, I'd rather just buy a used JEM.

Also, that UV above doesn't have a middle pickup. I wonder if it's something he painted?
post #263 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Interesting to see that before the guitar is launched, itís already been modified! I really feel that we should have had the Sustainer on this guitar if that is what Vai uses all the time now. Itís on the JS models so...
This is what I don't get, the JS2480 costs less than a MIJ 7V (by about £130) so they can obviously put it on there in the price bracket. Steve has got his brand new PIA sig model and it's already different to the production version, people have been asking for a sustainer for years and Steve has always used them. Given the price hike on the PIA though it would have been even more unreasonable with a sustainer system.
Surveyor 777 and OCDemon like this.
post #264 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 09:50 PM

I think itís mainly the pickup covers hurting the looks for me, I think itís just way too much. But at least itís easily changeable. Iím not sure how Iíll like the colored vine on the limited models but Iíll have to see when vids and pics come out. I kind of like the classy look of the Jem vine more but Iím sure the new one will grow on me. I do wish heíd do a sustainer model at some point since heís always using them and I canít bring myself to cut into one.
post #265 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 01:21 AM

froctavio likes this.
post #266 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 02:16 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I still don’t like the new body shape, the leaf/petal thing just looks odd and the large radius on the body edge makes it look like a 90s EX series!!!
Ethn Hayabusa likes this.
post #267 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I'm sorry but you are nothing but wrong. Taste is up to the individual, if anything can be argued it's taste. What you like somebody else might hate, what you think is good taste somebody else thinks you're off your rocker. You can dislike anything all you want, just don't pretend that your taste is the be all end all of mankind.
Sorry Rich I think you'll find your wrong, these guitars do look hideous. I'd be suppressed if there in the 2021 catalogue but we'll see I guess.
post #268 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 03:44 AM

In general, could magnetic cavity covers potentially cause problems with a guitar's electronics/pickups/etc.? If not, I hope it catches on...
Formerly Given To Fly is online  
post #269 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 04:00 AM

Replace the knobs with the 7V knobs and the pickups with a set of Evo's and the PIA will be acceptable, then it's a 7V with stainless steel frets and an unfortunate accident where the Monkey Grip used to be. The pickups up close in detail look even worse than I expected, especially the middle single. I like the coloured vines on the colour models, shame the guitar only exists as a white model for the general buyer. It wouldn't cost much for me to turn the PIA into something that looks less vomit inducing.
post #270 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 04:17 AM

froctavio and Hoseki like this.

Tags
ibanez jem , mij , pia , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode