Thoughts on the PIA (The new JEM)? - Page 19 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

430Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #271 of 519 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 04:22 AM

Re: Thoughts on the PIA (The new JEM)?

Relieved to hear him say "We've had great success with the JEM and have no plans to discontinue it". Surprised there was no mention of the model number, maybe it's just regular Ibanez numbers?
Ethn Hayabusa likes this.
Leviathus is online  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 519 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 05:23 AM

Ibanez USA updated:
https://www.ibanez.com/usa/products/...761_00_01.html
post #273 of 519 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
In general, could magnetic cavity covers potentially cause problems with a guitar's electronics/pickups/etc.? If not, I hope it catches on...
Dingwall has been using magnetic back covers on their basses for years without any problems and I've been hoping they would catch on too.
post #274 of 519 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 06:21 AM

Youtube comments to the announcement video are generally very positive at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathus View Post
Relieved to hear him say "We've had great success with the JEM and have no plans to discontinue it". Surprised there was no mention of the model number, maybe it's just regular Ibanez numbers?
We knew the Jem was continuing though as it's in the 2020 catalogue, it's the Prestige line of Jems that has been discontinued (at least for this year). Steve doesn't play the production models (he plays the ones made for him at the prototype shop in the USA) so I don't think he differentiates between Premium/Prestige, when he's talking about the production guitars it seems a Jem is a Jem as far as he's concerned.
post #275 of 519 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 06:28 AM

Notice the neck radius is now the same as the Indi Jems. 400mm radius. I still think it's the same guitar with a different look.... the Jem got new clothes... and became the PIA...
post #276 of 519 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 07:15 AM

Reviews: 12
Cool Re: Thoughts on the PIA (The new JEM)?

Okay...It still isn't my cup of tea, but not as horrid as those leaked FB pics.

I'm sure if the price comes down, I'd consider buying one, at some point...I'm just weak I guess...

However, the one thing that is TRUE, that dude from AMS didn't do anything to make the PIA look or sound better...Sounded like a Peavey Raptor through a Pignose for Gods sake! What was AMS thinking?
post #277 of 519 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 08:29 AM
Contributor

I don't think it's that bad really. I've been looking at the JEM for a long time so it's different, yes, but I think it looks much better in videos than the catalog shots. I don't know. I'm not a JEM guy, but I don't think it's so bad @Rich
post #278 of 519 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 08:29 AM

Watching the Vai video I saw another reason that I wouldn't want one, and that is the volume having been moved from what was already the perfect location, to a where I could no longer reach it properly for volume swells.

My personal present view on pros and cons would be...

Pro:
Radiused edges
Improved all access neck joint and back edge of lower cutaway
Switchable capacitor on volume control
Original Edge
All of the colors, especially the green!
Neck inlays on white and pink (and maybe green for some)
Aesthetic of the new cutouts
Graphite arm included
Arm contour on lower bout
Magnetic back cover
New pickups
Pickup covers (green guitar only)

Con:
New volume location
Mimicking of cutouts on spring cover (too much)
Pearl knobs
No Sustainer
Pickup covers (on white, pink and yellow)
Neck inlay color choice on green and yellow guitars (too much/wrong color combo)

Aside from that, if you go to 3:32 of the video you'll see that he's holding the guitar with three fingers in the upper cutout and I'm sure many will still find this to be a contentious issue with some not liking it and others finding it to be a pretty comfortable to pick up the guitar.
post #279 of 519 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 11:55 AM

I just saw the Ibanez video on the Steve Vai Pia. Tried to have an open mind about this new design, but having a hard time with the pedals/ying yang cut-outs. Maybe if I give it time, I'll start to like it. But, as of now, NOT DIGGIN' IT! Also, I don't care for the fancy pickup covers. I didn't care for them on the JEM 77WDPCNL "Woody" either. I guess I just feel the Ibanez JEM is a timeless classic. Perfect design of a versatile guitar and doesn't need any changes or so-called evolution in design. I think I'll just see the "Pia" as another separate Steve Vai model that is similar to the JEM. Love my 30th Anniversary JEM777LG and gigging with it is a joy. I take along a Gibson Les Paul Standard T and a EVH Wolfgang USA to accommodate various classic rock songs, but the JEM is the one I play most during a gig and I wouldn't trade it for anything. And, if I had to take one guitar to a gig, it would be my Loch Ness Green JEM777.
Surveyor 777 and ThePedroDB like this.
post #280 of 519 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 12:37 PM

The white, green and yellow colors actually look really nice. It's s shame Ibanez doesn't do more gloss pearl colors in general. The RGD-style cutaway on the back is also a nice move. Also don't understand why that hasn't been adopted more widely?

The stupid cover on the back is completely a solution in search of a problem. Basically it's there to give space for the ugly cutouts. The slotted cover solved this problem years ago.

Also the push/pull volume knob HPF thing makes zero sense. Jems have always had the HPF as part of the circuit and RG's did not. If having it has been such a good thing, why isn't the default (down) position of the volume knob to have the HPF engaged? Are we now saying that old RG's had it right all along?

End of the day those, I'm never getting past the water drop cutouts, ugly pickups and EX body.

post #281 of 519 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 01:38 PM

I've never owned a Jem, but only due to being monetarily challenged... always wanted one, thought they looked cool and sounded great. At first glance at the leaked photos I thought like most everyone that the Pia was hideous and just a bad copy of a Jem-type guitar.

I have to say though, after looking at them for a bit now... the design is starting to grow on me. I like the monkey grip too, but it is a little "rough"? Maybe that's not the right word, but the lines of the new Pia model actually look pretty good from an artistic viewpoint. Like comparing a vintage 60's BSA motorcycle with a vintage 60's Triumph, both great bikes and both bad @ss, but the "lines" of the Triumph just make it better looking. Not really saying the Pia is better looking than the Jem, but the lines are not as agrarian maybe? I dunno... Maybe it has it's place in the Ibanez lineup after all, and I like it more now knowing that it isn't replacing the Jem. Has some nice features, but the pickup covers are not one of them... in my eyes anyway.
lordhar and Hoseki like this.
post #282 of 519 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 05:02 PM

Reviews: 12
Cool Re: Thoughts on the PIA (The new JEM)?

I just watched the "Introducing Pia" clip...

And I can't believe I'm saying this, but the damn thing is growing on me...I hate that I'm saying this, because everything in me wants to hate it...

Steve has a mental hold on me or something, because I now kind of like all the colors!
post #283 of 519 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 05:18 PM

Whereas I just watched the video and damn, I am not into that at all! For me the Jem has always represented the perfect shape, and be it the petal grip or the smoother contours or the pickup covers it ain't for me. And with the highlights in the colours it looks all the worse to my eyes.

I guess initially I feel the same way about the Pia as I do about Steve's music these days - I absolutely respect and will totally support whatever it is that he finds creatively satisfying, it's just that it's not to my tastes and I don't really want any part of it

jono, chris101 and Surveyor 777 like this.
post #284 of 519 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
I absolutely respect and will totally support whatever it is that he finds creatively satisfying, it's just that it's not to my tastes and I don't really want any part of it
Couldn't agree more, Steve might be captivated by it, but in my eyes this PIA is just hideous, almost nasty, a mess. Maybe he's having a laugh, endorse something god awful and see how many people buy it just because of his association... lets face it, if this was being sold by some knock off shop on Alibaba we'd all be taking the p*ss big time. Guess I'll drown my sorrows with an RG550 Genesis instead....
Surveyor 777 likes this.
post #285 of 519 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 06:55 PM

Reviews: 120

I'm kinda digging this now that I've seen it 'properly'. There's a lot of great innovations on the body, and SS frets are always welcome. I find the tree of life type inlays too much in general, but otherwise this is a great guitar. Petal cutout I'm neither here nor there, but it works.
DEADTUNES666 likes this.

Tags
ibanez jem , mij , pia , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode