Thoughts on the PIA (The new JEM)? - Page 2 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

524Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 627 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 10:13 AM

I'd like to see one in person. But first thoughts is that they give off quite a Chibanez vibe.

The new grip doesn't seem to make any ergonomic sense.

If I had the cash to buy new I'd be looking at the Timmons ATZ Fujigen model over these.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 627 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 10:17 AM

Re: Thoughts on the PIA (The new JEM)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Steve was going to kill the complete line and replace them all. Japan talked him into leaving the JEM's as Premium production and the PIA as Japanese.
I don't know what to say, the Jem is one of the longest running iconic signature models... You can't just up and change something like that and expect people to be on board.

Of course I don't knock him for trying, but the result doesn't make sense to me. Do people really want tacky over the top gold hardware everywhere? The monkey grip had a function, while these flower based holes don't seem to. And the pricing, the only thing that differentiates this from an old 7V on paper are the SS frets yet if I'm seeing this correctly the PIA is selling at quite a big price jump from the 7V? I'm not going to buy one anyway, he's turned the tacky up to 11.

I just hope he does a 180 and the Jem returns, or at the very least they make some better colour choices for 2021, minus the gold hardware.
19W likes this.
post #18 of 627 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 10:46 AM
Vendor

The Pearl [it's not white] is it. The colors are rarer than the 30ths were. I would assume there will be something different for 21 but at this point I don't think we can really assume anything.
post #19 of 627 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibaraki_gaijin View Post
I'd like to see one in person. But first thoughts is that they give off quite a Chibanez vibe.
This was my reaction at first glance as well...

Though I will admit I do like the Envy Green one. But of course the color I like is a limited edition one.
jim777, GearBoxTy and Hoseki like this.
post #20 of 627 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 11:47 AM

Reviews: 21
Sweet Christmas! I thought this was a prank. The teardrop grips ruin it. The colors are kind of Chibanez but maybe seeing better photos or one in person would be different.
post #21 of 627 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 11:53 AM

the important question is am i gonna have to go to piasite.com now?
jim777, mike570 and GearBoxTy like this.
post #22 of 627 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 01:38 PM

Reviews: 21

Every time Steve does stuff like this I can't help but think of the Zappa song "Shall We Take Ourselves Seriously?"
GearBoxTy likes this.
post #23 of 627 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 02:29 PM

It's funny how so many are opposed to the change in the holes based on....practicality??? The only time I've ever held my guitar by the monkey grip has been simply because it was there. Never to play it, or carry it, and the new holes are much like the old one, or fake f-holes on solid body guitars, nothing more than embellishments. And besides, how many fingers do you need to hold up an 8 pound guitar?

I still think he's trying to target the girl-guitar market with these and for the rest of us, there's plenty of older/cooler JEM's out there on the used market.

post #24 of 627 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 02:50 PM

These may not be genuine pictures after all. When the source is something like Facebook, I tend to be skeptical.

And even these were genuine models, who's to say that these will be the ONLY Vai models to be announced in NAMM?
There may be more...
Hoseki likes this.
post #25 of 627 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 02:57 PM

And what makes me even more skeptical, is that there seems to be TWO so called catalogs, one which says "Limited Model" and one which don't. Also the text "New Model" is missing from the other catalog.

See the difference:

Also in Dimarzio's website, there's absolutely no mention about any UtoPIA pickups...
post #26 of 627 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 03:00 PM

Reviews: 1

I think they're cool but would have been more cool without the holes.
post #27 of 627 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 03:20 PM

They need to add an eggplant hole to the left of those water drops.
GearBoxTy likes this.
post #28 of 627 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marviner View Post
These may not be genuine pictures after all. When the source is something like Facebook, I tend to be skeptical.

And even these were genuine models, who's to say that these will be the ONLY Vai models to be announced in NAMM?
There may be more...
Rich and other insiders have already confirmed, the only reason we are seeing this is due to insiders confirming. This is definitely what we're getting, if it were not the case we'd know about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
It's funny how so many are opposed to the change in the holes based on....practicality??? The only time I've ever held my guitar by the monkey grip has been simply because it was there. Never to play it, or carry it, and the new holes are much like the old one, or fake f-holes on solid body guitars, nothing more than embellishments. And besides, how many fingers do you need to hold up an 8 pound guitar?

I still think he's trying to target the girl-guitar market with these and for the rest of us, there's plenty of older/cooler JEM's out there on the used market.
I don't think there really exists a girl market for really high end guitars, the female guitarist market is already tiny compared to the male market and the female market for pointy Floyd Rose equipped 3000-4000 Super Strats is smaller still. And yeah the only reason I kinda like the monkey grip is because it does have a function, it's not there purely for aesthetics, otherwise I'd rather have the missing wood that was cut out to make the shape. Really the teardrops are not the make or break point, it's the retiring the Jem (which I think looks better) combined with the chibanez styling choices.

Did the fakers have the right idea all along? Just add more tacky gold. It barely works on the 7V due to the contrast with the white on the pickups/knobs etc.
post #29 of 627 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBazz View Post
Rich and other insiders have already confirmed, the only reason we are seeing this is due to insiders confirming. This is definitely what we're getting, if it were not the case we'd know about it.

You could be right. No offence - but I believe it, when it's officially announced by Ibanez. That's not your fault, just my personal philosophy

Last edited by marviner; 01-05-2020 at 05:09 PM.
post #30 of 627 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marviner View Post
You could be right. No offence - but I believe it, when it's officially announced by Ibanez. That's not your fault, just my personal philosophy
What reason would Ibanez dealers and industry insiders have to collectively attempt to fake a catalogue picture? The chances of this being fake are zero, the reason we're seeing them is because dealers have access to the updated completed catalogue beforehand and somebody leaked it, after it was leaked many insiders came out to confirm the validity of it. You can believe what you want but there is nothing to suggest it's not real, the cat is out of the bag and this is the new Ibanez Vai model, like it or not.

You're sceptical because there are two catalogues, but on the Ibanez website it states specifically that the catalogue being shown is incomplete and will be updated on the 16th. Dealers have the complete catalogue, the same reason we knew about the 30th Anniversary Jems before they were officially announced, somebody in the know leaks the information and the first place it ends up is here on Jemsite.
Hoseki likes this.

Tags
ibanez jem , mij , pia , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode