Thoughts on the PIA (The new JEM)? - Page 21 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

460Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #301 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 02:02 PM

Re: Thoughts on the PIA (The new JEM)?

Yeah, I noticed that on a video interview of Steve Vai's worst gig which is in Albuquerque...my home town. The "Pia" model he has hanging on his shoulder has a fully scalloped fretboard. He really seems to be into fully scalloped fretboards big time. Probably since gigging with Malmsteen on the G3 and Generation Axe tours.
Hoseki likes this.
Designrol is online  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 02:07 PM

If i am not mistaken (i've never owned a jem so i might be wrong) i think the jem always had the high pass filter, it just didn't have the option to bypass it... in other words, it was always on... where now it's on if you pull up on the pot, just like the js guitars.
post #303 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Designrol View Post
Yeah, I noticed that on a video interview of Steve Vai's worst gig which is in Albuquerque...my home town. The "Pia" model he has hanging on his shoulder has a fully scalloped fretboard. He really seems to be into fully scalloped fretboards big time. Probably since gigging with Malmsteen on the G3 and Generation Axe tours.
In the product launch videos Vai said that only top 4 fret positions scalloped.
post #304 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPeterLynch View Post
Quote:
His point was that the one vai was holding had a fully scalloped board, where the one available to the public doesn't.
Hoseki likes this.
post #305 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
He's talking about Vai's personal PIA that he plays. Vai doesn't play the production guitars from Japan, his guitars are made in the USA by the prototype builders, the white PIA he is using as his own has a fully scalloped neck (though not as extreme as Malmsteen's scalloped necks) and a sustainer in the neck position.
Designrol likes this.
post #306 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Yes, that's is correct. Only the production models are like he said. But, for his own personal guitars he seems to be going full scallop.
Hoseki likes this.
Designrol is online  
post #307 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 04:47 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBazz View Post
Youtube comments to the announcement video are generally very positive at least.

We knew the Jem was continuing though as it's in the 2020 catalogue, it's the Prestige line of Jems that has been discontinued (at least for this year). Steve doesn't play the production models (he plays the ones made for him at the prototype shop in the USA) so I don't think he differentiates between Premium/Prestige, when he's talking about the production guitars it seems a Jem is a Jem as far as he's concerned.
I don't think any of Steve's Premiums are actually Indo but to say all his guitars are US is just full of it. Most of what he plays is Fujigen standard production. Modified with sustainers and mad hatter and anything else he wants, but the guitars are built in Japan. In fact if anybody would like to make a bet I'd bet the PIA's Steve has is all those video's are all Fujigen, and his. If it's a one off built for a specific purpose it could be LA, or part LA. Whoever can get the job done in the timeframe needed. And BTW the "prototype shop" is in Nagoya.

And for the umpteeth time, Steve uses a Fernandez, and according to Ibanez there will never be a deal with Ibanez to put their sustainers in anything. So unless Steve switches to Sustainiac's, which he won't, that is the reason you don't have a sustainer in whatever model he puts out for sale.
OCDemon and eddyrox like this.
post #308 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I don't think any of Steve's Premiums are actually Indo but to say all his guitars are US is just full of it. Most of what he plays is Fujigen standard production. Modified with sustainers and mad hatter and anything else he wants, but the guitars are built in Japan. In fact if anybody would like to make a bet I'd bet the PIA's Steve has is all those video's are all Fujigen, and his. If it's a one off built for a specific purpose it could be LA, or part LA. Whoever can get the job done in the timeframe needed. And BTW the "prototype shop" is in Nagoya.
I've literally seen the prototype shop in the US in videos discussing building and designing the guitars for endorsees in the US, and I've seen the guy who built/designed steves PIA (in the USA) talking about it. So I guess Ibanez themselves are lying then. I get that you know a lot about the guitars, but 2 and 2 aren't adding up here.

In addition to that, stated right on the Ibanez website in the FAQ section

Quote:
Most non-standard guitars played by our artists are prototypes made by our Research and Design facility in Los Angeles. These prototype guitars can be compared to "concept cars"--they allow Ibanez to figure our what features should be (and shouldn’t be) offered in our regular models.
And what is Steve playing? A completely non-standard PIA with fully scalloped fretboard and a sustainer system. His woody guitar was also built in the USA, while the production ones are made in Indonesia.

Last edited by BigBazz; 01-17-2020 at 05:38 PM.
post #309 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
I like the idea of the Push/Pull Volume knob being a High Pass Filter. I'm surprised it took Steve Vai this long to have them a standard feature on his guitars. Joe Satriani has had them standard on his signature guitars since the first line was released. I also like how the "Pia" repositioned the Volume knob a little lower than the JEM's. The sole reason why I don't own a Strat.
I'm happy to have the option as well, although I'm still happy with my stock JEM. Volume positioning is a personal thing though, and there are many like you who prefer to have it out of the way, and then there's ones like me who don't have a long enough pinky to stay on it and play at the same time.

Looks like the PIA will be good for those wanting the volume further away and I'll have to stick with an old fashioned JEM.
post #310 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsXLine6 View Post
If i am not mistaken (i've never owned a jem so i might be wrong) i think the jem always had the high pass filter, it just didn't have the option to bypass it... in other words, it was always on
Yes, and that's just another reason it's my favorite.
post #311 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Steve uses a Fernandez, and according to Ibanez there will never be a deal with Ibanez to put their sustainers in anything. So unless Steve switches to Sustainiac's, which he won't, that is the reason you don't have a sustainer in whatever model he puts out for sale.
I think I'd read that before (probably from you), but we still wish we could have it, even if we know it's never going to happen.
post #312 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 06:08 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBazz View Post
I've literally seen the prototype shop in the US in videos discussing building and designing the guitars for endorsees in the US, and I've seen the guy who built/designed steves PIA (in the USA) talking about it. So I guess Ibanez themselves are lying then. I get that you know a lot about the guitars, but 2 and 2 aren't adding up here.

In addition to that, stated right on the Ibanez website in the FAQ section

And what is Steve playing? A completely non-standard PIA with fully scalloped fretboard and a sustainer system. His woody guitar was also built in the USA, while the production ones are made in Indonesia.
Show it. I've seen Mike Orrigo holding PIA and talking about it at the LACS, considering he's Steves AR rep that's where the guitars go from Japan before going to the artist, although I'm sure alot of collaboration was done there. I'm sure Steve was there thru alot of the design work. And I already said I doubt any of his Premiums are actually Indo.

I said they were modified, almost everything he has has been modified in some way. I also said I'm willing to bet money all those PIA's all built at Fujigen......

That disclaimer has been on the site for years to keep 100 people a day calling and asking to get something custom built. Yes, they build custom guitars one off in LA, much of it using Japanese parts, and once specs are settled on if something is slated for production, the guitars themselves are built in Japan, or Indo, or wherever production is.
eddyrox likes this.
post #313 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 06:11 PM

Quote:
I don't think any of Steve's Premiums are actually Indo
Most of his premiums are. Any prototype that is LACS won't have the 'premium' label, but rather a normal 'Ibanez' logo and LACS serial. I can think of 3 LACS on top of my head: Woody, One Seafoam and the light blue one that didn't make it to production.
All his other woodys, seafoams, Premium BFP's and 7VP are indo.
post #314 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 06:16 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroenn View Post
Most of his premiums are. Any prototype that is LACS won't have the 'premium' label, but rather a normal 'Ibanez' logo and LACS serial. I can think of 3 LACS on top of my head: Woody, One Seafoam and the light blue one that didn't make it to production.
All his other woodys, seafoams, Premium BFP's and 7VP are indo.
I've only seen him with the ones that are LA, I knew the blue was also. I don't know if I've ever seen shots close enough to show the logo though.
post #315 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Show it. I've seen Mike Orrigo holding PIA and talking about it at the LACS, considering he's Steves AR rep that's where the guitars go from Japan before going to the artist, although I'm sure alot of collaboration was done there. I'm sure Steve was there thru alot of the design work. And I already said I doubt any of his Premiums are actually Indo.

I said they were modified, almost everything he has has been modified in some way. I also said I'm willing to bet money all those PIA's all built at Fujigen......

That disclaimed has been on the site for years to keep 100 people a day calling and asking to get something custom built. Yes, they build custom guitars one off in LA, much of it using Japanese parts, and once specs are settled on if something is slated for production, the guitars themselves are built in Japan, or Indo, or wherever production is.
I don't have time to go digging for that now as I'm out and about, it might have been a video with Martin Miller and Tom Quayle and their guitars, saw it last year. The other video I'm sure is already posted on Jemsite, at least was uploaded in this last week with the US guy in the workshop with the PIA prototypes. Stuff like the scalloped neck, that would have been purpose built to not ruin the vine (or at least better to purpose build with the scallop in mind). And I'm not saying that Japan doesn't play a heavy role in the guitars, I'm saying he's not playing what we're playing.

When we were playing Ebony board 7V's Vai had Rosewood, he's had custom made true temperament fretted necks on his 7V's and his EVO body has a different paint job to the production guitars (it has faded to cream, the production ones from 1993 still look brand new bright white). He made a video years ago about how the body and neck on EVO both resonate to the same pitch. Vai has made videos where he's at that custom shop in the USA talking to the guys, the Woody being one of the best and most in depth recent examples.

Nothing I've seen about Steve's guitars over the years and what he discusses in interviews points to him playing production guitars, and I'm not saying he's not playing stuff made in Japan, but I am saying he's most certainly playing stuff made in that USA shop.

Tags
ibanez jem , mij , pia , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode