Thoughts on the PIA (The new JEM)? - Page 22 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

446Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #316 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 06:30 PM

Re: Thoughts on the PIA (The new JEM)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I've only seen him with the ones that are LA, I knew the blue was also. I don't know if I've ever seen shots close enough to show the logo though.
We keep https://www.vai.com/guitars/ quite good up2 date. If you check out Blue Powder for example, (SV222) which is the light blue one I mentioned, you see the chrome logo. Just like a 7vwh logo, but chrome rather than gold. We have shots of the serials etc, and the back of the headstock will have the LACS serial / logo. Same principle goes for the indo's, there are quite a few there. They have indo serials. Some may be labled as sample, in which case they were pre-production samples, coming from the actual production line for approval. Some may be modified by LACS afterwards, to have a sustainer and some other mods done.
califj likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #317 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 07:25 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBazz View Post
I don't have time to go digging for that now as I'm out and about, it might have been a video with Martin Miller and Tom Quayle and their guitars, saw it last year. The other video I'm sure is already posted on Jemsite, at least was uploaded in this last week with the US guy in the workshop with the PIA prototypes. Stuff like the scalloped neck, that would have been purpose built to not ruin the vine (or at least better to purpose build with the scallop in mind). And I'm not saying that Japan doesn't play a heavy role in the guitars, I'm saying he's not playing what we're playing.

When we were playing Ebony board 7V's Vai had Rosewood, he's had custom made true temperament fretted necks on his 7V's and his EVO body has a different paint job to the production guitars (it has faded to cream, the production ones from 1993 still look brand new bright white). He made a video years ago about how the body and neck on EVO both resonate to the same pitch. Vai has made videos where he's at that custom shop in the USA talking to the guys, the Woody being one of the best and most in depth recent examples.

Nothing I've seen about Steve's guitars over the years and what he discusses in interviews points to him playing production guitars, and I'm not saying he's not playing stuff made in Japan, but I am saying he's most certainly playing stuff made in that USA shop.
i tell you to show it, you don't have time, or it might have been something else, or whatever.

Those rosewood board necks were Fujigen. I could care less if they're the spec we can buy, that wasn't the point I made.......
post #318 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 07:41 PM

Quote:

Those rosewood board necks were Fujigen. I could care less if they're the spec we can buy, that wasn't the point I made.......
I would argue that most of that stuff that was modified for Steve wouldn't even pass your quality control anyway. Like those rosewood necks which were so thin, they'd warp if you looked at their general direction. The dropout rate to produce them for general production would be crazy.
post #319 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Well the point I made was that he wasn't playing the production models, not that he "doesn't play japanese stuff"? And that he plays stuff from the USA shop. Nothing about EVO is a production guitar, nothing about true temperament or "from the factory" scalloped necks is production. Sure he's playing production hardware, it's top quality stuff but the bodies and necks are built specifically for him and many of them from that US custom shop in LA. Maybe the body of his PIA was from Japan, and Japan supplied all the hardware and shipped it over to LA for them to fit it with the scalloped neck and sustainer.

The first video of Vai with the PIA on youtube was the one of him recently discussing his Zappa tour in 1980, where he's sitting there with a fully scalloped neck sustainer equipped PIA... The first footage of the man with his new guitar and it's already different to the production models. I'm just saying, like I said in that post you quoted "he's not playing production stuff".. He's not playing the guitars hanging on the walls in music stores, he's playing the cream of the crop, hand picked necks, custom made stuff.
jono and Hoseki like this.
BigBazz is online  
post #320 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 08:50 PM
Vendor

EVO was a full Fujigen production guitar, modified after the fact as many times as a main player of near 20 years will be. Supposedly the story goes picked out of the first batch of 5 production VWH's he was sent. Point again, the guitar is production, it's just been modified to suit particular needs afterwards. So saying everything he plays is US, again, full of it.

As I already said, I'd bet money all those PIA's are Fujigen, post modified how he wants them.

Hand picked necks, that I wouldn't even pass inspection, half the stuff from LACS I wouldn't pass.

I could care less if his has a sustainer and we can't buy it, those are the market forces and Fernandez won't play with Ibanez's ball. So he had some scalloping done? Should I be shocked? They still did the last 4 in Fujigen when they built it.
Ammusa and eddyrox like this.
post #321 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 08:56 PM

Quote:
EVO was a full Fujigen production guitar
Can you explain the different paint on EVO compared to FLO or production models? EVO is cream, others are White and don't yellow over time. And I didn't say he only plays USA stuff, I said he plays USA stuff and that he's not playing production models like I am. I'm also still unconvinced that his PIA is not made in the USA, given what I've seen regarding the footage and the fact that it was designed in the USA shop (like most artist prototype stuff according to Ibanez themselves).

If you take a production neck and you scallop it you're going to damage the inlay, the inlay on his guitar is flawless. I think that guitar was made from the ground up with the intention of scalloping it for Steve.
BigBazz is online  
post #322 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Well the point I made was that he wasn't playing the production models, not that he "doesn't play japanese stuff"? And that he plays stuff from the USA shop. Nothing about EVO is a production guitar, nothing about true temperament or "from the factory" scalloped necks is production. Sure he's playing production hardware, it's top quality stuff but the bodies and necks are built specifically for him and many of them from that US custom shop in LA. Maybe the body of his PIA was from Japan, and Japan supplied all the hardware and shipped it over to LA for them to fit it with the scalloped neck and sustainer.

The first video of Vai with the PIA on youtube was the one of him recently discussing his Zappa tour in 1980, where he's sitting there with a fully scalloped neck sustainer equipped PIA... The first footage of the man with his new guitar and it's already different to the production models. I'm just saying, like I said in that post you quoted "he's not playing production stuff".. He's not playing the guitars hanging on the walls in music stores, he's playing the cream of the crop, hand picked necks, custom made stuff.
The thing that gets me though is that Steveís guitars are heavily modified before the guitars are even in the stores. I know Fernandez and Ibanez canít get a deal together but at the end of the day, the guitar Ibanez makes is not the guitar Steve wants to play. Heís not happy with his own signature model and itís literally brand new. Itís just not a good situation.

Also is Steve actually playing the UtoPIA neck pickup at all? Or is that just to fill the neck rout until we swap out neck pickups out ?

I do love the colours though.
Hoseki likes this.
post #323 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Or is that just to fill the neck rout until we swap out neck pickups out ?
His pink one seems to lack the sustainer, his green and white ones have a sustainer, the white one also has a fully scalloped neck.
jono likes this.
BigBazz is online  
post #324 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
His pink one seems to lack the sustainer, his green and white ones have a sustainer, the white one also has a fully scalloped neck.
Ah ok, Iíve been travelling for work this week and only seem stuff on my phone really and hadnít spotted all the details in the videos floating around.
post #325 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 11:20 PM
Vendor

Quote:
He's talking about Vai's personal PIA that he plays. Vai doesn't play the production guitars from Japan, his guitars are made in the USA by the prototype builders, the white PIA he is using as his own has a fully scalloped neck (though not as extreme as Malmsteen's scalloped necks) and a sustainer in the neck position.
Sorry but that is exactly what you said.

FLO is a Floral turned into a VWH painted in the US. EVO is an early VWH, never seen one of those turn antique white?
post #326 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Sorry but that is exactly what you said.

FLO is a Floral turned into a VWH painted in the US. EVO is an early VWH, never seen one of those turn antique white?
Yes I said he doesn't play the Japanese "Production" guitars, as in the ones we play. Also that's not the post you quoted, but it doesn't matter because the point I'm making doesn't change just because you interpreted my post differently. I tried to clarify it in the further posts but now you're trying to get me to own your version of what you thought I was saying? Lets just be clear I'm saying he doesn't play the Japanese production guitars hanging on the shop walls, and that he plays USA models (specifically in this new post you quoted is related to his US made PIA, which I'm fairly convinced the white one is, by all means prove me otherwise if you have evidence that suggests the contrary).

And nope I've seen many first year Jems (including my own which has done thousands of gigs in its 26 year life span) and none of them have ever changed colour like that.

Heres mine today for reference, 26 year old guitar next to a 2-3 year old guitar and a 6 month old guitar. The paint on the 7V doesn't fade and EVO has different paint on it to the production guitars.

Last edited by BigBazz; 01-18-2020 at 12:07 AM.
BigBazz is online  
post #327 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 12:06 AM
Vendor

Yes, it's exactly the quote I quoted, Steve doesn't play the production models (he plays the ones made for him at the prototype shop in the USA).

Glad yours hasn't yellowed, I've seen plenty that have.
post #328 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Yes, it's exactly the quote I quoted, Steve doesn't play the production models (he plays the ones made for him at the prototype shop in the USA).

Glad yours hasn't yellowed, I've seen plenty that have.
I've never seen one that yellowed other than EVO, not in real life nor in pictures. I was sure I read somewhere a long time ago that the paint was specifically developed to not fade/age over time, which isn't hard to do, my 90s Strat has had a similar life and the paint is also looking brand new. I see no reason to not suspect the more likely scenario that EVO was made as a prototype body before they changed the paint and I'm even sure I heard that (or something along those lines) somewhere during the promo for the EVO anniversary model, it makes more sense than it randomly completely changing colour.

And I made two posts regarding Steve's USA models, you initially quoted the other post, then in that post you quoted a later one. Two different posts made on separate topics, both referencing Steve's USA made stuff, which like I said in all my posts is in relation to his current non-standard white PIA. And regarding non-production stuff the non-standard (True Temperament, Scalloped) necks on his Jem models that he's used live over the years, which again I believe to be from the USA shop, and the Rosewood boards during the Ebony era which I have no idea about where they came from other than the fact that they obviously weren't production necks because Jems didn't ship with Rosewood during that time.

Last edited by BigBazz; 01-18-2020 at 12:20 AM.
BigBazz is online  
post #329 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 12:45 AM
Vendor

I'd continue but I simply don't care.

Production means produced. If a rosewood board VWH neck was made in Fujigen it's Japanese production, it doesn't make any difference what the public spec on the guitar is. So when you say he only plays USA guitars, sorry, you're just wrong, very, very wrong. Most of what he plays is Japanese production, no matter what the spec is built to.
eddyrox likes this.
post #330 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 01:05 AM

Quote:
I'd continue but I simply don't care.

Production means produced. If a rosewood board VWH neck was made in Fujigen it's Japanese production, it doesn't make any difference what the public spec on the guitar is. So when you say he only plays USA guitars, sorry, you're just wrong, very, very wrong. Most of what he plays is Japanese production, no matter what the spec is built to.
You're changing the meaning of what I said to suite yourself, just semantics. If it's not being sold to the general consumer it's not a production model. Many companies "produce" items, but unless the item is "in production" as in being sold to the general consumer, it's not a production model..Those Rosewood necks were not production models, they were custom made in a small quantity specifically for Steve. This is my understanding and use of the term (and a very common use of the term at that) I've even clarified that to you several times but you don't want to hear it?

And not once did I say he "only" plays USA guitars, I said he "doesn't play" the Japanese "production" stuff. What the hell is the point in this conversation if you get to decide what my side of the argument is?
BigBazz is online  

Tags
ibanez jem , mij , pia , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode