Thoughts on the PIA (The new JEM)? - Page 24 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

449Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #346 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 04:23 PM

Re: Thoughts on the PIA (The new JEM)?

I love Steve's interviews more than anyone else's, because he DOESN'T talk about technique, and only a little about gear. His perspective on the whole thing is far more organic and introspective than those things.... he talks about the "WHY", not the "HOW", of creative expression (and life!)
marviner likes this.
ruger9 is online  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #347 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 05:21 PM

Very true.

I especially love when he talks about the most important thing. And the most important thing is how you feel. Because everything is filtered, twisted and colored thru that.

For example; if you feel that everyone is mean and stupid, it makes you to see the world that way. The world is mean and stupid if you think so, and it becomes your reality.

On the other hand, if you think that everyone is kind and beautiful, it makes you to see the world that way. So then that becomes your reality.

Basically, what he is saying, it's all in our heads. All in our heads how we perceive the world.
And that's why the most important thing is how one feels. And recognizing, that feelings and thoughts may filter and twist the view of the outside world
ruger9 likes this.

Last edited by marviner; 01-18-2020 at 05:34 PM.
post #348 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 06:27 PM

A bit of humor at this point

Ismo (from Finland) proves that the Chorus of all the songs in the world, goes like C. D, G and Em

It's in Finnish, but I guess you get the point

Last edited by marviner; 01-18-2020 at 06:44 PM.
post #349 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 06:36 PM

Just a side note about Ismo (his full name is Ismo Leikola); he's from Finland, but nowadays lives in Los Angeles. He's a pretty funny guy This one is in English.

Last edited by marviner; 01-18-2020 at 06:45 PM.
post #350 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 07:47 PM

For some reason that so reminds me of Rowan Atkinsons' Indian Waiter skit..
marviner likes this.
post #351 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroenn View Post
For some reason that so reminds me of Rowan Atkinsons' Indian Waiter skit..

Right you are
post #352 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Humour is good but let’s at least to try to stay vaguely on topic in this thread
post #353 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroenn View Post
Yes, he absolutely does.
J
Lets say his new White PIA neck isn't one of his prototypes from the USA and is from Fujigen, it's still a custom neck that I can't purchase as a customer. If you're Steve Vai you can get a neck specifically made rather than butchering a production neck if you want a scallop or true temperament frets, (where converting an old neck would result in more work). That's the point I'm making, sure he has some Indo/Japanese production guitars in his collection, he has plenty of non Ibanez in his collection too, but he's not playing those guitars so it's kinda irrelevant, he's playing Flo, EVO and presumably in future his new PIA models (I suspect the white/green ones).

We can't buy what Steve plays, Steve gets necks with tweaked proportions, wavey frets, scallops, non-standard fretboard wood. His Woody guitar was made in the USA with a real Edge bridge, the customer guitar came with an Edge Zero II and was made in Indonesia, you can't even swap it out for an Edge without doing work on the guitar. So sure Steve is playing stuff made in Japan and some of it may come off the same production line as what we can buy, but we can't buy what he has.

It is what it is, I didn't expect the topic to get so vivid.
post #354 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 10:35 PM
Vendor

There isn't a single thing about the PIA Steve will be playing that anybody in the world can't have done to their own. Can you buy it from Ibanez that way? No. Who said LA did the scallops? Who said they installed the sustainer? I have no idea where he gets each of these done but he's in LA which is abundant with techs to do whatever he desires and Thomas is no slouch at anything related to everything Steve owns. Mad Hatter did the electronics mods, not LA. TT did the TT, not LA. The whole point is, you can buy Steve's exact guitar, and then modify it exactly the way Steve has and play exactly what he plays, if that is what you want.

Or we can all just keep complaining. Something tells me it'll be the latter, but you never know.
eddyrox likes this.
post #355 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
There isn't a single thing about the PIA Steve will be playing that anybody in the world can't have done to their own. Can you buy it from Ibanez that way? No. Who said LA did the scallops? Who said they installed the sustainer? I have no idea where he gets each of these done but he's in LA which is abundant with techs to do whatever he desires and Thomas is no slouch at anything related to everything Steve owns. Mad Hatter did the electronics mods, not LA. TT did the TT, not LA. The whole point is, you can buy Steve's exact guitar, and then modify it exactly the way Steve has and play exactly what he plays, if that is what you want.

Or we can all just keep complaining. Something tells me it'll be the latter, but you never know.
If I was buying a PIA and I've decided I'm not. It'd be a green one and I'd replace all the hardware with Cosmo Black, in the process I'd put in a Lo-Pro instead of an Edge and I'd replace the gold pickups with something less gold. But having the sustainer put in requires butchering the guitar, all the other stuff can be swapped in and out with ease but with a sustainer you're taking the decision to reduce the resale value of the guitar. Same goes with the scalloped board, I'm actually not interested in that, but scalloping the neck would not only reduce the value of the guitar but there's a good chance you damage the vine inlays in a way that's very difficult/time consuming to sort out, easier to buy a purpose built neck on that point.

It's like if money is no object yeah you can do these things without a second thought, but getting your local luthier to do these jobs is gonna cost you a lot more than had they been put in from the factory, and on top of that you're gutting the value of the guitar in the process, so for the average owner it's a really, really expensive endeavour that isn't worthwhile.... A lot cheaper to make a custom copy (or get one built). Especially on the sustainer point, it would be so nice if something was sorted out so they came from Fujigen with a sustainer fitted.

Someone needs to poke Ibanez or Dimarzio (or anyone?) to work on an alternative sustainer.
post #356 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 11:00 PM
Vendor

Anybody that modifies a guitar to suit their needs based on if it's going to kill the resale value has their priorities upside down. You modify a guitar because that's the way you want or need it.

The sustainer is not going to happen except aftermarket, why continue to bring it up over and over again? One company won't play ball, but anybody can have it done themselves. There is no butchering involved unless you decide to do the work yourself with a screwdriver. Anybody competent enough to be a first class tech can do the job with absolutely professional results.

If you think having Ibanez have Fujigen scallop a neck is going to cost less than your local luthier would charge, I'd say the difference would be negligible.

What's funny, and absolutely nothing personal intended, is that you would immediately modify a green one into something completely your own, but continue to argue you can't buy exactly what he plays off the rack.
VolatileGentleman likes this.
post #357 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 11:02 PM
Vendor

Larry has been working on a sustainer, or the grapevine says. That does not mean Steve will like it or adopt it, the sustainiac is there but he won't use it. So poke all you want, Steve likes his Fernandez, Larry would have to work a miracle to get something Steve would approve, but Larry can work miracles.
post #358 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Anybody that modifies a guitar to suit their needs based on if it's going to kill the resale value has their priorities upside down. You modify a guitar because that's the way you want or need it.

The sustainer is not going to happen except aftermarket, why continue to bring it up over and over again? One company won't play ball, but anybody can have it done themselves. There is no butchering involved unless you decide to do the work yourself with a screwdriver. Anybody competent enough to be a first class tech can do the job with absolutely professional results.

If you think having Ibanez have Fujigen scallop a neck is going to cost less than your local luthier would charge, I'd say the difference would be negligible.

What's funny, and absolutely nothing personal intended, is that you would immediately modify a green one into something completely your own, but continue to argue you can't buy exactly what he plays off the rack.
The issue is I find the PIA hideous (which is why I'm not buying one), though if it was less gold I might like it so I'd be happy to modify it in a way that can be easily switched back if needed. I'd think that with Steve having the opportunity to come up with his own guitar he would get it right, I mean it's his guitar to start with. If I was coming up with a custom guitar I'd have the specs I wanted from the start so it wouldn't need to be modified, like with my Suhr. Steve has come up with a guitar especially for him and then he's immediately changed it (at least his Pink one seems to be standard?)

The priorities depend on many factors, if you're buying a £3500 guitar and then later you need to sell it you definitely don't want to be in a situation where you've taken a chunk out of the value because you did some irreversible mods.

Quote:
Larry has been working on a sustainer, or the grapevine says. That does not mean Steve will like it or adopt it, the sustainiac is there but he won't use it. So poke all you want, Steve likes his Fernandez, Larry would have to work a miracle to get something Steve would approve, but Larry can work miracles.
Well a hope is better than nothing.
post #359 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 11:22 PM
Vendor

If you're buying a 35,000 car and need to sell it without ever changing a thing you're going to take a bath. It's the way the world works.

If I could buy VWH's with sustainers installed from Japan with any margin in them don't you think I'd always have one in stock? The mods do not kill resale value if they are well done and the desire for those mods exists, which obviously it does, because I've never been able to buy one I could make any money on. Sorry to be crass, but, that's something I have to do, not that I haven't lost plenty on some also. It's the way the world works.
post #360 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 11:50 PM

@Rich not sure if we ever got your thoughts on the PIA's... Care to share? Stashing a set?

Tags
ibanez jem , mij , pia , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode