Thoughts on the PIA (The new JEM)? - Page 26 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

460Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #376 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 02:54 PM

Re: Thoughts on the PIA (The new JEM)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafalstok View Post
Well after watching the "worst gig" steve video, i hardly think that the white PIA is not all scalloped, but the Xjumbo stainless steel fret makes it look like it is !

Maybe i'm wrong but every video/picture of namm with all steve's PIA are standard factory exept for the fernandez

Just check closely i'm sure the fretboard is flat with 4 last frets scalloped only
You can see it clearly in some angles, and in some of the other videos

It's pretty clear here though too in that worst gig video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #377 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 02:56 PM

Had a real problem with these when saw the leaked catalog photos here a week ago. Growing on me now.

As I looked back over all the JEMís since 1987, the reality is that his guitars are art, and Steve does limited runs of each similar to a painting.

Saw these yesterday at NAMM. Stainless frets really first rate on these. Neck is beautiful. For a player guitar, think these are fantastic. Working on the wife to get permission to purchase one at some point in the future. Asked Steve do a brief video to my wife to convince her to allow a PIA purchase. He did it. Guy is gracious and hilarious.

Long live King Vai!
post #378 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 04:12 PM

Well in this picture from the same video i don’t see any scalloped fret, Just big frets ok a flat fretboard
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 7BAE5986-5842-44F3-B8D6-F6DA45509518_1579464543816.jpeg (21.5 KB, 133 views)
post #379 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Well in this picture from the same video i donít see any scalloped fret, Just big frets ok a flat fretboard
You can't see the clear curves on the edge of the fretboard? Because I can see the scallop really clearly in that photo.

Just for reference here, this is a heavily scalloped neck. Notice how you can't tell because the camera is looking at it straight on? Those scallops are massive when you look at it with an angle. You can see quite clearly at any sort of angle that Steve's guitar is scalloped so what are you trying to achieve here? Are we pretending the scallops don't exist?
jono and VolatileGentleman like this.
post #380 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBazz View Post
Are we pretending the scallops don't exist?
I'm currently pretending the new PIA doesn't exist
post #381 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 10:07 PM

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7Zd16Xn...=1710xetecfiyn

This is from Steve's instagram account, maybe i'm wrong but i don't really see a scalloped fretboard...
Maybe it is another guitar too, i assume it is his guitar because of the straplocks on it

And i'm not trying to achieve anything like you said, i'm just a little bit confuse and just sharing my humble opinion

If i'm wrong that's not a problem, i'll be pleased to admit it !

Last edited by rafalstok; 01-19-2020 at 10:33 PM.
post #382 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 12:40 AM

Quote:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B7Zd16Xn...=1710xetecfiyn

This is from Steve's instagram account, maybe i'm wrong but i don't really see a scalloped fretboard...
Maybe it is another guitar too, i assume it is his guitar because of the straplocks on it

And i'm not trying to achieve anything like you said, i'm just a little bit confuse and just sharing my humble opinion

If i'm wrong that's not a problem, i'll be pleased to admit it !
Aye that one is completely stock, the one with scallops has a sustainer in the neck position.
post #383 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 10:59 AM

This is golden!

Trying to find a factory made guitar that fits every spec I'd like is never going to happen. Guitars that are modded and relic'd from actual use are the most interesting. Tells me a bit about the player and you won't see one anywhere else like it. I've contemplated having a guitar built to my specs, but I've also grown fond of buying used guitars on the cheap and refurbishing them to my specs. When I spend $1500-$2000 I'm afraid to put a scratch on it. When I buy a used Prestige for cheap, level the frets, change the pickups, and set it up to my preferences then I've already bonded with it. It's already banged up a bit so it doesn't matter if I scratch or ding it again. It's a tool I feel comfortable using rather than an investment.
FireEagle, ruger9 and pteropid like this.
post #384 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankhenrylee View Post
This is golden!

Trying to find a factory made guitar that fits every spec I'd like is never going to happen. Guitars that are modded and relic'd from actual use are the most interesting. Tells me a bit about the player and you won't see one anywhere else like it. I've contemplated having a guitar built to my specs, but I've also grown fond of buying used guitars on the cheap and refurbishing them to my specs. When I spend $1500-$2000 I'm afraid to put a scratch on it. When I buy a used Prestige for cheap, level the frets, change the pickups, and set it up to my preferences then I've already bonded with it. It's already banged up a bit so it doesn't matter if I scratch or ding it again. It's a tool I feel comfortable using rather than an investment.
I absolutely agree man. My favorite guitars are the ones that i wound up piecing together and making it my own. And the one i have that is more expensive, i am always paranoid about people touching or me bumping it haha.
FireEagle likes this.

Last edited by JsXLine6; 01-20-2020 at 12:50 PM.
post #385 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Anybody that modifies a guitar to suit their needs based on if it's going to kill the resale value has their priorities upside down. You modify a guitar because that's the way you want or need it.

The sustainer is not going to happen except aftermarket, why continue to bring it up over and over again? One company won't play ball, but anybody can have it done themselves. There is no butchering involved unless you decide to do the work yourself with a screwdriver. Anybody competent enough to be a first class tech can do the job with absolutely professional results.

If you think having Ibanez have Fujigen scallop a neck is going to cost less than your local luthier would charge, I'd say the difference would be negligible.

What's funny, and absolutely nothing personal intended, is that you would immediately modify a green one into something completely your own, but continue to argue you can't buy exactly what he plays off the rack.
I was trying to quote this, but guess I hit the wrong button. Anyhow, just noticed my reply above looked out of context so hope this helps it make sense.
post #386 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 03:23 PM

Did we ever get production numbers on the limited colors?
post #387 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 07:06 PM
Vendor

They no longer release production numbers.
post #388 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
They no longer release production numbers.

So, can you confirm what Ibanez are actually doing with the Limited Edition Pia guitars? Are they limited to a specific number or will they simply satisfy orders placed for any given colour in 2020?

Last edited by ThePedroDB; 01-21-2020 at 06:07 PM.
post #389 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 07:59 PM
Vendor

There were x amount of guitars allocated to the US and they allocated them to dealers they way they wanted to.
post #390 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 06:58 PM

I will say this, other than the pink, the domes on the others' volume knobs totally interfere with the Ultralite bar when the pull filter is engaged. :/

Not an issue with a regular 2LE21B bar.

Hoseki likes this.

Tags
ibanez jem , mij , pia , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode