Thoughts on the PIA (The new JEM)? - Page 3 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

444Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 06:30 PM

Re: Thoughts on the PIA (The new JEM)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBazz View Post
What reason would Ibanez dealers and industry insiders have to collectively attempt to fake a catalogue picture? The chances of this being fake are zero, the reason we're seeing them is because dealers have access to the updated completed catalogue beforehand and somebody leaked it, after it was leaked many insiders came out to confirm the validity of it. You can believe what you want but there is nothing to suggest it's not real, the cat is out of the bag and this is the new Ibanez Vai model, like it or not.

You're sceptical because there are two catalogues, but on the Ibanez website it states specifically that the catalogue being shown is incomplete and will be updated on the 16th. Dealers have the complete catalogue, the same reason we knew about the 30th Anniversary Jems before they were officially announced, somebody in the know leaks the information and the first place it ends up is here on Jemsite.

Thanks for the rant

I already told that my personal philosophy is to wait and see the official announcement. And I have decided to do so. You might have inside information, those pictures may be genuine, etc - but I'm still going to wait for the official announcement - because I don't have that dealers catalogue and I'm not one of the insiders.

There's really nothing more to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by marviner View Post
Thanks for the rant

I already told that my personal philosophy is to wait and see the official announcement. And I have decided to do so. You might have inside information, those pictures may be genuine, etc - but I'm still going to wait for the official announcement - because I don't have that dealers catalogue and I'm not one of the insiders.

You should probably wait until you’ve played one yourself. The official Ibanez website might also not be right !
VolatileGentleman likes this.
post #33 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
You should probably wait until you’ve played one yourself. The official Ibanez website might also not be right !

That would be the best of course, but I think official announcement (or at least some NAMM videos) will do
post #34 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marviner View Post
Thanks for the rant

It wasn't a rant, I was trying to convince you with logical rationale. The people who sell the guitars are telling you it's real, the evidence shows proof beyond reasonable doubt. You can wait for the announcement, but you already know the guitars exist. You keep mentioning your personal philosophy but given the evidence the only thing it's likely to do for you is let you down?

We know the Ibanez PIA is the new model, we don't need to debate whether it's real, or the philosophy of "I'l believe it when I see it with my own two eyes". We can get back to moaning about it looking tacky and costing too much money.
jim777 and VolatileGentleman like this.
post #35 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 06:59 PM

Quote:
It wasn't a rant, I was trying to convince you with logical rationale. The people who sell the guitars are telling you it's real, the evidence shows proof beyond reasonable doubt. You can wait for the announcement, but you already know the guitars exist. You keep mentioning your personal philosophy but given the evidence the only thing it's likely to do for you is let you down?

We know the Ibanez PIA is the new model, we don't need to debate whether it's real, or the philosophy of "I'l believe it when I see it with my own two eyes". We can get back to moaning about it looking tacky and costing too much money.

Well, I have decided to wait, and I can tell you it's really hard to speak me out of it, so call me stubborn and let it be
post #36 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 07:30 PM

I've got pretty small hands. Pretty sure they'll fit in those teardrop grips. For me, this should be the equivalent of a 2 handed sword for me! (I ain't big on it either)
post #37 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
It's funny how so many are opposed to the change in the holes based on....practicality??? The only time I've ever held my guitar by the monkey grip has been simply because it was there. Never to play it, or carry it, and the new holes are much like the old one, or fake f-holes on solid body guitars, nothing more than embellishments. And besides, how many fingers do you need to hold up an 8 pound guitar?
FWIW, I pick up my JEM by the handle all the time.

Last edited by Leviathus; 01-05-2020 at 08:43 PM.
post #38 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 09:14 PM
Contributor

Quote:

Obviously this guy is new to the forum and doesn't know the credibility of some of the heavy hitters on here. no point arguing with him about it. Let him wait it's fine. Doesn't affect our knowledge of what is clearly the new model. Now, when is the japanese JS with maple fretboard coming is what i want to know.
OCDemon is online  
post #39 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 10:04 PM

Don't worry @marviner , i don't wanna believe they're real either.
jono and Surveyor 777 like this.
post #40 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Steve was going to kill the complete line and replace them all. Japan talked him into leaving the JEM's as Premium production and the PIA as Japanese.
Was this a dramatic event?
post #41 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 11:00 PM

It is what it is, and it is and always has been Steve's guitar to do with what he wants (or can't be talked out of). I have to admit seeing the pics of these instruments was a bit like having that bandage pulled off really fast!
I'm all calmed down now though Someone will love them, it just won't be everyone. Maybe someone will sell a nice 777DY cheap to pay for one and I'll get lucky lol
mike570 and Hoseki like this.
post #42 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The Pearl [it's not white] is it. The colors are rarer than the 30ths were. I would assume there will be something different for 21 but at this point I don't think we can really assume anything.
I highlight for the rest of you a key sentence in Rich's post. "The colors are rarer than the 30ths were"

I remember when the 30th 777's hit Rich posting that he thought there were only 450 Green LNG's and to grab what you could. I grabbed my dream guitar (the 30th LNG) quickly.

IF you like one of those three colors, you probably need to place your order very quickly on Jan 16th or whenever they go up for sale.
Hoseki likes this.
post #43 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
It is what it is, and it is and always has been Steve's guitar to do with what he wants (or can't be talked out of). I have to admit seeing the pics of these instruments was a bit like having that bandage pulled off really fast!
I'm all calmed down now though Someone will love them, it just won't be everyone. Maybe someone will sell a nice 777DY cheap to pay for one and I'll get lucky lol
I saw it after I got home last night, when it was first posted (I've been checking Jemsite like twice daily waiting for the leak that I knew was coming)... I dreamed about the PIA and how bad it looked, I literally had a nightmare about it falling asleep about 30mins after first seeing it, then I came on today (technically yesterday now, since it's 3am) to rant before heading out. It is what it is for sure, but there is a situation where if Ibanez had the right version of a Jem they would have my money in an instant.

Then they come up with a Chibanez with teardrops instead of a monkey grip, meanwhile on planet earth we're smack bang in the middle of a 80s/90s nostalgia wave and swirl dipping random objects is fashionable with young people and youtubers.... The time is ripe for a Jem with those specs and a swirl paint job, but instead we get an attempt to make a 7VWH look more sickly. I love and hate Steve, I didn't expect a swirl in any way, but I also really didn't expect the PIA.
post #44 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 11:34 PM

I do find it a bit odd how Steve wants to just scrap the JEM entirely... maybe he's absorbed too much mercury or something. I feel like i've seen so many interviews where he's said things along the lines of "The JEM is the guitar for me... i've never wanted to play anything else". Maybe this whole thing was his wife's idea...
Surveyor 777 and Hoseki like this.
post #45 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathus View Post
Maybe this whole thing was his wife's idea...

Hmmm. A Yoko Ono or Jeanine Pettibone (Spinal Tap) theory. Yeah, I think you’ve got it.

David: Can I have...can I have the floor for just one moment because
I've got, you know, something I'd like to show you. These, uh,
Jeanine's been working on these very hard. These are a
new direction...
Jeanine: Got a new idea for a new presentation.
David: ...a stage look...for the band fashioned after...
Jeanine: The signs of the zodiac.
David: ...the signs of the zodiac.
Jeanine: We needed a new presentation.
David: This is a look for Viv; he's a Libra. There's sort of the
ying...yang...
Jeanine: ...ying and the yang...
David: ...sort of look, this is Nigel. He's...he's uh... Capricorn.
Sort of a goat look.
Jeanine: I've given you a little bib.
Nigel: Is this a joke?
David: ...this is the...
Nigel: Excuse me, is this a joke?
Jeanine: A joke???
David: Just bear with us for one moment please. This...I love this. I
wish I were...
Derek: Cancer.
David: This is your crab face. Give me a chance! Give it a chance.
Ian: David. David. David. Wait, please, wait a minute. Have you any idea
what it will costs to dress up the band as animals?
Rho likes this.

Tags
ibanez jem , mij , pia , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in