Thoughts on the PIA (The new JEM)? - Page 35 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

538Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #511 of 643 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 02:01 AM

Re: Thoughts on the PIA (The new JEM)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The TAM was a bigger flop than the 25ths. Crazy expensive, very little market for 8's, and you had to really love the spec [I didn't] to buy one of those. And for a local dealer to inventory one waiting for a walk in to buy it? I sold 1 new one and 1 second the whole run. I saw the new TAM they were concocting at LA and already knew those would be special order only.

Signature models are a double edge sword. If there's enough fan interest that coincides with their budget and aesthetics you may have a good chance. If you don't have all of that, the chances go way down. And that guitar was way overpriced because not old was it a sig but you had to pay for the [at least they were decent] flame maple tops, they put an opaque coat of white on you could barely see. or they make a Kiko RGA that's really nice, but they don't color match the head. I wasn't buying one. But the problem is, they're signature models, the artist has the final say, if the aesthetics or the spec aren't there, who wants to way overpay for it? Both guitars cost far more than a JEM.
They are a local dealer but they sell most of their guitars online. I think the goal was to get high-end Ibanez guitars in the store so people knew they had them. Long term, it worked out pretty well but the first year was rough.

Special order models make a lot of sense. The Meshuggah M8M was probably not practical as a production model but enough people wanted one that Ibanez made the Meshuggah M80 which coincided with more people's budgets. It makes me wonder if they are sitting on a prototype they chose not to produce simply because choices have to be made, that would be a runaway success?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 643 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 09:54 AM

Kiko's guitar would check a LOT of boxes for me, but the price....I have kids (as in plural) in college lol
post #513 of 643 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 06:16 PM

I have yet to try a Pia, more for curiousity sake than being serious about buying one. I simply want to compare it to the Jem I have more than anything which is the second one I have had, first a 1988 FP which I hated the midrangy tone out of the PAF Pros to a very keepable FP2 with the Evolutions. I liked the sound of the pickups but I just can't bring myself to buy his best guitar the Jem 7VW. Sorry, just can't do white guitars. I wanted older ones to save money but they don't stay white. I was going to go for a Jem 10 but they are like finding a needle in a haystack and are $$$. The FP2 was a no brainer but like the Pia, its pretty ornate.

Now my thoughts on the Pia, if I was to buy one it would be the gold one. The green one looks off with a black pickguard. The green and pink aren't my colors anyway. The white one looks too similar to his Jem 7VW. I know Steve did not reinvent the wheel but to make the Jem into a new guitar with a few refinements is a huge gamble in todays world. No one buys really expensive guitars anymore thanks to outsourcing abroad. Did he really need to change the Jem? To discontinue the Jem in favor of the Pia is a serious mistake unless he puts out much cheaper versions like the Jem Jr. It would help if he put some new music out too.
post #514 of 643 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Yeah, I recall that the flaw is that Tosin Abasi is only famous with members of SSO

In all seriousness though, I think the guitar hero landscape and thus the signature model landscape has changed so much over the last few years with the rise of YouTube and Spotify and what have you and at the same time the demise of the guitar magazine and the promoted album release.

I think Jackson scored hugely getting Misha Mansoor on board, he seems to be the nearest thing to a “mainstream” new guitar hero I can think of. He leads a significant band, with the main focus on guitar, he understands his gear and he doesn’t come over as a dick in interviews.

His signature guitar follows the same business model as the EBMM JP which is different price points and LOTS of options at each level. Whereas many Ibanez signature guitars are one model and one finish per artist. The JS and JEM/PIA are exceptions, not the rule.
Someone posted this in a thread about Steve Vai on TGP. The thread was about Steve using Marshalls again but by page 5 the context was Vai's relevance to the electric guitar, more or less. I felt this post captured Vai's contribution to the guitar rather well:

Anyone roughly 50 years old or less, who at some point played hard rock/metal in their youth, who says they didn't at least try to mimic Steve Vai at least for one day, is probably not being completely honest.

Guitar Heroes - I think Steve is one of many guitarists that this quote could apply to as well. These guitarists did one very important thing: they set the technical bar high and continued to raise it. I think it is unreasonable to expect these guitarists to continue to raise the technical bar anymore. If that is what they want to continue to do, fine, but if they want to do something else, that might be more worthwhile for themselves and for the guitar community. In other words, the guitar heroes played their part. It is time for other guitarists to be allowed to play theirs.

Signature Models - A signature model does make a guitar hero.

Landscapes - They have changed. Your social media following makes you a guitar hero followed by the signature model. Actually, first and last name, email address, and phone number are required before your social stats, then you are a guitar hero and so on and so forth... That was just one company though...

Misha Mansoor - I listened to the 1st Periphery album (without vocals) for 3 months straight. He managed to make the electric guitar an exceptionally percussive instrument while maintaining traditional electric guitars sounds. That was new and interesting! He even gave it a name: djent. That was surprisingly clever considering how difficult it is to name new sounds. For some reason, the internet was not very kind about it after a while.

EBMM JP - There business model is every JP related guitar can be a 7 string or a 6 string and you can choose from a handful of finishes depending on the model. I agree that is more appealing than 1 model, 1 color. I suspect it is advantageous to have a major string company subsidizing the guitar company. Otherwise, I have no idea how they can do what they do.
jono likes this.
post #515 of 643 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 01:00 PM

I prefer the older jems. The new ones are too fancy.
post #516 of 643 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 11:01 AM

Clearly Henning reads this board. Strong props to him for going at Vai on all your questions!

I mean this is epic. Sustainer, trem stop, scallops, he razzes him on the absence of all of it.

Last edited by The TPS Report; 02-17-2020 at 11:07 AM.
post #517 of 643 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 11:58 AM

Reviews: 21

Henning is one of my favorite YouTube people. He's whimsical but also calls it like he sees it. His vids are always interesting.
post #518 of 643 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 03:33 PM

That was a good video!
post #519 of 643 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
Henning is one of my favorite YouTube people. He's whimsical but also calls it like he sees it. His vids are always interesting.
Vai wanted to get back into his sales pitch and Henning looks at the neck and starts probing whether the fretboard was scalloped. Just classic.

Vai then says he’s only got 4 Pia’s, which again brings up an interesting point. It doesn’t appear Ibanez has even done the production run on these yet. The dealer delivery dates start in late April for White and go into late September for the Green.

Question for Rich, would they do two runs of the same color here depending on orders that come in? Or are these unit numbers hard and fast locked for the three colors?
post #520 of 643 (permalink) Old 02-18-2020, 10:32 PM

Not sure i understand Steve buying up all the backstops. Isn't it an Ibanez part (made by gotoh)? Or maybe someone else has the patent? And they were in the 777re's.

Funny how he goes on about tuning a regular floater without one (aka what comes on the guitar) is a pain. He woulda saved himself some grief just bringing a standard PIA to that interview lol.
post #521 of 643 (permalink) Old 02-18-2020, 10:38 PM

Here's the new signature guitar, the PIA.

Oh cool, look at all these cool features

Oh well none of those come with the guitar they are just for me, now go spend $3500 on this guitar that isn't good enough for me...
post #522 of 643 (permalink) Old 02-18-2020, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDemon View Post

Oh well none of those come with the guitar they are just for me, now go spend $3500 on this guitar that isn't good enough for me...
🤣 That's it in a nutshell.
post #523 of 643 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 05:44 AM

I have never personally used a backstop, I use something different, the back box, I installed two of them so I suppose it works in a similar way. However, it has nothing to do with tuning the guitar or to keep the guitar in tune.
From past interviews, Steve said he uses the backstops for two reasons:
1. to avoid little vibrations in the bridge while he is playing;
2. to have something extra when he rises the guitar by the whammy bar.
Of course, it also depends on how you have it set. The springs can be tighten up to the point you can't pull the whammy bar up anymore and that set up works if you want a guitar you can Drop to D (the low E that is).
so, Am i missing something here? Anyone with a backstop in their guitar wants to add something about the tuning? Just curiosity guys
post #524 of 643 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 08:55 AM

I have one guitar with a backstop, 87 radius and I used to own an 88 S with one. It does make zero return from pull ups much more accurate but it totally changes the feel of the trem and I'm not really a fan. It can be set three ways I think for zero return accuracy, for retaining tuning when springs break or for drop D if I'm correct.
post #525 of 643 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDemon View Post

LOL, some truth to that...

But honestly, couldn't that have also been said about most of the JEMs? While they did have the last 4 frets scalloped, none (except the 777RI's, apparently) came with the backstops, none had the the Fernandez. Or the velcro backplate. None came with the Tru Temperament frets. Or the pick holder. Were you guys complaining about all of that at the time too?

Tags
ibanez jem , mij , pia , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode