Thoughts on the PIA (The new JEM)? - Page 40 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

492Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #586 of 603 (permalink) Old 05-11-2020, 04:09 PM

Reviews: 3
Re: Thoughts on the PIA (The new JEM)?

He confirmed post #571 on this thread on that vid, although I would have liked him to elaborate about it a little bit more...
vy100 is online  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #587 of 603 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 12:55 AM

I think a scalloped fretboard would be worth the risk. At least, I don’t think it would make or break a sale on these guitars. Since Steve sort of solicited “unsolicited suggestions” if it’s possible to make all the covers on the back of the guitar magnetic, go for it.
post #588 of 603 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 05:07 PM

I didn’t watch the video so please forgive me if it was discussed already, but has Steve dropped all interest in True Temperment necks?
post #589 of 603 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 12:34 AM

Watched that video. In it Steve says stainless steel frets destroy your strings.

My experience is just the opposite. Think they last longer with SS. Less friction
post #590 of 603 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 09:05 PM

Has anyone acquired a PIA yet?

Would love a review, especially of the new pickups and how they compare to Evos.
post #591 of 603 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 03:53 PM

Reviews: 2

I love Steve - Steve knows that ... he actually personally has reached out to me, because he is that amazing of an artist but even more beautiful and truly, truly a pure, good true human being!

I realize Steve adores his wife, and this seems to be more of an ornate, feminine incarnation of the Jem....he can call it paradise in art, but its just for his wife lol

That aside, I actually think it is just as nice, but the biggest issue I have, and it is huge - no 7 string version?! Are you seriously joking? Like seriously, Are you serious?!

I would love to see some PIA in the UNIVERSE, or should I say PIA in the UV lol!
post #592 of 603 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYLD STALLYNS View Post
I love Steve - Steve knows that ... he actually personally has reached out to me, because he is that amazing of an artist but even more beautiful and truly, truly a pure, good true human being!

I realize Steve adores his wife, and this seems to be more of an ornate, feminine incarnation of the Jem....he can call it paradise in art, but its just for his wife lol

That aside, I actually think it is just as nice, but the biggest issue I have, and it is huge - no 7 string version?! Are you seriously joking? Like seriously, Are you serious?!

I would love to see some PIA in the UNIVERSE, or should I say PIA in the UV lol!
Some thoughts:

If Steve Vai does not gravitate towards the 7-string guitar anymore, that is fine. He has contributed his fair share to guitar design in my opinion.

Benedetto builds arch tops and every model they offer is available as either a 6 string or a 7 string. They are not custom guitars but they are close enough and expensive enough that whether it’s relevant is up to you.

EBMM has builds every JP model (of which there have been many) as both a 6 string or 7 string version. Considering this system has been in place for 20 years, it most likely works out financially. It also creates “option value” for the guitarist. The option of buying the same guitar with or without that extra string is always available.

Lastly, the Ibanez JEM/Universe coexisted for a long period of time. Ibanez was responsible for bringing the production model 7 string guitar to the market. They have ample experience at doing difficult things in that regard.

Steve and Pia’s children have unique names, especially when combined. If the family agreed to such an endeavor, we could have the Ibanez PIA and possibly an Ibanez FireAngel or AngelFire as the 7 string compliment. The idea of “family“ is a positive one and it puts the guitars in a unique context. People tend to appreciate unique things with stories behind them.

There many options out there...
post #593 of 603 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The TPS Report View Post
Watched that video. In it Steve says stainless steel frets destroy your strings.

My experience is just the opposite. Think they last longer with SS. Less friction
Yeah I've got 3 guitars with SS frets, I don't know about the strings lasting longer but they definitely have never been destroyed either. Honestly I don't think there is any noticeable difference in string life, but for sure there is a very noticeable difference in fret life. Going forward I won't be buying any nickel fret guitars.
Algiman and The TPS Report like this.
post #594 of 603 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
Quote:

Some thoughts:

If Steve Vai does not gravitate towards the 7-string guitar anymore, that is fine. He has contributed his fair share to guitar design in my opinion.

Benedetto builds arch tops and every model they offer is available as either a 6 string or a 7 string. They are not custom guitars but they are close enough and expensive enough that whether it’s relevant is up to you.

EBMM has builds every JP model (of which there have been many) as both a 6 string or 7 string version. Considering this system has been in place for 20 years, it most likely works out financially. It also creates “option value” for the guitarist. The option of buying the same guitar with or without that extra string is always available.

Lastly, the Ibanez JEM/Universe coexisted for a long period of time. Ibanez was responsible for bringing the production model 7 string guitar to the market. They have ample experience at doing difficult things in that regard.

Steve and Pia’s children have unique names, especially when combined. If the family agreed to such an endeavor, we could have the Ibanez PIA and possibly an Ibanez FireAngel or AngelFire as the 7 string compliment. The idea of “family“ is a positive one and it puts the guitars in a unique context. People tend to appreciate unique things with stories behind them.

There many options out there...
First I totally agree; Furthermore I think it’s cute to do a family thing, if you didn’t get that appreciation with my opener

I was teasing a bit with my comment but I’m all honesty your post pokes at all of the underlying affection I have for the new Jem

And yes, 7 strings, as much as I love them and consider Them equal as 6 strings, they aren’t - They are niche

And for the reasons you’ve just given is what made me switch from Ibanez to EBMM JP majesty 7 and XI 7 temporarily when I wanted a “brand new” guitar (thanks Adam, this majesty is in pristine condition , I don’t see the paint bubble at all, ya loon)

However, I’m back where I belong, at
home with my UV777BK and RG ART

Good points Fly
post #595 of 603 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 12:23 PM

PS if Steve says SS destroy frets and he prefers nickel, then I will just go with the master - he literally knows more about playing electric than anyone on earth
post #596 of 603 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
PS if Steve says SS destroy frets and he prefers nickel, then I will just go with the master - he literally knows more about playing electric than anyone on earth
Steve has a guitar tech that does everything for him and is not even familiar with a lot of the terminology or the methods of setup etc. I love Steve but we don't need to blindly worship him. I've been playing SS frets longer than Steve has and I change my own strings and setup my own guitars, I value my own experience on this above Steve's. On matters of music and playing technique, that's when I pay attention.

Steve isn't a guitar builder or tech, he seems almost incompetent on the tech side of things and relies heavily on his techs, and is very open about that.
The TPS Report likes this.

Last edited by BigBazz; 05-22-2020 at 07:45 PM.
post #597 of 603 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 09:27 PM

That’s true. I still think he can feel or tell, he IS a pro with the best technique so I’m assuming some tech knowledge is picked up in passing, and I’ve heard Steve talk about gear and he knows his gear, Steve was his own tech early in his career too, so don’t doubt the master, either! 😉
post #598 of 603 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBazz View Post
Steve has a guitar tech that does everything for him and is not even familiar with a lot of the terminology or the methods of setup etc. I love Steve but we don't need to blindly worship him. I've been playing SS frets longer than Steve has and I change my own strings and setup my own guitars, I value my own experience on this above Steve's. On matters of music and playing technique, that's when I pay attention.

Steve isn't a guitar builder or tech, he seems almost incompetent on the tech side of things and relies heavily on his techs, and is very open about that.
I am on Jemsite since 2006.

This is the stupidest post I ever saw here.
WYLD STALLYNS likes this.
post #599 of 603 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peromucho7 View Post
I am on Jemsite since 2006.

This is the stupidest post I ever saw here.
Do you ever watch Steve? Like do you ever watch his podcasts or his videos? He literally talks about needing his techs to get things right, he couldn't get the sound right for a stream and it was out of sync and he didn't have the knowhow to fix it, one of his streams we just had to deal with bad sound quality on the guitar. He confuses himself on technical terms regularly and uses the wrong terminology, he misunderstands aspects of guitar setup. Why? Because he has a tech do everything for him and has done for decades, he knows what he wants and they get it done for him.

He talks about this in his videos fairly often, maybe you should watch them. Steve has only recently switched to SS frets, his techs change all his strings for him and somebody told him that SS frets destroy your strings, it's not the first time I've heard it. But since a hell of a lot of people say that SS frets don't have any effect on this, and since I also use SS frets I know it not to be true, there is no difference in string life.

I love Vai but I hate when people blindly worship players and take everything they say as gospel without a question, especially when the player in question regularly talks about what he doesn't know, openly.
lordhar and The TPS Report like this.

Last edited by BigBazz; 05-23-2020 at 12:17 PM.
post #600 of 603 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 11:58 AM

'' blindly worship''?

Steve who?

You mean the guy who invented floating tremolo, lions claw, HSH, who screwed recording companies ( in brilliant way!) ?

The guy who turn borrowed guitar into Green Meanie that was '' tweaked to perfection'',

who use to wrote programs for Eventide Harmonizer in days before PC screen editors? (Those who did it will know what I am talking about. )

So you think that he misunderstands aspects of guitar setup? But he invented guitar setup.

To call him ignorant because he is earning enough money to pay somebody else to change strings for him ?

You really think when is doing podcasts or whatever he will change strings in guitar , cleanse the dust from amp, put guitar, amp and box into the car bring it to place and wire it even if he know how to do it?

You really believe in that?

His earnings per hour is much bigger then guitar tech and it is common sense to hire guitar tech spare some time.

And if Nordeg or whoever screw something it is common sense that that person will sort out problem faster then employer who came to prepared act.
And in meantime Vai will entertain public with talking jokes that somebody will not understand.

Tags
ibanez jem , mij , pia , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode