Thoughts on the PIA (The new JEM)? - Page 42 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

538Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #616 of 643 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 01:21 AM

Reviews: 120
Re: Thoughts on the PIA (The new JEM)?

Have you tried just lowering them a bit, to see if that sorts things out?
The TPS Report likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #617 of 643 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 09:22 AM

Have you tried adjusting the height of the pickups themselves? Lowering them a bit may take away a lot of the issues youíre having with them.
The TPS Report likes this.
post #618 of 643 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Have you tried just lowering them a bit, to see if that sorts things out?
Will work that angle. That said didn’t jump in as obvious yesterday because was trying to sort out sound/volume comparison and the bridge and neck p/u’s already quite low. That said, will experiment.
post #619 of 643 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 11:43 AM
EKG

Quote:
Originally Posted by The TPS Report View Post
Now spent a lot of time with the PIA. Ergonomically great. Built like a Mercedes.

But may tap the experts here on changing the pickups out. Iím really struggling with those Utopia pickups. Spent the weekend A/B-Ing them with Evos and a Suhr SSV+. I really love the Evoís and the SSV+ (Do not have a Suhr Aldrich)

The Utopiaís are really hot, but itís a harsh hot, with a very scooped midrange. Been working with some amp adjustments but still not able to get these sounding good. If anyone has any comments, observations, etc. greatly appreciate it.
You are right. The Utopiaís are hot, but I donít find them to be harsh. I do find them a little more sensitive in my attack vs. the EVOís. If I play softly, they clean up nicely, and when I play more aggressive, they sound dirtier.

I agree with the others that maybe pup height could help, and also try experimenting a bit with how the pups respond to your playing (if you havenít already). And of course lastly, it is possible the Utopiaís just arenít your thing and need to swap them out to something that meets your ear.

Oh....and congrats on the PIA!
post #620 of 643 (permalink) Old 06-17-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post
Saw this today. Thought I'd post it here..

https://youtu.be/Ifm63o6eu1k
Thanks for posting this Youtube link!

A lot of information in there regarding woodworking and painting. I never knew how they did the swirl, very cool.

Thanks!
post #621 of 643 (permalink) Old 09-18-2020, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKG View Post
You are right. The Utopiaís are hot, but I donít find them to be harsh. I do find them a little more sensitive in my attack vs. the EVOís. If I play softly, they clean up nicely, and when I play more aggressive, they sound dirtier.

I agree with the others that maybe pup height could help, and also try experimenting a bit with how the pups respond to your playing (if you havenít already). And of course lastly, it is possible the Utopiaís just arenít your thing and need to swap them out to something that meets your ear.

Oh....and congrats on the PIA!
The Utopia's instantly clicked with me, probably my favorite pickup so far. I like them more than the Evos and Gravity Storm on my other rgs/jems (haven't tried the evo2 or breed, I know I know!). They are actually hotter than my Sonic ecstasies in my Majesty too.
EKG and peromucho7 like this.
post #622 of 643 (permalink) Old 09-29-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieguitarmaker View Post
The Utopia's instantly clicked with me, probably my favorite pickup so far. I like them more than the Evos and Gravity Storm on my other rgs/jems (haven't tried the evo2 or breed, I know I know!). They are actually hotter than my Sonic ecstasies in my Majesty too.
I'm into them now. Took me awhile to adjust. The PIA is an amazing player guitar.
EKG, mike570 and Hoseki like this.
post #623 of 643 (permalink) Old 09-30-2020, 09:52 AM

Reviews: 21

Quote:
I dig the Utopias. I might put them in a guitar. Not a fan of the aesthetics but the sound is great.
post #624 of 643 (permalink) Old 09-30-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
I dig the Utopias. I might put them in a guitar. Not a fan of the aesthetics but the sound is great.
Luckily now Dimarzio appears to be offering all their pickups uncovered. I definitely find them gaudy with the covers, even though I do kind of like the pink and black ones haha. Also I feel like the split tones are even spankier than the evos in my JEM which makes me want to try a Utopia middle for more of my guitars
Hoseki likes this.
post #625 of 643 (permalink) Old 09-30-2020, 10:17 AM
EKG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
I was not much into pup covers because there was nothing to them, usually looking like a big chrome or gold rectangle in the pup areas. Personally, I like that they added some design elements to the covers. On the PIA, it pulls the whole guitar design together.

Now, if the covers are not your thing, I see Dimarzio introduced the Naked option, allowing the buyer to opt for no covers.

(I see newbieguitarmaker and I posted minutes apart, so my statement echos the Dimarzio options)

Last edited by EKG; 09-30-2020 at 10:22 AM.
post #626 of 643 (permalink) Old 09-30-2020, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Cosmetically, I still can’t get past the petal grip.

I really don’t like the fact that they’ve rounded the body off either, I really like the very square sides and small radius of the JEM’s body even months later the more rounded PIA still looks to me like someone tried to make a JEM copy out of a 1990s EX series.
post #627 of 643 (permalink) Old 10-01-2020, 01:03 AM

Quote:
. Also I feel like the split tones are even spankier than the evos in my JEM which makes me want to try a Utopia middle for more of my guitars
Agreed. This is a noticeable and welcome addition with the pickups. Flip that selector switch to the second position, and while playing communication breakdown, Iím getting this incredible early Jimmy Page tele sound.
post #628 of 643 (permalink) Old 11-09-2020, 07:25 AM

I still haven't seen a PIA out in the wild, nor do I know of anyone who has one. Do we think there is going to be a new colour for 2021 or just a continuation of the White, with the others discontinued?
post #629 of 643 (permalink) Old 11-09-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBazz View Post
I still haven't seen a PIA out in the wild, nor do I know of anyone who has one. Do we think there is going to be a new colour for 2021 or just a continuation of the White, with the others discontinued?
Would love to get Richís take on what heís hearing. With no NAMM and the manufacturing challenges of 2020, would be curious.

For the people above noting body style of the PIA, I like mine. Super ergonomic. We all go through ďfavorite guitarĒ phases, but the PIA is the most comfortable thing Iíve got for playability right now. Neck and body are perfect. Add the steel frets, excellent.
BigBazz and Hoseki like this.
post #630 of 643 (permalink) Old 11-09-2020, 05:12 PM
Vendor

Nobody will know anything till mid December but I'd expect some Indo version of the PIA. I'm not sure you'll see much else, they can barely make production demands, everything is out of stock and not due till next year so I stocked up on what I could like everybody else. He who has gets the sale after all. I don't expect the manufacturing challenges to subside for a year, 6-7 months until there's enough vaccine and then months to catch up on unfilled production. Might even take longer.

Tags
ibanez jem , mij , pia , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode