Thoughts on the PIA (The new JEM)? - Page 5 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

444Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 01:25 PM

Re: Thoughts on the PIA (The new JEM)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemerator View Post
People, please, have a look at the pictures again. Despite what people are writing, this is is so fugly, it can't be real.
I am still hoping for the opposite, like the vantablack prototype with a sustainer.
What is there to say? There are already people who have bought these behind the scenes, it's not a hoax.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBazz View Post
What is there to say? There are already people who have bought these behind the scenes, it's not a hoax.
I know, I read it all, but don't want it to be true.
I have to rethink my life. Steve and I are drifting apart... 😉
Woody was bad, but this...
lordhar and chris101 like this.
post #63 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 02:08 PM

Reviews: 3

Quote:
Woody with black breeds, edge trem and Fuji-made (as Steveís) would had been a hit.
mike570, Jemerator and Hoseki like this.
post #64 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 02:33 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
It's easy enough to ask.

@ Rich - Are these for sale already, or are places being taken on the line or something similar?
Dealers that already have their allocations from their reps can sell them as soon as they know they will have them.
jim777 likes this.
post #65 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
I feel you, the tragedy is that if they looked less like a horror story a lot of us would buy one (let's be real, a lot of people will buy them in the first year regardless). The specs are really spot on (I could be picky and say I'd prefer a Lo-Pro Edge like you get on the high end RG's) and I'm definitely interested in seeing what the new pickup set is about, stainless steel frets are a big leap forward for me too.
post #66 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 02:42 PM

Quote:
...this is is so fugly, it can't be real.
I am still hoping for the opposite, like the vantablack prototype with a sustainer.
Personal tastes really. Vantablack is the ugliest thing I've ever seen and the only reason people like it is because it's something new.

Virtual Vantablack has already been around for years as in 'car in need of the paint job being finished'.

The new guitars look great, for the people that got to make the decisions. It's not for me, but Steve can do anything he wants with it.

At least we agree on the Sustainer.
post #67 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 02:51 PM

I gotta say, the general reception seems pretty damn negative. It's growing on me. The color really makes or breaks this guitar for me, I really like the green and gold with the pink/teal inlays. As for the Stallion White, I think it looks too similar to the JEM7VWH, almost like a knockoff. But if Steve intends it to be the replacement for the 7VWH then that's what it is, I would have preferred they kept it as the flagship and just added a regular production PIA in a cool, different finish. In any case, I don't want to be too critical based on this one low quality catalog shot and I'm sure we'll get to hear the story behind the guitar soon.
lordhar likes this.
post #68 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
Personal tastes really. Vantablack is the ugliest thing I've ever seen and the only reason people like it is because it's something new.

Virtual Vantablack has already been around for years as in 'car in need of the paint job being finished'.

The new guitars look great, for the people that got to make the decisions. It's not for me, but Steve can do anything he wants with it.

At least we agree on the Sustainer.
You are right, vantablack on a guitar would be ugly, as you would not see any contour. The prototype is matt black and it looks really good I think. It isn' t real vantablack as you can't have that paint on a guitar or on any object you want to actually touch and use, besides being very expensive I guess. But the story behind the color and the name is cool.

Ibanez and Steve can do what ever they want and I can be disappointed about whatever I want. But taste can't be argued and thank god I have good taste, these guitars look hideous.

If you all say that this is real, let me please hope that this is just the girly version and there is more to come.
post #69 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 08:17 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Ibanez and Steve can do what ever they want and I can be disappointed about whatever I want. But taste can't be argued and thank god I have good taste, these guitars look hideous.
I'm sorry but you are nothing but wrong. Taste is up to the individual, if anything can be argued it's taste. What you like somebody else might hate, what you think is good taste somebody else thinks you're off your rocker. You can dislike anything all you want, just don't pretend that your taste is the be all end all of mankind.
post #70 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 08:19 PM

Steve addith - SS frets

Steve taketh away - Low Pro Edge, tasteful hardware colors and pickups.

Thatís sort of how I see it. The project could be salvaged with a LoPro Edge, normal black hardware, regular pickups and better colors. But he went the opposite direction. On all of it.
diablomozart likes this.
post #71 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 10:58 PM

Do these guitars have the last 4 frets scalloped like the JEM?
post #72 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Z06 View Post
Do these guitars have the last 4 frets scalloped like the JEM?
Asking the important questions! And i'm not sure but i would think so, perhaps there could even be more than the last 4 scalloped.
post #73 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 11:50 PM

Reviews: 6

little too blingy for my taste...get well soon rich...d.m.
post #74 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The TPS Report View Post
Steve taketh away - Low Pro Edge, tasteful hardware colors and pickups.

That’s sort of how I see it. The project could be salvaged with a LoPro Edge, normal black hardware, regular pickups and better colors. But he went the opposite direction. On all of it.
I don't think any Jem has had a Lo-Pro in years, it was the Edge Pro for a few years and then went back to the Original Edge, and while I definitely do prefer the Lo-Pro the only real advantage for me is that it's slightly easier/faster to change strings than the old Edge. I think I'm right in saying that Steve uses an original Edge these days on his guitar so it would make sense that the PIA comes with that too. I definitely think that less Chibanez styled hardware and some less "rich" looking colours would tame the sickly look of them and make them a lot more appealing.

Bit of an off-topic rant - Speaking of Lo-Pro, the Lo-Pro on my old 94 7V seems to be wankered after this eventful year (neck split, repaired and SS refret). The guitar goes out of tune when you bend the B and G strings, (they go flat) and then it returns somewhat if you dive bomb to zero. I temporarily replaced it with the Original Edge from my 777 30th as a tester and it fixed the problem. That guitar was completely bomb proof for so many years, replacement trem is £250-300 without the nut which if you shop about is halfway to an RG550 complete with an Original Edge, replacement part prices make me a bit sick.
The TPS Report likes this.
post #75 of 538 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBazz View Post
...I definitely do prefer the Lo-Pro the only real advantage for me is that it's slightly easier/faster to change strings than the old Edge.
For me the original Edge was absolute perfection. I can fix a broken string fairly quickly on stage with it, but a lot harder for me with a LoPro.

Tags
ibanez jem , mij , pia , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in