Thoughts on the PIA (The new JEM)? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

300Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 380 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Thoughts on the PIA (The new JEM)?

Ibanez' big announcement was leaked in a facebook group today with Steve's new PIA model. There are some pretty radical changes, I'm kinda sad about the monkey grip, but stainless steel frets is a big plus. I can't help but wonder if the Art JEMs were a better direction to go in, I'd take a sustainer+stainless 7v over the new ones... Thoughts?

Guitars
Specs
Hoseki likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 380 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 09:27 PM

Reviews: 21
Woof! That was quick! I just came here from Facebook to see if there was any info here. LOL! I like them aside from the ugly teardrop grips.
post #3 of 380 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Re: Thoughts on the PIA (The new JEM)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
Woof! That was quick! I just came here from Facebook to see if there was any info here. LOL! I like them aside from the ugly teardrop grips.
I feel that, I still need to get used to the grips. I like the colours and SS frets, but for me at least, the gold hardware is too much on the coloured models haha. Then again, I'm no Steve Vai...
post #4 of 380 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 12:49 AM

Slightly better pic here-

https://imgur.com/S9yseTg
post #5 of 380 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 03:55 AM

Not a fan of the gold hardware. Otherwise, they look good to me. I was hoping for a really new guitar though. It’s the same basic guitar with tougher frets. Sustainer would have made a lot of difference to me.
Hoseki likes this.
post #6 of 380 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 04:45 AM

Reviews: 3

New affordable swirls were the way to go; I don’t see Steve leaving EVO at home and playing those aberrations on stage.
jono, Surveyor 777 and pteropid like this.
post #7 of 380 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 05:36 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vy100 View Post
New affordable swirls were the way to go; I don’t see Steve leaving EVO at home and playing those aberrations on stage.
This is the correct answer and I had put some cash aside for a new JEM this year, but I can't bear to look at the new handle on this monstrosity.

I'll probably spend the money on a new set of wheels for my car. Or maybe a new gaming PC.
Surveyor 777 likes this.
jono is online  
post #8 of 380 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 06:11 AM

Reviews: 12
Cool Re: Thoughts on the PIA (The new JEM)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolatileGentleman View Post
Slightly better pic here-

https://imgur.com/S9yseTg
This is a much better picture...I actually don't hate it the way I did when I first saw it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vy100 View Post
New affordable swirls were the way to go.
So true!

I was going to buy the 77P BFP, but I wanted to wait to see the "new JEM"...Going for the BFP now!
post #9 of 380 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADTUNES666 View Post
This is a much better picture...I actually don't hate it the way I did when I first saw it.
In the clearer pictures the additional "swage lines" in the body are more visible... Not a good look, sorry. I'm not even going to say "I'll wait to see one in person". I'm literally going to dismiss it on how it looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADTUNES666 View Post
I was going to buy the 77P BFP, but I wanted to wait to see the "new JEM"...Going for the BFP now!
I too had been holding out for a new swirl, I might get a BFP, or I might get an RG, ot even an Anderson Angel after seeing the new Pia guitar...
jim777 and Ammusa like this.
jono is online  
post #10 of 380 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 06:37 AM

Please Ibanez, don't lettuce down with this UV30th...
Surveyor 777 and Ammusa like this.
post #11 of 380 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 09:35 AM

Was talking about this with someone on FB. Steve seems very big on decades. Consider the DNA in 2000 and a new FP and UVMC reissue in 2010.

I think the story nobody is talking about is that the Jem is done as a MIJ regular production guitar. This is Steve’s new signature. New decade, time for another big change.

I also would not be surprised to see a reissue DNA. Over the past decade, they’ve done reissue UVMC and 777’s plus new UV swirls and a new FP. New swirl Jem is the only thing they haven’t done.
Hoseki likes this.
post #12 of 380 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 10:23 AM

I'm gonna be having nightmares about that for weeks. It's a mission abort for me, the Monkey Grip replacement seems pointless and the gold is super tacky and sickly on the coloured models, the 7V lookalike has the gold chrome knobs which we have all become accustomed to associating with the fake Jems from china... I love the specs, but it's a no from me.
jono and Surveyor 777 like this.
BigBazz is online  
post #13 of 380 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 10:32 AM

Reviews: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
Was talking about this with someone on FB. Steve seems very big on decades. Consider the DNA in 2000 and a new FP and UVMC reissue in 2010.

I think the story nobody is talking about is that the Jem is done as a MIJ regular production guitar. This is Steve’s new signature. New decade, time for another big change.

I also would not be surprised to see a reissue DNA. Over the past decade, they’ve done reissue UVMC and 777’s plus new UV swirls and a new FP. New swirl Jem is the only thing they haven’t done.
They did it in 1987; the music, the scene, THE MOMENT for Ibanez/Vai/Jem success was back then and they succeed (and glad they did); nowadays it is not the same scenario and trying to repeat that success is a risky movement for Steve and Ibanez with a new model (which is just a revamp of the Jem with different aesthetics. We, guitar players, tend to be very conservative regarding gear once something has reached the “standard” status (think about Gibson turning back to solid body models for the Standard models, the success of the Reissue series for Fender, Marshall-Fender-Vox forever standing models in their catalogs because they are the best-sellers instead of the new models,...).

I hope the PIA model will sell well but I am sure prices for second hand Fuji Jem models are gonna rise (again). Maybe in a year or two they are re-releasing the Jem.
post #14 of 380 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
I think you've hit the nail on the head here! If this is the direction Steve wants to go with his signature, not that it'll bother him, it's a different direction to where my money is going.
jono is online  
post #15 of 380 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 11:00 AM
Vendor

Steve was going to kill the complete line and replace them all. Japan talked him into leaving the JEM's as Premium production and the PIA as Japanese.

Tags
ibanez jem , mij , pia , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode