Tone: BSB vs. VWH - Difference??? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Tone: BSB vs. VWH - Difference???

Iīve played both of these guitars but not much. Iīm not sure but to me the BSB sounded more aggressive than VWH... but couldnīt be able to play them side by side. So. Could you guys tell me the main differencies with these guitars???
Iīm interested to know īcause Iīm planning to buy a Jem but not very soon. I just have get lots of money first.

And another question... Is the BSB still produced??? The news on the Jemsite mainpage said that Jem7vwh, Jem7dbk and the UV are still there and Jem555 is dead. But it didnīt say anything about BSB or did?? I didnīt read it well.
So could someone confirm???

OoDee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 10:30 AM

Tone: BSB vs. VWH

I dont know about the tone of the BSB becaue I've never played one. but it has been out of production for like 2 or 3 years. Im pretty sure the DBK took its place, so they are pretty much the same guitar (i think) except the finish is differenet. You can still find them for sale on ebay (i actually think theres one on there now) and other places like gbase.com
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 11:11 AM

I would agree that the BSB sounds a bit more aggressive than the vwh. As for the DBK, it is quite a bit different from the BSB. Most of all it has Breeds instead of Evolutions, as in the vwh & BSB.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 11:25 AM

Reviews: 5

I would suppose you're maybe hearing a difference in the woods. *Since the pickups and routing and trem are the same, the JEM7VWH probably sounds smoother and less harsh due to the Alder body, instead of the basswood BSB. *Plus, the lack of a real lacquer finish may change the tone a little too.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

The BSB has been out of production for several years???!!! I donīt get it. Then why the Ibanez 2000 catalog had it in it???

Am I missing somethig big here???

And for tone differencies. I think its because of different wood. I just havenīt really played any other guitar made of alder and thatīs why I canīt really tell how does it affect to the sound of a guitar.

And I think BSB isnīt very close DBK due to the pickups. I tried a DBK once and didnīt guite like the breeb pups. I think they were just too smooth and round for my playing. I prefer the Evos.
And another thing I didnīt like about DBK was the neck. It was way too thin and flat. I like more thicker and rounder necks like JPM.

OoDee
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 03:29 PM
Vendor

It was only in your catalog because you're overseas. Unsold stock keeps them in your catalog, and for the prices you guys have to pay, I don't wonder why :biggrin:
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Oh crap!

So the BSB will be even more hard to find when I can afford it. This truly unfair!
I was lucky to get my JPM p3 a year ago. You donīt see many JPMs in stock very often here in Finland. And then I went and bought my Rg2027 at summer. And now it got discontinued!! Funny. Whatīs next???

OoDee
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 07:43 PM

Reviews: 5

actually, if you're looking for a guitar that's about to be discontinued, you may want to buy one of the fixed bridge seven strings. *The RG-7 *concept is dying out pretty fast anyway, plus it's always hard to find a fixed bridge guitar from THE "double locking tremelo company"
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 09:00 AM

Hey, Oodee--

I just bought my first JEM a month or so ago, and it's a BSB. *I can tell you I've played a VWH, but just for an hour or so, and these guys speak the truth. *The VWH is much smoother, I think it's more the pickups than the wood but that's up to interpretation. *The BSB, in my opinion, can be described with one word: *RAW. *It just rips, and that's exactly what I was looking for. *Now that I've got the trem working correctly it sings like a nightengale. *I'm really happy with it, mostly because the Evo pickups are dangerously hot. *

That's not to trod upon the VWH, though. *It's got it's own style, it just doesn't seem to match my playing personality. *Once dialed in correctly to your preferences I feel all the JEM's are quite awesome, even though I've only played about 5 or 6 of them.

Later,
mg
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 01:20 PM
rgr

Uh, the BSB and the VWH have the same pups so I would have to believe it's more the wood, the finish and to a smaller extent, the fingerboard.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 04:40 PM

Uh.....huh..huh.....ummmmm....oh, yeah. *I'm like.....stupid or something....huhhuhhuhhuh.

My bad. *Sorry.

mg

Tags
alder body , evo pickups , fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode