Tone Loss W/monkey Grip & Lions Claw??? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 4
Tone Loss W/monkey Grip & Lions Claw???

Is there any major tone differance with a basswood
RG (stock) vs. a basswood Rg that has had the
monkey grip and lions claw carved out??
In theory, less wood should equal thinner tone,
but is enough material removed to make a big differance???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 01:55 AM

Re: Tone Loss W/monkey Grip & Lions Claw???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl2556
Is there any major tone differance with a basswood
RG (stock) vs. a basswood Rg that has had the
monkey grip and lions claw carved out??
In theory, less wood should equal thinner tone,
but is enough material removed to make a big differance???
Most of your tone will come from a 3 to 4 inch space of wood around the bridge. The handle imho makes little to no effect on tone whatsoever, the trem route on the other hand does make a difference, but not really anymore than your average route. If your worried about little things like that why are you playing a guitar with a floating tremolo system and metal nut anyways? Bone nut, plus a fixed bridge sounds better everytime, its just the floyds are so damned useful fun, that i cant seem to separate myself from them.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1
Most of your tone will come from a 3 to 4 inch space of wood around the bridge. The handle imho makes little to no effect on tone whatsoever, the trem route on the other hand does make a difference, but not really anymore than your average route. If your worried about little things like that why are you playing a guitar with a floating tremolo system and metal nut anyways? Bone nut, plus a fixed bridge sounds better everytime, its just the floyds are so damned useful fun, that i cant seem to separate myself from them.
+1!!! Very good advice!!!
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 08:33 AM

Amen to all of the above
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 04:04 PM

I think the answer has already and unequivocably been given!
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 08:55 PM

but hey, the edge seems to rival a les paul in my book as far as sustain goes. at least when i played one....
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1
Possible loss of tone isn't really a 'little thing', and there are lots of options for floating bridge guitars that don't have handles cut into them. Lots of fixed bridge guitars (including Ibanez Artists) have brass nuts as well. I don't think a handle will affect the tone to much of a degree, but since most Jem owners find themselves in high gain amps I think distortion and gain makes whatever tone loss there might be a moot point anyway. The floating bridge versus fixed bridge tone loss issue isn't really relevant to the question asked.

jim
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 11:03 PM
HSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem#5150
but hey, the edge seems to rival a les paul in my book as far as sustain goes. at least when i played one....
+1 My '87 RG sustains more than my early 70's LP Custom, even before I had the Kahler put on it. I was young and stupid. *sighs regretfully*
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777
Possible loss of tone isn't really a 'little thing', and there are lots of options for floating bridge guitars that don't have handles cut into them. Lots of fixed bridge guitars (including Ibanez Artists) have brass nuts as well. I don't think a handle will affect the tone to much of a degree, but since most Jem owners find themselves in high gain amps I think distortion and gain makes whatever tone loss there might be a moot point anyway. The floating bridge versus fixed bridge tone loss issue isn't really relevant to the question asked.

jim
I may have worded it wrongly but i essentially agree with you on most parts. I think brass nuts sound VERY VERY bright. Much brighter than bone, plastic, graphite etc. , and typically imho, more sustain comes from attempting to improve low end frequencys over treble. Some people tend to like the brighter tones so thats not necessarily a bad thing. My les paul has more sustain than my rg's though, and far lower action for that matter. Your high output pickups have a large effect on distortion based sustain howerver, and most dimarzio's are higher output than most of everything gibson makes these days.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 08:51 PM

I cant believe ur comparing iby's to gibsons, i couldnt imagine 2 more different guitars. if a gibson has more sustain its because there's more fedback and less string pull from the pickups. If i cranck my amp and distortion, my trem will sustain 4 ever.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crevis
I cant believe ur comparing iby's to gibsons, i couldnt imagine 2 more different guitars. if a gibson has more sustain its because there's more fedback and less string pull from the pickups. If i cranck my amp and distortion, my trem will sustain 4 ever.
They are very different. Distortion based sustain = crock of ****, because you can give a two dollar harmony guitar endless sustain with the right gain structure. Im talking actual clean note sustain, real unbridled sustain which the gibson has more of.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crevis
"cant". No such word. Correct word "Can't".
"ur". No such word. Correct word "You're".
"couldnt". No such word. Correct word "Couldn't".
"fedback" No such word. Correct word "Feedback".
"cranck" No such word. Correct word "Crank".
"4 ever" No such word. Correct word "Forever".

Remember "UR" capital letters and apostrophies.

I will continue to monitor this forum until spelling and punctuation improves.

Hmm, perhaps I need to get a LYFE.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 11:49 AM

uh, oh, it's the grammar patrol.

all kidding aside, there are poopy, non-sustaining pieces of basswood and mahogany. There are also super-sustaining pieces of basswood and mahogany.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarslinger213
all kidding aside, there are poopy, non-sustaining pieces of basswood and mahogany. There are also super-sustaining pieces of basswood and mahogany.
+1!..
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder87
"cant". No such word. Correct word "Can't".
"ur". No such word. Correct word "You're".
"couldnt". No such word. Correct word "Couldn't".
"fedback" No such word. Correct word "Feedback".
"cranck" No such word. Correct word "Crank".
"4 ever" No such word. Correct word "Forever".

Remember "UR" capital letters and apostrophies.

I will continue to monitor this forum until spelling and punctuation improves.

Hmm, perhaps I need to get a LYFE.
I never write "LOL" but...LOL!

Tags
distortion pedal , fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , fixed bridge guitars , floating tremolo , high gain amp , high output pickups , les paul , monkey grip , output pickup , tone loss , tremolo system

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode