To tone or not to tone? that is the question. - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
To tone or not to tone? that is the question.

Just finished wiring up my custom jem that i been working on for the last 10 months. I have them pink and green humbuckers on it, like the jem 20th. They are evolutions the same as my 7v. When i wired up the guitar today, I totally bypassed the tone pot, its just there for show on this guitar. just been playing on it with a slightly overdriven sound. when I select the middle and the bridge or middle and neck pick-up the sound is awsome. I plugged in my 7v and it sound total crap compared to my swirl jem. Is this because my 7v has the small resisters in the wiring on the tone pots?? I think i might wire my 7v the same and bypass the tone completly. Who uses the tone pot anyway??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 11:51 AM

Re: To tone or not to tone? that is the question.

what wood is your custom jem made of? any other differences other than the tone knob?
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

I dont think wood is what is making them sound drasticly different. its made of poplar.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 12:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyboy mills View Post
I dont think wood is what is making them sound drasticly different. its made of poplar.
im not too sure about that mate.take evo's in alder,beautiful awsome tone.basswood and evo's sound the opposite (sh ite).this is just a example of course.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob777vdy View Post
im not too sure about that mate.take evo's in alder,beautiful awsome tone.basswood and evo's sound the opposite (sh ite).this is just a example of course.
LMFAO,

Evo's in basswood sound awesome. Maybe you just can't get the tonez?

Last edited by jono; 10-17-2009 at 01:00 PM.
jono is online  
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 01:13 PM

Hey man! I sometimes disconnect, and therefore bypass, the tone pots on my guitars. I did this after reading that Yngwie did it, and I figured that I dont really use them any way!

However I can't tell the difference at all! The guys in the guitar shop said that they would be superised to see if I could tell a difference and I can't! Still, I thought I'd tell you this as you may have ultra sensitive hearing.

Chris
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Guys the difference is staggering. I think it is down to the 7v having little resistor thingies in the wiring. my swirl jem is pick-ups into 5way switch ( copied wiring from my 7v) into vol pot straight to jack. The guitar sounds awsome loads and loads of tone. pots could possibly make a difference i supose.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 03:09 PM

Reviews: 20

Can anyone tell the difference when a tone pot is bypassed? How is the tone different if so? More treble? Less treble? More output?
Thanks
Regards
Jon
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 03:42 PM

Imagine your tone pot goes to 11 or 12, instead of "just" 10. Thats the sound you get without it. Brighter, more piercing, a lil louder (maybe just perceived and not real).
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 06:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
LMFAO,

Evo's in basswood sound awesome. Maybe you just can't get the tonez?
hey jono i swear down,i changed the stock pups from a rg2550z and replaced em with evo's,man it sounded bad.ive remembered as i write this text that the 555 is basswood with evo's and that sounded way better than that rg2550z with evo's wtf ???.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 07:54 PM

Are you sure the pickup just isn't closer to the strings?
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 02:19 AM

the sound depends on a lot of things.but wood make diference,and even in pickups if they are the same.my pgm 100 is different than my jem 777,and the uv bk and uvpwh are different too!how is that possible?i never chance my amp settings and the guitars are set up the same.maybe i have high sensitive hearing(i dont think zo)or they are just different..
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 02:31 AM

Reviews: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianozz View Post
Imagine your tone pot goes to 11 or 12, instead of "just" 10. Thats the sound you get without it. Brighter, more piercing, a lil louder (maybe just perceived and not real).
Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?

Seriously though folks. I have 1 guitar without a tone control and it sounds awesome. What is very different is the volume, it is louder. I would say it is 1 louder in fact.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 04:03 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob777vdy View Post
hey jono i swear down,i changed the stock pups from a rg2550z and replaced em with evo's,man it sounded bad.ive remembered as i write this text that the 555 is basswood with evo's and that sounded way better than that rg2550z with evo's wtf ???.
rg2550z

as in "Z"

as in edge zero?

I'm just sayin'
jono is online  
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Im gonna bypass the tone pot on my 7v. se if it sounds the same as the swirl. The swirl sounds clear and crisp where as the 7v sound dull and 5hit.

Tags
tone. tone control.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode