too nice to play - playing ultra high end JEMs? - Page 2 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 12:15 PM

Reviews: 34
Re: too nice to play - playing ultra high end JEMs?

dings tell the story of the guitar.

If you are buying guitars as an investment, then fine, but otherwise don't worry about dings etc.

Evo is arguably the most valuable jem of all and it is pretty ****ed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 12:29 PM
Banned

i wouldnt buy any jem as a investment,think only les paul and fender value with age.if i had one of the very high end jems id play the life out of it but look after it at the same time (case after use) no gigs with it either,ive never damaged any high end guitars ie chips scratches dings,most high end jem ive had is 7vwh which isnt considered high end jem but never the less is a very expensive guitar that comands respect.
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 12:58 PM

Reviews: 6

I'm one of those guys, that if I can afford to buy, then I'll afford to play it. I don't buy a guitar for investment. Which if I had the extra cash for one of the Universe RE's I'd still pay the piss out of that guitar. It's an instrument and it's made to be played. Regardless of the money involved.

If I want an investment, I'll mix in a Roth IRA or 401K. Guitars just aren't investments.
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 04:44 PM

If I had, let's say a JEM20TH, I would use it on stage.. It sure is a killer guitar, would lighten up the stage, and the DiMarzios in it sounds epic

Oh, may worth mentioning that I'm a collector AND guitar-player

Last edited by RG&JEM-Fan; 12-28-2010 at 06:16 AM.
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 04:11 PM

I have a 777LNG that is my main guitar and I can't do a gig without it. I get lots of compliments on the guitar because so few people have seen them played out live. Yeah, it's beat up and not worth much as LNGs go, but I have no plans to sell anyway. I just can't imagine owning something like a UVMC and not playing it. Why not just collect a few really good pictures of them if you're just going to look?
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 05:57 PM

Reviews: 21

Unfortunately, i cant afford to collect guitars...but the uvgr i have is player condition and is my main axe for gigs and recording......i cant see the point of getting guitars to just look at!!!!
post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 06:37 PM
Contributor

I'm primarily a player, and a collector. I started as a player and as I got more and more rare expensive guitars I got too afraid to ruin them, not because I plan on reselling, but just because I like having things in almost perfect shape. that being said, I think a great guitar in a case is a waste, despite having more than a few myself.
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 12:33 AM

Reviews: 2

play them til they can't be played anymore!!!! then hang 'em on a wall and be proud of what it was and has done over the years.............
post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 01:45 AM

Reviews: 19

Play 'em.
Its like having the best whizz bang 4x4 and not getting off the tar.
Wasted.
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibboom View Post
Some people are players, some collectors, and some both. I don't see anything wrong with owning a collectible guitar that doesn't get played. It's no different from any other collectible, be it art or baseball cards or whatever. The satisfaction for most people is owning it, displaying it and taking care of it, like a piece of fine art. Museums are founded on this principle, and there's a lot to be learned from it. I don't see the need to practice my daily modes on a collectible guitar, wearing out the frets and scratching the pickguard. Look at how excited people get when they see a dead mint 777LG....23 yrs old and still in great condition? Wow! No one "ooos and ahhhs" at the beaters. And I've never seen a Ferrari driven in the rain, so other high-end collecting genres share the same mentality I'm sure.
Nicely said.
I am a little bit of both. I'm a collector and a player. For me collecting guitar is way better than collecting a piece of art or painting. You don't get to play it and appreciate it. I collect high end guitar because to me they're a piece of art and all types of guitars are just plain old passion of mine. I play them each time I get a chance but very careful though.
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 03:30 PM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcoumbe View Post
dings tell the story of the guitar.

If you are buying guitars as an investment, then fine, but otherwise don't worry about dings etc.

Evo is arguably the most valuable jem of all and it is pretty ****ed
only because its vai's main axe... Its the same as any 7vwh

Some guitars should be locked away. Some should not. Expensive and "collector" are not exactly something that goes hand in hand. I rarely play my js6000, because I have literally never seen another one in person. It's fun to play and I'll get it out from time to time, but most of the time its locked in its case.

I think if you can afford to gig a jem over a 550, do it. Otherwise get the damn 550 and play it out. Some guitars are meant to be played out. My uncle has a 1964 Fender Strat, and its beat to hell, appraised at 19,000$ last time he checked (year or two ago). does he play? Against my cries of woah and anguish, yeah! lol. Its his main squeeze and he loves it.
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 09:01 PM

Reviews: 4

Screw that. My Holy Grail Guitar right now is a Fireman. Damn right I'm going to play it if I ever get one. Just like I'd play the Jem 10th if I got one.

They WANT to be played.
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 09:20 PM

Smile Re: too nice to play - playing ultra high end JEMs?

Yes all guitars to me I don't care if it is a high-end/low-end or collectable still needs to be strum and played with (carefully of course) just to appreciate the
sound of instrument.

This is my collection and of course I play them all (well not all at once)

post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 09:38 PM

Reviews: 1

When I had time to play, I had no money for good guitars. Now I have some money (thankfully) for good guitars and no time to play. I collect guitars now and most remain in new condition unfortunately.

But if I ever get the urge to play, I've got a few available.

Brett

www.gilaguitars.com

Last edited by brett8388; 01-20-2011 at 06:27 AM.
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 10:04 PM

Like a lot of people, guitar money is short so I have to sell others to buy new ones and just can't spend over $1000 on a guitar. Something wired in my brain that just says "no, what your doing with them does not warrant a $2000 guitar"

My guitars rarely leave the house and stay in incredible condition, getting wiped down quite regular. What I do have gets played. Like someone else said, things that aren't being used are not necessary and clutter.

Tags
dna , jem10th , jem20th , remc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode